Why become a member? ×

What the hell is a "pocket", more so a "deep pocket"?

thepurpleblob

I keep reading this expression. It used to only seem to appear in American publications but has now crept over here... "his playing is deep in the pocket" etc.. What on earth does it mean? As is traditional I should ask if there are any other bass-related expressions that are utterly baffling?

'in the pocket' refers to playing tight onto the beat and not straying from it or improvisng.

Listen to trad US music and very rarely will you hear the bass player deviate from what the drums are doing. Keeping in tight rythm with the drummer is 'in the pocket'.

IIRC

I think a deep pocket is keeping tight with teh bass drum only and playing off the beat of it.

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='322636' date='Nov 5 2008, 01:32 PM']I keep reading this expression. It used to only seem to appear in American publications but has now crept over here... "his playing is deep in the pocket" etc.. What on earth does it mean? As is traditional I should ask if there are any other bass-related expressions that are utterly baffling?[/quote]

It means that it has the qualities of a 5p piece and a nugget of fluff.

S.P.

[quote name='The Burpster' post='322640' date='Nov 5 2008, 01:36 PM']'in the pocket' refers to playing tight onto the beat and not straying from it or improvisng.

Listen to trad US music and very rarely will you hear the bass player deviate from what the drums are doing. Keeping in tight rythm with the drummer is 'in the pocket'.

IIRC[/quote]

So then, to push my luck to the limits, what's the difference between being "deep" in the pocket as opposed to, one would assume, "shallow" in the pocket? :)

Playing deep in the pocket is when you're absolutely dead on grooving as hard as can be - when everything is just right. You could be improvising, you could be playing tons of fills but the essence of it is about be absolutely spot-on with your timing and feel (and note that this does not simply equate to playing on the centre of the beat).

Alex

[color="#4169E1"][size=6]G[/size][/color]ear
[color="#4169E1"][size=6]A[/size][/color]cquisition
[color="#4169E1"][size=6]S[/size][/color]yndrome

characterised by one never being quite happy with what you have and an urge to find that elusive bass / amp / cab that defines your sound & makes you go aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

[quote name='Adrenochrome' post='322670' date='Nov 5 2008, 02:06 PM']What about MOJO then ??![/quote]
Thats the art of f***ing up and overpriced instrument,and selling it for more..its in the same section of the Dictionary beside 'Evilbay' 'Scammers' and 'Relicing' (which is the 'pre' of the above)

Dents and scuffs....

[quote name='WalMan' post='322671' date='Nov 5 2008, 02:07 PM'][color="#4169E1"][size=6]G[/size][/color]ear

characterised by one never being quite happy with what you have and an urge to find that elusive bass / amp / cab that defines your sound & makes you go aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah[/quote]

but that dosent make sense? suley GEAR AQUiSTION SYNDROME would indicate you can't stop Aquiring gear? kind of kleptomania style? what a sill expression, glad i was in the dark about that! :)

[quote name='lateralus462' post='322659' date='Nov 5 2008, 01:53 PM']What a stupid f**king expression.[/quote]

Um, not really - it's a good way of saying; "he's right in the groove" etc - it's been around for years and nothing to do with being a mega-muso - John Entwhistle had a great pocket groove, as does Paul MacCartney, as did James Jamerson, Jaco - Billy Sheehan can grind a great funky line as can Flea...

Etc etc

M

[quote name='urb' post='322675' date='Nov 5 2008, 02:12 PM']Um, not really - it's a good way of saying; "he's right in the groove" etc - it's been around for years and nothing to do with being a mega-muso - John Entwhistle had a great pocket groove, as does Paul MacCartney, as did James Jamerson, Jaco - Billy Sheehan can grind a great funky line as can Flea...

Etc etc

M[/quote]

I'm not saying it doesn't make sense - I just think it's a crap way of saying it.

[quote name='WalMan' post='322671' date='Nov 5 2008, 02:07 PM'][color="#4169E1"][size=6]G[/size][/color]ear

characterised by one never being quite happy with what you have and an urge to find that elusive bass / amp / cab that defines your sound & makes you go aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah[/quote]

There is even a GasFest !

I played at it last week as it happens.

Old site (We didn't get one this year - so more money could go to charity): [url="http://www.gasfest.co.uk/"]http://www.gasfest.co.uk/[/url]

[quote name='lateralus462' post='322677' date='Nov 5 2008, 02:15 PM']I'm not saying it doesn't make sense - I just think it's a crap way of saying it.[/quote]

Soooo
How would you describe what it means in three words or less?

It's just jargon and as such it conveys a concept to the knowing in an easy way. If we did away with jargon in life we'd all have to type and talk a lot more.
It can be frustrating to be outside the group that knows what it means but once you've crossed that barrier it makes things easier.

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='OldGit' post='322710' date='Nov 5 2008, 03:13 PM']Soooo
How would you describe what it means in three words or less?

It's just jargon and as such it conveys a concept to the knowing in an easy way. If we did away with jargon in life we'd all have to type and talk a lot more.
It can be frustrating to be outside the group that knows what it means but once you've crossed that barrier it makes things easier.[/quote]

"Tight" and "Groove" 2 words that describe what this means perfectly. It's just one of those phrases that I really don't like. Almost as bad as guitards describing their sound as "blue"