Why become a member? ×

'79 Precision maple fretless

Beedster

EDIT 22/11/08

OK folks, despite several flirtations with potential buyers, this old girl is still sitting pretty chez Beedster. As you may have noticed from my sig, there are two new fretlesses (fretlii?) sitting in the Beedster flock, and I really have to get some cash back into the bank account. To be honest I've been a bit of an impulsive prat recently and I'm paying for it now, I really thought - going on responses from people who've seen and played it - that this baby was going to fly out as soon as I listed it. C'est la vie :huh: !

So, can I suggest the following as options in my order of preference...?

1. £700 cash!
2. A good 400/500w head (Mark Bass would be nice) plus cash depending on value of head
3. A good 400/500w combo plus cash depending on value of combo
4. A good Precision (MIJ/MIA) plus cash depending on value
5. Straight swap for a vintage Precision (I'll then sell mine as I have several buyers lined up for that)

Collection from Cobham (Junction 10, M25), meeting midway, or courier (the latter £27.00 by Parcelforce 24). I'll throw in a good quality new hard case also.
Apologies for the essay :)

Chris

================================================================================================

Suffice to say the most stunning bass I've owned, I get comments on it literally everywhere I take it. Earlier this year the body was refinished by Martin Simms, who produced a 3-tone sunburst that would make the guys at the Fender Custom Shop hang their heads in shame. The board seems virtually unplayed, it is unmarked and extremely smooth and fast to play. The action - with TI Jazz flats - is like melted butter, the tone is somewhere between jazz upright and classic jaco, beautiful.

All parts are original except the pickguard and (I think) the pots. The refin cost £300 so you'll understand that the price tag of £750 is a steal. Collection, meeting or courier can all be arranged depending on location/preference.

Cheers

Chris

[attachment=15676:CIMG0236.JPG][attachment=15675:CIMG0235.JPG]

Edited by Beedster

Well... :huh:

What can I say - this is just stunning. Utterly gobsmacking.

Good luck with the sale, this would look amazing next to my humble collection of Leoaxes.

I bet that maple board is like glass....awesome bass mate. :)

If it should remain with you I could be interested next year when I have more dosh...

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='329848' date='Nov 15 2008, 08:36 PM']...shame I'm pants on the fretless :)[/quote]

Join the club mate :huh:

I'm feeling generous tonight guys so hit me with interesting trades or decent cash offers...... :huh:

Chris

[quote name='Delberthot' post='331119' date='Nov 17 2008, 10:45 PM']Anything I am selling now take your fancy?[/quote]

I think we know the answer to that :huh:

Now at £750 to BCers. A great & rare bass at a great price. On ebay at £850, but let's keep it in the community guys as you know I'll need to be buying it back one day :)

Chris

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='323921' date='Nov 7 2008, 08:00 AM']If only now had been six months ago...![/quote]

Looking at both your avatar and your signature - and forgiving the few years difference as evidenced by the logos and pickguards - I can't help thinking that this bass should be in your collection Michael, it's the only combination you haven't got :)

I have owned most of the basses I always wanted to own but this is one of the few that so far I haven't.

First saw one on the inside gatefold sleeve of Queen's 'live killers' LP

First GAS I ever had at 11 years old.

One day i will have the cash waiting when one of these comes up for sale.

OK folks, despite several flirtations with potential buyers, this old girl is still sitting pretty chez Beedster. As you may have noticed from my sig, there are two new fretlesses (fretlii?) sitting in the Beedster flock, and I really have to get some cash back into the bank account. To be honest I've been a bit of an impulsive prat recently and I'm paying for it now, I really thought - going on responses from people who've seen and played it - that this baby was going to fly out as soon as I listed it. C'est la vie :huh: !

So, can I suggest the following as options in my order of preference...?

1. £700 cash.
2. A good 400/500w head (Mark Bass would be nice) plus cash depending on value of head
3. A good 400/500w combo plus cash depending on value of combo
4. A good Precision (MIJ/MIA) plus cash depending on value
5. Straight swap for a vintage Precision (I'll then sell mine as I have several buyers lined up for that)

Collection from Cobham (Junction 10, M25), meeting midway, or courier (the latter £27.00 by Parcelforce 24). I'll throw in a good quality new hard case also.
Apologies for the essay :)

Chris

Edited by Beedster

[quote name='mcgraham' post='333670' date='Nov 21 2008, 10:19 AM']That’s a stunning finish. I will admit to slight temptation but I’m sorted for basses at present :huh:
Best of luck moving it on!

Mark[/quote]

Cheers Mark, it's pretty ******* special for sure and I'm amazed no-one's gone for it. TBH I'm tempted to part it out as I've had offers for both the body and the neck, and no doubt the original PUPs, bridge and machines would go pretty quickly also. Said I'd never part out a bass but, well, there you go.... :)
Cheers
Chris

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='334096' date='Nov 21 2008, 08:59 PM']The refinish?[/quote]

If it was Two-Tone i would be clambering to find the extra moolah! In fact any other finish. 3 Tone just rubs me up the wrong way :)

Edited by Shockwave

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='334096' date='Nov 21 2008, 08:59 PM']The refinish?[/quote]

I don't recall describing it as either vintage or collectable, simply as rare, which it undoubtedly is, and as a great player, also true :)

Thanks to the rest of you for your slightly more constructive comments :huh:

My incoming Markbass head deal has just fallen through so if anyone has one and wants to do some form of PX deal with this, let's do it. Otherwise I think I'm going to split the bass :huh:

Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='334183' date='Nov 22 2008, 12:06 AM']I don't recall describing it as either vintage or collectable, simply as rare, which it undoubtedly is, and as a great player, also true :)

Thanks to the rest of you for your slightly more constructive comments :huh:[/quote]

I wasn't trying to be constructive or otherwise. Someone rhetorically asked why it was still here and that's the thing that primarily put me off it, so that's what I said.

It still looks like a nice bass, I just prefer old basses to look like old basses.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='334225' date='Nov 22 2008, 04:01 AM']I wasn't trying to be constructive or otherwise. Someone rhetorically asked why it was still here and that's the thing that primarily put me off it, so that's what I said.

It still looks like a nice bass, I just prefer old basses to look like old basses.[/quote]

Ah OK, I think I misconstrued your post :)
Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='334231' date='Nov 22 2008, 07:29 AM']Ah OK, I think I misconstrued your post :)
Chris[/quote]

One last try on the bay

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180308358479"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=180308358479[/url]

Chris