Why become a member? ×

Jon Shuker Singlecut 6 fanned fret

peted

[quote name='peted' post='783291' date='Mar 23 2010, 12:21 PM']If I don't hear that it's finished by the end of April I'll be setting a deadline for completion. I don't want this bass rushed out of the door at the last minute, but I feel I've lost leverage since it's mostly paid for now.[/quote]

I think that's fair given the amount of time and patience you've displayed waiting for this to be finished. I can understand that it takes longer than a normal build given the fret fan etc, but it must be really tough for you seeing it so near to finished for so long now. Of course that said it doesn't look far away now.

Just try to think of something else until it arrives - [i]Margaret Thatcher on a cold day, Margaret Thatcher on a cold day,[/i] - sorry that's a differnt knid of delaying tactic :)

[quote name='gilmour' post='784266' date='Mar 24 2010, 01:30 AM'][i]Margaret Thatcher on a cold day, Margaret Thatcher on a cold day,[/i][/quote]

Ha ha!
Nice to know there's a fellow fan of Richard Richard and Edward Hitler on here :)

Eude

Hi Pete

It's looking good man but boy I sympathize with you dude - you've waited a hell of a long time for this - pardon my ignorance but what is going on with the finish? Is is going to be a satin varnish or high gloss? Just looks like that is needing to be finished off as well - let us know.

Good luck man and hang in there - I feel your pain - just remember it'll all be worth it in the end

Cheers

Mike

[quote name='urb' post='784493' date='Mar 24 2010, 10:55 AM']Is is going to be a satin varnish or high gloss?[/quote]
It's going to be a high gloss. That was the first thing to surprise me when I saw it that the finish hadn't yet been 'finished'. I'm guessing that when saying 'the finish is done' meant that the finish has all been sprayed on but still needs to be flattened and polished. My realisation now is that the photo from August looks polished and glossy because the paint is still wet. Silly me :)

Jon had polished the area around the pickups and that looked superb and mirror-like. I think you can make that out in the close-up of the pickups.

I wouldn't be put off by long(ish) wait times, from any builder.
Jon's basses tend to take a little longer than he quotes, but they're still worth it.
I waited 12 weeks for my first Shuker and 12 months for my second which was a far simpler bass!

If you look at other build diaries, it's not very common for anyone to get a even a relatively standard custom bass from any of the high end guys here in the UK in much less than 12 months at the moment.
Custom basses take a while and given human nature, there'll always be delays and set backs as life finds a way to mess with everyone's work from time to time.

To speed things up means improving workshop facilities and taking on more staff which means price increases.
I'd rather wait 12 months for a bass with a lower price tag to be honest...

[b]Peted[/b], I know this doesn't help with your frustrations, but I think you should just have a good chat with Jon, tell him how you're feeling about the situation and ask him how he can remedy it. As you know, he's an awesome guy, so he'll do everything he can to fix things :)

Just my 2p.

Eude

[quote name='JMT3781' post='784589' date='Mar 24 2010, 12:34 PM']I was considering ordering a second Shuker... but may look further afield now for my next bass...[/quote]
Woah! I don't want to put people off getting a Shuker built! His basses are amazing and the amount of time it has taken to build my bass is purely an exception. Jon hasn't done fanned frets before and I'm happy that he's taking his time getting it right first time. There have also been other things which have caused a delay.

Unfortunately it's very difficult to put across emotion in text and nothing I've written so far has really been a 'rant' as such. I'm still a happy customer :) Just very excited about getting a new bass to my own specification and I want it NOW!! :rolleyes: :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='peted' post='784791' date='Mar 24 2010, 04:22 PM']Woah! I don't want to put people off getting a Shuker built! His basses are amazing and the amount of time it has taken to build my bass is purely an exception. Jon hasn't done fanned frets before and I'm happy that he's taking his time getting it right first time. There have also been other things which have caused a delay.

