Why become a member? ×

Punters Don't Know The Difference

blue

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1501066427' post='3342165']
That's not similar to blue, his house might be paid for but as he says he MUST gig to survive, you don't.
[/quote]

If my band folded and I couldn't find another band with work I would have to get a regular job at least part time.

Blue

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1501068456' post='3342187']

I was curious to know what the drive was that made him change priorities in life.

Dave
[/quote]

I was at least twice the age of everyone in the office,I had worked for 35 years and I refused to answer to Millennials.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1501016755' post='3341880']

Who was the drummer in Brand X and Rainbow ?

Dave
[/quote]

Chuck Burgi, he was with Brand X in the mid 70s. If you YouTube Chuck some of his work with Rainboat should come up.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1501087024' post='3342410']

We have done weddings on request only. We have done corporate/functions shows and we get our share of festival and fair business. We're playing the Washington County Fair this weekend.

We're primarily a "down & dirty" bar band IMO. It's where we're most comfortable.

Blue
[/quote]

Cool T-Bird Blue.....one of those is defo on my 'must own one day' list

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1501088625' post='3342431']
Chuck Burgi, he was with Brand X in the mid 70s. If you YouTube Chuck some of his work with Rainboat should come up.

Blue
[/quote]

Followed them for a while when Phil Collins was with them probably late 70's tho.
Percy Jones was a big influence on my playing style back then.
Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

[quote name='ricksterphil' timestamp='1501091464' post='3342467']

Cool T-Bird Blue.....one of those is defo on my 'must own one day' list
[/quote]

Thanks,

Cool looking and fun to play. I've been gigging it a lot lately.

Blue

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1501092319' post='3342475']

Followed them for a while when Phil Collins was with them probably late 70's tho.
Percy Jones was a big influence on my playing style back then.
Dave[/quote]

I'm pretty sure Chuck came after Phil. Do we have a historian here?

Brand X is Booked in a small bar here in Millwaukee next month.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1501097608' post='3342544']
I'm pretty sure Chuck came after Phil. Do we have a historian here?

Brand X is Booked in a small bar here in Millwaukee next month.

Blue
[/quote]
Googled and he came after Collins right enough late 77 into 78.
Barnd X started 75 to 80 and then again 92 to 99 and obviously playing again now since 2016.
Think Percy Jones move to New York many years ago.

Dave

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1501102803' post='3342598']

Googled and he came after Collins right enough late 77 into 78.
Barnd X started 75 to 80 and then again 92 to 99 and obviously playing again now since 2016.
Think Percy Jones move to New York many years ago.

Dave
[/quote]

Sounds right to me. I'm looking forward to their show even if $30.00 seems a bit steep.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1501115783' post='3342656']
Sounds right to me. I'm looking forward to their show even if $30.00 seems a bit steep.

Blue
[/quote]

They are quite well known musicians tho and if you're into Jazz style playing then $30 doesn't seem too much. Should be an interesting gig. Wish i could be there.

Post some pics or Vids if you go.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

getting back on track, last night we were chatting after practice and recently we played at a festival, and one of the bands performed a cover we do, badly, and the crowd were all dancing around enjoying themselves, reminded me of a comment our old guitarist made once, "people hear what's in their heads not what's going in their ears"

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1499887085' post='3334363']
Very true.

I think most people making the comment 'Punters don't know the difference' do so with a sense of exasperation - namely that all their efforts to hone their sound, their playing chops, and the tightness of their band, go unappreciated by cloth-eared drunkards.
[/quote]

Punters wont, in my experience, spot specific errors such as individual wrong notes or timing gaffs even when they are bad enough to be glaringly obvious to band members HOWEVER they will know the difference even if only subconsciously between a generally good performance with well produced sound and one with a generally poor performance and/or sound.

So yes its definitely worth the effort to get good and produce a good sound but no its not worth fretting about the odd bum note.

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1501170509' post='3343063']

They are quite well known musicians tho and if you're into Jazz style playing then $30 doesn't seem too much. Should be an interesting gig. Wish i could be there.

Post some pics or Vids if you go.

Dave
[/quote]

I will

Blue

I think some people will notice and some people won't (both small and large mistakes). Some people in the crowd have a good ear and others don't.

That said, the [b]'we are/I am good enough' [/b]mentality is very dangerous to have - and that's not just relative to technical performance.

A musician (hobbyist or professional) should always be looking for ways to improve [i]something[/i].

For eg, I play bass in a band and practice often, but I'm also invested in thinking of better setlists, ways to enhance the stage performance, marketing ideas, shirt designs, how to best approach fans after the show, and finding good people to surround the band with.

I agree with Blue (as I understand him) that despite what people do or don't notice, it'll only help you if your standards are much higher than they 'need' to be.

You'll soon find out if the punted notice or not. They'll stop coming to your gigs. They'll walk out before your second set. You'll stop getting bookings. Even a band that plays for free won't get rebooked if they're not entertaining the audience.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1501245941' post='3343567']
You'll soon find out if the punted notice or not. They'll stop coming to your gigs. They'll walk out before your second set. You'll stop getting bookings. Even a band that plays for free won't get rebooked if they're not entertaining the audience.
[/quote]

Over here, if the bar is for the most part empty, you'll be paid but asked to pack up and leave.

This of course is not always the fault of the band.

Blue

[/quote]

Yep its the best way to find out how good you are.
Hopefully i rehearse enough that i've never actually had any of that happen to me but then again i've not played 1000's of gigs and tend to play gigs that i know the music will be enjoyed.

I don't think there's ever a point where you can't improve on something or other.

Dave

[/quote]

That could also be down to song choice/genre etc. You could have a great Prog Rock band, but if the audience want to dance rather than listen they could walk. Horses for courses. Not always down to poor musicianship.

[quote name='mikel' timestamp='1501267510' post='3343759']

That could also be down to song choice/genre etc. You could have a great Prog Rock band, but if the audience want to dance rather than listen they could walk. Horses for courses. Not always down to poor musicianship.
[/quote]

In that case you still have to up your game. You're not doing what the audience want. You have to change something or continue to play to empty rooms. Could be as simple as being more choosy about your venues but it's all part of musicianship and knowing your audience.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1501270899' post='3343790']
In that case you still have to up your game. You're not doing what the audience want. You have to change something or continue to play to empty rooms. Could be as simple as being more choosy about your venues but it's all part of musicianship and knowing your audience.
[/quote]

No, its just the wrong audience for the wrong band. Could be the promoters fault. Its getting the right band in the right place, nothing to do with being un professional or poorly prepared. If you are a well rehearsed Prog Rock band or a great modern Jazz outfit it would be difficult to wing it for a funky dance crowd. Or vice versa. Just cos the room empties does not always mean the band is not good at what they do.