Why become a member? ×

Jon Shuker Singlecut 6 fanned fret

peted

[quote name='peted' post='391647' date='Jan 26 2009, 12:42 PM']Got a bit too bored today, so decided to try to mock up something similar to what this bass might look like.

I used Dan's Doodle as the template photo for this. I couldn't get the pickups to angle and stay as rectangles without making the strings look funny. I also couldn't be doing with trying to convert the image from a 7 string to a 6.

It's just a quick hack to try to visualise the kind of thing i've got in my head ;)

[attachment=19230:shukersc.jpg][/quote]

AWESOME pete!! good skills there mate!

• 1 month later...

Received an email from Jon last night. The body has been routed, shaped and is ready to accept the neck. The neck is cut and routed to shape ready for the fretboard. Once the fretboard is on the neck can be glued into the body.

I've been told that I shall receive some photos tomorrow. Glee :)

[quote name='peted' post='445641' date='Mar 26 2009, 07:00 AM']Received an email from Jon last night. The body has been routed, shaped and is ready to accept the neck. The neck is cut and routed to shape ready for the fretboard. Once the fretboard is on the neck can be glued into the body.

I've been told that I shall receive some photos tomorrow. Glee :)[/quote]

Wow!
That's quick mate!
Good news though, can't wait to see 'em pics!

Eude

[quote name='eude' post='445669' date='Mar 26 2009, 08:37 AM']Wow!
That's quick mate!
Good news though, can't wait to see 'em pics!

Eude[/quote]
I'm quite happy that the progress so far has exceeded my predictions, but cautious as it sounds like the fret fanning hasn't been tackled yet. I'm guessing the lack of fancy wood veneers and things has reduced the build time of the body without all that gluing and pressing.

I'm quite excited about the prospect of getting some pictures too. As is generally the rule of the Bass Build forum, it didn't happen unless the photos have been uploaded :)

• 3 weeks later...

I've just used this site:

[url="http://www.fretfind.ekips.org/2d/nonparallel.php"]http://www.fretfind.ekips.org/2d/nonparallel.php[/url]

To plug in a few values to get a rough idea what the fanning will look like. Looks nice and subtle. Still super excited :)

[attachment=24179:fretboard.PNG]

• 1 month later...

Got an update from Jon last night. The fretboard is on the neck after a couple of trial runs. The bass should be entirely assembled in the next couple of weeks and ready for sanding and spraying.

I've been promised photos this weekend :)

[quote name='peted' post='499594' date='May 28 2009, 08:50 AM']Got an update from Jon last night. The fretboard is on the neck after a couple of trial runs. The bass should be entirely assembled in the next couple of weeks and ready for sanding and spraying.[/quote]

Thats quick!

[quote name='peted' post='499594' date='May 28 2009, 08:50 AM']I've been promised photos this weekend :)[/quote]

Really looking forward to these photos!

Edited by Mikey R

• 1 month later...

Still no photos, but an email update.

[quote name='Jon Shuker']The bass is presently being sprayed, I've put the barrier lacquers on
and its ready for polyester now and then the black![/quote]

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Mikey R' post='557564' date='Aug 1 2009, 06:25 AM']Hey Pete, did you get any new photos through?[/quote]
No, haven't had anything through yet. I'll probably give him a buzz in the next couple of weeks to see how things are coming along.

• 2 weeks later...

Update from Jon - he's hoping to get the black sprayed this week if he can find a day when they aren't sanding.

He's not sure that the 32" C string will hold adequate tension but intends to try a .035" string to see how it feels. Also feels there might be a problem with difference in volume between the B and C strings due to difference in mass, but I reckon that this can be negated by having the pickups closer to the skinny strings.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='peted' post='579546' date='Aug 24 2009, 08:55 PM']These just in. Oh. My. God.
[attachment=31487:DSC_2121.jpg]
[attachment=31488:DSC_2123.jpg][/quote]

GULP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow!!!!! :)) Awesome Pete!!!!!

Thanks Merton, Dood. Latest update from Jon:

[quote name='Jon Shuker']I'm in the middle of flatting the lacquer before its polished, then its a case of bolting all the bits on, a bit of fretwork, a bit of a rest and its done! Still a bit to do but we're on the home straight.[/quote]

I don't think it's going to be ready for the next SE Basschat Bash at the beginning of October, so won't be able to show it off :) You'll all have to wait until the S.E.B.B. 2010 to see it in person. Hopefully I'll also have had enough practice to do the bass justice! :rolleyes:

Edited by peted