Why become a member? ×

hello i am back and some advice please

mac1012

Hi there i joined this site a few months ago but due to work comittments and blah blah blah i never got going on the bass as i had intended to.

Someone from my local church has long trem loaned me a squire jass bass and very nice it is , although i wouldnt be the colour of my choice being blue and white but i figured it would be ok to get me going.

i have been playing around with it the past couple of weeks and been enjoying it very much , getting used to fretting a bass , building a few simple riffs and practicing the C scale and E Minor penatonic.

So time to get serious and i am on the look out for a book , a member on here has kindly sent me a idiots guide for bass download which is good.

i am wanting a book that is similar to when i learned flute a few years ago in such as a progressive book that builds note by note etc and eplains were the notes are on the staff in relation to the fret board etc and builds on good fretting technique etc. I have been looking at the alfred series that looks good and has been mentioned on here as being suitable for beginners.

i have seen a couple of other basic books in my local music shop but one was teaching the C scale with open d note etc and the other was teaching using fretted notes higher up , so i couldn't decide on either lol

What is the general consensus for a beginner is it the standard scale pattern i leant on the guitar for the C scale or is the fretted note pattern more advisable ? i know its prob both but wondered what would be best for a beginner. Or any other bokks that may be suitable for a beginner.

Thanks Mark

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1499968800' post='3334914']
Hi Mark
I would highly recommend the Ed friedland bass books
[/quote]

Agree...and IMO this is one of his best. Volumes 1-3 in one spiral bound edition.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hal-Leonard-Bass-Method-Complete/dp/0793563836

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1499974024' post='3334954']
Agree...and IMO this is one of his best. Volumes 1-3 in one spiral bound edition.

[url="https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hal-Leonard-Bass-Method-Complete/dp/0793563836"]https://www.amazon.c...e/dp/0793563836[/url]
[/quote]

+1 for this ^^. Very complete, and nicely progressive for beginners. Excellent choice for a principle bass method.

[quote name='mac1012' timestamp='1499965700' post='3334891']
...What is the general consensus for a beginner is it the standard scale pattern i leant on the guitar for the C scale or is the fretted note pattern more advisable ? i know its prob both but wondered what would be best for a beginner. Or any other bokks that may be suitable for a beginner.

Thanks Mark
[/quote]

Welcome back!

Careful now... you might be over thinking it at this early stage.

Where you play your scale on the neck can vary according to a few things not least of which is the reach between the fingers of your fretting hand. There are a few positions along the neck where you can play exactly the same scale in exactly the same octave. More choices pop up if you add a fifth string above or below.

Your reach will improve, trust me, but until it does there is little point in worrying about whether scales include open strings or not. Go for the comfortable ones at first position where you have the widest fret intervals and gradually challenge yourself with the more difficult ones. Search for stretching exercises for your fretting fingers too. Unless you already have fingers like tarantula legs you are sure to benefit.

I am sorry that I can't recommend any specific publications but I strongly suggest that you do not settle for just one. Opinions vary. Abilities vary. These days hardware is so much more advanced that new rules are being written all of the time. Cherry pick, if you will, from the fruits of experienced players who share stuff for free on YT

Above all, ENJOY your journey into the land of low. Constantly reaching for your bottom end needn't be a questionable pursuit.

[attachment=249013:Tarantula.png]
[url="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/9974215/Tarantula-the-size-of-a-dinner-plate-discovered-in-Sri-Lanka.html"]http://www.telegraph...-Sri-Lanka.html[/url]

Hi there i joined this site a few months ago but due to work comittments and blah blah blah i never got going on the bass as i had intended to.

Someone from my local church has long trem loaned me a squire jass bass and very nice it is , although i wouldnt be the colour of my choice being blue and white but i figured it would be ok to get me going.

i have been playing around with it the past couple of weeks and been enjoying it very much , getting used to fretting a bass , building a few simple riffs and practicing the C scale and E Minor penatonic.

