Why become a member? Read more... ×
Commercial Opportunities Read more... ×
Bridgehouse

Interesting FRFR story..

You know you could have gone to private messages quite a while back right? 

😋

48 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

You know you could have gone to private messages quite a while back right? 

😋

And ruin everyone else’s enjoyment? We aren’t here to kill rock and roll y’know!

oh hang on...

• Haha 1

I've been working with the QSC K8.2's recently, not mine but owned by two guys I work with who have a pair each for PA and monitor duties.

The presets are a pretty terrible system, with just 'consumer-y' descriptions in the manual and no real info at all. Even between 'Default' and 'Studio Mon' it's not clear what going on. 'Default' is off and 'Studio Mon' EQ'd to compensate for the cabs natural voicing and make it flat? Possibly. Be good to know.

With the 4 band EQ and HPF (or 'sub' as they've unhelpfully called it) there is plenty to shape the response of the speaker. Those presets are just layered in with no actual info; 'Dance- low and high emphasis' is the most specific description I can find for one. Terms like 'vocal clarity' for the 'Live' setting, when set against 'added high-frequency boost to balance the sub' to differentiate 'Live Bright' are just making things even more murky than before. If 'Live' EQs for vocal clarity, why does 'Live Bright' add more top end to counteract 'the sub' which shouldn't be boosted when trying to achieve clarity in the first setting? How does any of this differ from 'Hand Held', which is for greater intelligibility (vocal clarity?) when using hand held mics. Does that mean an SM58 whether on a stand or not? Or only if held? If it also claims to reduce feedback, what frequencies is it targeting? How does that impact on the intelligibility? What if it just doesn't suit the room, so the clarity is gone and it doesn't catch the feedback? So, so vague.

Most of the presets sounded more like options for vocal monitoring to me rather than for FOH or instrument use, from memory only the dance and default presets sounded like something I'd want to use in that regard, obviously the bass amp preset for bass monitoring too. Would be nice if there was some more information in the manual.

5 hours ago, lemmywinks said:

Most of the presets sounded more like options for vocal monitoring to me rather than for FOH or instrument use, from memory only the dance and default presets sounded like something I'd want to use in that regard, obviously the bass amp preset for bass monitoring too. Would be nice if there was some more information in the manual.

What happened to all the shaping done at the desk? Sometimes things can be over complicated!

1 hour ago, EBS_freak said:

What happened to all the shaping done at the desk? Sometimes things can be over complicated!

Quite! Surely FRFR should be full-range flat-response by default.

Regardless of the pre-amp/amp sim one uses to stop it being FRFR.

2 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

Exactly, for live use this is the point. However the QSC has a 3rd 3.5mm input for hooking up a laptop/tablet/whatever to play music so I can see how the dance preset would be useful for omtting a desk entirely if you wanted to use it to provide music at a bbq or something - just plug your phone or whatever in and you're away. I'll use the bass amp preset in most cases if I'm just plugging straight into it at home, treating it like a combo amp so I don't have to get a preamp pedal out for a quick play..

Basically it encourages laziness which I'm all up for.

When I tried the QSC it wasn’t billed as a standard PA speaker, or actually as an frfr as such - the marketing bumf suggested it was a multi-use cab for a variety of instrument, vocal, live and recorded music applications.

As such, the dsp stuff is clearly there for a wider range of applications, for people who are just using one out and about or whatever.

I didn’t buy mine based on that at all. I had it set to a default flat eq and a/b’d it with a DXR10 and another. It was flat out better at bass - by a significant margin. It felt better quality and was in special so the price difference was small. 

I use it as a monitor with DI in from a preamp, and pass through out to the desk. 

I have used the “bass” setting as a stand-alone - it makes a good backup if my pedal board failed 2 mins before the gig - I’d plug straight in and get on with it. 

It was always bought as a small footprint easy to cart about live rig when I didn’t need to provide lots of backline heft. I have an EICH t1000 and a vanderkley 2x10 1200w cab for that. In its bag, I can carry it, and a pedalboard and a bass in one trip from car to venue, and take up virtually no space on board at all. I can point it at me directly for monitoring. Sound engineers love the fact they just plug in to it and don’t have to worry about a bass monitor. 

The rest of the band love it as I take up little room, don’t wash out the sound, and I even angle it towards the drummer to give him a bit more. He loves it too. Our keys player bought one for monitoring such was his enamour.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 13/07/2018 at 23:01, EBS_freak said:

On 14/07/2018 at 01:02, Jus Lukin said:

Quite! Surely FRFR should be full-range flat-response by default.

Regardless of the pre-amp/amp sim one uses to stop it being FRFR.

I can see a well thought out EQ being useful for the likes of Helix users. Sure, I could set up an EQ on Helix for FOH and one for monitoring on stage utilising separate outputs. However this does lead to a couple of small issues. The first is having to replicate all of those settings across all patches. If you edit one patch you're going to have to edit the lot if your EQ settings have changed. The other I suppose is that you could be taking up valuable chain space and at a push, in stereo a EQ with many bands is said to take up processing power (in the manual I think).

So for me, I think having the option of a powerful EQ on board the active speaker will mean that those EQ settings can stay the same and Helix wouldn't have to be adjusted as much.