Why become a member? ×

Labella 760 gold flats.....

I had a set on my p bass a few weeks back. I have to say they felt and sounded great. That being said they have a much lower output than other strings which I found to be a bit of an issue for me. Went back to Dunlop flats instead.

Definitely worth a try though; maybe stick them on a bass with a hotter output

I've got them on my p bass, have done for a while, switched from the normal 760 flats. The different alloy is a different feel but I've gotten used to it. They do bring a different sound, a bit more mids, albeit slightly lower Output. You can still get the normal flat thump out of them as well

Well I popped out the kids birthday party and grabbed a set, I have a 1973 Precision which was strung with the regular labella 760fs which I've put these gold strings on, and a 64 with a set of 760fl. These do sound quite different to the regular set? Not quite the same thump but plenty of gritty mid growl which I'm liking, tension seems similar and out put marginally less than the standard, they feel pretty good too, early days yet but I like these quite a lot.

• 4 years later...

I managed to accidentally buy a set of Labella Gold Flats thinking I had got a short scale set. Not sure how I did that but I have Covid at the moment, so perhaps my mind is scrambled. Anyway, before I try to return them, I think I have three options to use them: long scale 51 P bass with through stringing (Labella say they are not suitable for string through bridges); Ibanez EHB1000S, which would mean cutting them; cut them and use them on a standard short scale.

Has anybody tried using 760 FGS on a through body bridge? Was it OK or did they cause issues? Is it OK to cut them for the EHB1000S, or will they unravel? If they don’t unravel, I guess another option would be to cut them and use them in a standard short scale, provided I can get them in the machine head slots. Again LaBella says only the cloth wrapped part of the string should be on the machine heads.

Anybody tried any of this?

Edited by Obrienp

23 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Re the through body stringing, labella only recommended LTFs and 760FS-TB , I wouldn’t try the golds myself, they might be ok but you wouldn’t want to ruin them 🙂

Yes, I think you are right. I’ll just have to accept I’ve been an idiot and return them.

Still interested to know if I can use them in the EHB 1000S though.

• Like 1

On 23/07/2017 at 11:58, chrisanthony1211 said:

Well I'm currently sat in a kids birthday party a five minute drive from electromusic who stock these, I may see if I can slip out for 10 minutes!!

You deserve some new strings for sure after attending a kids birthday party, in fact if you spend more than an hour there you might need to treat yourself to a new bass to go with them for services rendered!!