So time to get serious and i am on the look out for a book , a member on here has kindly sent me a idiots guide for bass download which is good.

i am wanting a book that is similar to when i learned flute a few years ago in such as a progressive book that builds note by note etc and eplains were the notes are on the staff in relation to the fret board etc and builds on good fretting technique etc. I have been looking at the alfred series that looks good and has been mentioned on here as being suitable for beginners.

i have seen a couple of other basic books in my local music shop but one was teaching the C scale with open d note etc and the other was teaching using fretted notes higher up , so i couldn't decide on either lol

What is the general consensus for a beginner is it the standard scale pattern i leant on the guitar for the C scale or is the fretted note pattern more advisable ? i know its prob both but wondered what would be best for a beginner. Or any other bokks that may be suitable for a beginner.

Thanks Mark
[/quote]
I really rate Stuart Claytons "100 things"
https://www.amazon.com/Tips-Bass-Guitar-Should-Have/dp/1844920046

He is also a member here

Thanks Mark
[/quote]

YouTube, query any bass study you want. Even Scott's Bass Playing has some free tutorials for beginners.

And you can use YouTube clips as a metronome. Just enter whatever bpm you want to play along to.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1500079543' post='3335550']
YouTube, query any bass study you want. Even Scott's Bass Playing has some free tutorials for beginners.

And you can use Your be clips as a metronome. Just enter whatever bpm you want to play along to.

Blue
[/quote]

That facility had escaped my attention. Thanks for the heads up Blue.

I save clips locally [i]then[/i] adjust the speed when I need to but it is useful to know that you can time warp a YT stream without a pitch change. I'll look into that a bit more for myself because it isn't (legally) possible to save some YT clips.

Can I recommend that you check out some youtube vids on hand positioning. It is 100% vital to your playing, stamina, strength reach and tone. It will seem trivial now - in a years time you will have to unlearn bad habits if you don't.

I can highly recommend Stuart Clayton's 100 things as well, lovely well laid out book which is easy to read and understand. YouTube is also an amazing resource for musicians and I am always using the playback speed settings to learn tricky basslines.

Studybass +1.

Plus I regularly use [url="https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYr3b0FfZSWeEM-A85zf9HQ"]LumBeat[/url] on youtube - it is a drummer that covers BPM 60 - 200 both straight/shuffle times a bit more interesting than a metronome.
I did read through Bass Guitar for Dummies and it will give you the basics - good for scales and understanding grooves eg chord tones etc and had CD too

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1500096548' post='3335563']

That facility had escaped my attention. Thanks for the heads up Blue.

I save clips locally [i]then[/i] adjust the speed when I need to but it is useful to know that you can time warp a YT stream without a pitch change. I'll look into that a bit more for myself because it isn't (legally) possible to save some YT clips.
[/quote]

https://youtu.be/x7df8E4lvPs

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1500108570' post='3335642']
[url="https://youtu.be/x7df8E4lvPs"]https://youtu.be/x7df8E4lvPs[/url]

Blue
[/quote]

My mistake. I misunderstood completely. Hahahahaha!

Seriously though, @ OP, if you'd like to play-along to your favourite tunes but at a slower speed I'd suggest a good media player like VLC. It is free and less cluttered with fluff than some others. By default the speed change does not alter the pitch. It can be set to alter pitch proportional to speed just like analogue tape would if you want however. Handy if you're practicing BVs for your Pinky and Perky tribute band.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBG2Fpg1x-Q[/media]

thanks for all you replies and help , I am writing this on my lunch break but suffice to say I have just received the bass method books 123 together from amazon after seeing some off you recommend it to me. only trouble is its audio download and not cds as not big fan of downloads prefer the cds so I might return it and get the CD version.

many thanks mark

It takes all sorts I guess, but against the advice of other members my personal experience of trying to learn an instrument from a book is not good. Theres no substitue for proper tuition.

I say this as someone who was self taught for years before taking some lessons. I learnt more in the 3 years of lessons than I had in 10 years of trying to do it myself.

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1500460810' post='3337909']
It takes all sorts I guess, but against the advice of other members my personal experience of trying to learn an instrument from a book is not good. Theres no substitue for proper tuition.

I say this as someone who was self taught for years before taking some lessons. I learnt more in the 3 years of lessons than I had in 10 years of trying to do it myself.
[/quote]

+1