Why become a member? ×

5 string bass - Maruszczyk/Sandberg

Freddie75

Hi guys,

Just wondered if anyone owns or has played 5 string versions of the above basses and how they compare with the Fender Jazz Deluxe 5.

I've been looking at the Sandberg TM5 and the Maruszczyk Elwood basses (keeping with the Jazz theme).

I have tried the Fender Jazz Deluxe 5 String and found the neck a bit wide and uncomfortable for me so am wondering how the necks on the above compare to it?

Many thanks in advance
Freddie

Welcome to try one ;)

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/311947-ftfs-maruszczyk-elwood-l5a-5-string-custom-handmade-j-type/page__p__3372486#entry3372486"]http://basschat.co.u...86#entry3372486[/url]

Neck is slim, similar to an Ibanez, and not as wide as the Mex Jazz V that i had

Edited by mrn1989

I think you'll find that, regardless of neck dimensions, either a Sandberg or a Maruszczyk will blow a Fender out of the water. I don't say this particularly as a Fender hater, but as an appreciator of the level of craftsmanship that goes into the Sandy and the Marusz instruments!

Two offers to try one out? You've got to love BC.

I haven't tried the five string versions, but I own 2 4 string Maruszczyk Elwoods and have previously owned a 4 stringed 'Berg, along with numerous Fenders (USA and MIM). The level of craftsmanship on the two European manufacturers' instruments is superb, outstripping the big F easily, the only Fender that I have played that I say can say comes close was a Reggie Hamilton Custom Shop creation, which came with a huge price tag. With regard to neck dimensions, you can specify the size with Adrian at Maruszczyk if you decide to go down the custom build route.

I prefer the neck on a Maruszczyk to a 5 string Fender. It was like a Lakland 55. Much more comfortable for me. Lets not forget you can specify your neck with a Maruszczyk. So its a mute point. The biggest deal i found is with a Maruszczyk in particular, your getting a high end bass, for way less money than a high end Fender.

Fender are riding on there name to certain extent.

[font=Verdana][size=3]
I played a 5 string Sandberg a few days ago and I was very impressed with it. The neck felt really smooth and easy to get around, for me it was on the thin side and slightly wide but not difficult for my small hands to get around - certainly not as thin and narrow as an Ibanez. It felt somewhat between a Ken Smith and Sadowsky, (based on my memory of owning these basses several years ago). The whole bass felt solid without being heavy and the sound was what I want from a bass - lots of fundamental tone with strong mids and a pleasing high end. I didn’t play around with the electronics because the tones set flat were spot on for my taste, for me this is a sign of a good instrument.[/size][/font][font=Verdana][size=3]
I’ve been looking for a 5 string for a while now and I feel that a Sandberg is a good bass for me to get. I’m sure the Maruszczyk basses are great as well, however I’ve not played one myself to compare to. I have played a few jazz 5 basses and while Fender basses are good I felt the Sandberg was better. Of course this is just my opinion so take it with a pinch of salt.[/size][/font]