Unfortunately it's very difficult to put across emotion in text and nothing I've written so far has really been a 'rant' as such. I'm still a happy customer :rolleyes: Just very excited about getting a new bass to my own specification and I want it NOW!! :lol: :lol:[/quote]

Yeah, i love my shuker bass, its amazing, and jon is a great guy.
The problem is me i fear :lol: I'm just far too impatient to wait for a bass the way i waited for my jazz. I'mjust keeping an eye on his stock page to see if something comes up i like, failing that a nordy might be nice :)

[quote name='peted' post='803370' date='Apr 12 2010, 08:27 AM']I let Jon know that the earliest I'm likely to be able to get back to his workshop will be May and just this morning got an email back saying that May should be fine for a finish date :rolleyes:[/quote]

Awesome news mate :)

[quote name='throwoff' post='803374' date='Apr 12 2010, 08:35 AM']I got an email back from him this morning too about a quote we are putting together at the moment.

VERY excited![/quote]

You're going to have to spill the beans... :lol:

[quote name='eude' post='803393' date='Apr 12 2010, 08:05 AM']You're going to have to spill the beans... :)[/quote]

Unfortuantly not yet!
I want my final quote and to have given the man some cash so I know its coming before I spill said beans!

Plus im pretty sure a lot of BC'ers will not be that 'into' my design!

[quote name='throwoff' post='804651' date='Apr 13 2010, 10:42 AM']Unfortuantly not yet!
I want my final quote and to have given the man some cash so I know its coming before I spill said beans!

Plus im pretty sure a lot of BC'ers will not be that 'into' my design![/quote]

Why? its not got six strings and requires distortion to hide mistakes does it?

Saying that, when i was at "shukerworld" i saw a guitar he had made.. was very nice :)

Its an off the shelf body shape! Quite a well know one although Im not sure because of the request whether he will make it look more shaped like the orignal than his usual shape which is ever so slightly different

and it has 4 strings!

As soon as I get 100% quote I will post the specs!

Edited by throwoff

[quote name='throwoff' post='804651' date='Apr 13 2010, 10:42 AM']Plus im pretty sure a lot of BC'ers will not be that 'into' my design![/quote]

All the more reason to post it! I'm quite happy with the fact that people might not be 'in to' a Singlecut 7 string, but for those that like designs that are a bit 'out there', it's great to share! - Oh.. and not to mention, it's actually deep in-built in to Jon's psyche - He can not build a bad bass. He'd rather ditch something he wasn't truly happy with than let it go out of his workshop door. Which to me makes it worth the wait. My point is - I think lots of people will be in to the bass design for sure!

[quote name='throwoff' post='811052' date='Apr 19 2010, 09:27 AM']I really want to post mine!
But it feels a bit wrong doing so before I have given John any money, although getting some feedback from other BC'ers on my idea could be useful[/quote]

You can always set it up as a "Discussion" thread... :)

I wouldn't design anything by committee, especially on here! You'd end up with a monstrocity.

The best person to get feedback from for your ideas would be Jon himself as he's got to build it at the end of the day and has as much experience building basses as anyone on here.

[quote name='eude' post='811055' date='Apr 19 2010, 09:29 AM']You can always set it up as a "Discussion" thread... :rolleyes:[/quote]

Smarter man than I!

[quote name='peted' post='811067' date='Apr 19 2010, 09:39 AM']I wouldn't design anything by committee, especially on here! You'd end up with a monstrocity.

The best person to get feedback from for your ideas would be Jon himself as he's got to build it at the end of the day and has as much experience building basses as anyone on here.[/quote]

I do not want it comittee designed of course! And of course Jon will have the best feedback as a builder. Would be nice to get some ideas from you guys who must play far more often than I do!

But anyway
I shall wait
:)

Edited by throwoff

• 4 weeks later...

I sent Jon an email having to admit that it didn't look likely that I'd be able to find time to make my way up to Sheffield this month. I'm now looking to find a day in June to pick the bass up. Jon says that he'll have the bass finished for whatever date I set.