Why become a member? ×

Punters Don't Know The Difference

blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1500107855' post='3335634']
No more than others bring up they're not in it for the money.

Blue
[/quote]

C'mon....folks just mention it and you get all riled. I've never seen or heard [i]anyone[/i] who has said they play non-professionally get as wound up as you do by people who do the contrary.

What's the beef ?

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1500109180' post='3335646']

That may be support act syndrome though, I have seen some brilliant support acts where the majority of the crowd just don't even bother listening because it isn't who they came to see so the support act just don't get the atmosphere no matter what they do. It's sad when people are so blinkered. Some of my favourite bands are ones I saw as supports acts first.

And if you ever wanted to come over here I am sure that between us all on BC we could get you a good few gigs. I know a few places locally who I am sure would have you play.
[/quote]

Good point,

As you know I'm a huge Stones fan.

Whenever I'm at a Stones show regardless of who's opening, I'm impatient and want them off stage as soon as possible.

That goes for Buddy Guy who opens for them most times when they play Millwaukee.

Blue

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1500132342' post='3335832']

C'mon....folks just mention it and you get all riled. I've never seen or heard [i]anyone[/i] who has said they play non-professionally get as wound up as you do by people who do the contrary.

What's the beef ?
[/quote]

No beef really.

I'm sticking with;

" No more than those who bring up they're not in it for the money."

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1500132081' post='3335829']
I get that, I guess.

Blue
[/quote]

The British SUL Handbook says that it is vulgar to mention income or related matters like owning a textile mill or an iron foundry up t'north or one's position as the resident bass player for a major recording label even [i]if[/i] one has been formally introduced to everyone by the hostess.

There has always been a "thing" that Brits and Yanks see differently. Your culture is proud of its successful entrepreneurs but in ours we tend to build 'em up just to knock them down for their success and wealth later on. Do not confuse any of this with the British gentry system. That's a whole different life! Ho hum.

SUL = Stiff Upper Lip.

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1500133037' post='3335839']

The British SUL Handbook says that it is vulgar to mention income or related matters like owning a textile mill or an iron foundry up t'north or one's position as the resident bass player for a major recording label even [i]if[/i] one has been formally introduced to everyone by the hostess.

There has always been a "thing" that Brits and Yanks see differently. Your culture is proud of its successful entrepreneurs but in ours we tend to build 'em up just to knock them down for their success and wealth later on. Do not confuse any of this with the British gentry system. That's a whole different life! Ho hum.

SUL = Stiff Upper Lip.
[/quote]

Good point, and thanks for the education.

I understand the difference. For example I know tipping is frowned upon by you guys and we applaud it.

Although,last Saturday after our gig a guy came up to me personally and handed me a 20 dollar bill and told me to keep quiet about it.

It felt weird, I gave the 20 to our band leader to add to the nights tips.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1500133628' post='3335844']
Good point, and thanks for the education.

I understand the difference. For example I know tipping is frowned upon by you guys and we applaud it.

Although,last Saturday after our gig a guy came up to me personally and handed me a 20 dollar bill and told me to keep quiet about it.

It felt weird, I gave the 20 to our band leader to add to the nights tips.

Blue
[/quote]

As long as it doesn't make you feel "dirty" heeheehee.

I think tipping actually [i]is[/i] expected more in the UK these days. We tend to now anyway. There was a lot of controversy over tip sharing recently and in some cases the employer taking all of the tips under a tip sharing scheme but not passing it all on! Employers here are expected to pay the minimum wage. That's not a lot for workers with young families. Tips are significant because the minimum wage is all that the employer is obliged to pay if so inclined. For commercial reasons, a lot are so inclined and a tip is expected in more places than ever before.

I have no problem with tipping given that withholding the tip is a useful play when you encounter glaringly bad service. I don't speak for everyone though. Also this is the service industry but for some reason Musicians are treated differently.

Good on you for sharing. It's the best way to retain one's integrity.

Tipping, yeah it's really accepted in the States. I found out from a friend that use to cut hair where I get my hair cut, they get pissed if you don't tip at least $5.00 for a $15.00 haircut.

Igrtit and I'm cool with it, I know the corporate hourly wage there is a joke.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1500147574' post='3335952']
Tipping, yeah it's really accepted in the States. I found out from a friend that use to cut hair where I get my hair cut, they get pissed if you don't tip at least $5.00 for a $15.00 haircut.

Igrtit and I'm cool with it, I know the corporate hourly wage there is a joke.

Blue
[/quote]
Then why not charge $20? And they wonder why some people find the world complicated ;-) the difference I find is that in the states it's expected, over here it is still for good service. It shouldn't be just a way of bosses paying poor wages as seems to be the case in some parts of the states. I don't tip just for turning up but if I get good service I will leave a good tip. My brother lives in North Carolina and we have travelled around a fair bit on visits and there is a massive variance. We left a good tip in a diner in the back end of Arizona and the waitress came out after us to say thanks, in New York they would come out if it wasn't enough!

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1500147744' post='3335954']
This thread went all over the place.

All I really wanted was a "thumbs up" on my new purple Nikes pictured in my thread introduction.

Blue
[/quote]

Good ol' Brit humour there, Blue. Have a 'Like' on me...

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1500148231' post='3335964']

Then why not charge $20? [/quote]

Because then the owner would get the $20.00 and the employee would get nothing except their $2.00 an hour wage.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1500155871' post='3336016']

Because then the owner would get the $20.00 and the employee would get nothing except their $2.00 an hour wage.

Blue
[/quote]
And that's why your system is broken. The average gets done over every day. The inequality here is terrible but nothing compared to America. But that's a whole other thread! I presume it's similar when you play and you rely on the tips?

[quote name='Trueno' timestamp='1500193801' post='3336090']
So... two new possible threads...

1 Tipping
2 Show us your Nikes (Nikes on the sofa?)

I don't mind tipping if it's in the culture. We always tip in cash, none of this adding to the credit card payment nonsense.
[/quote]

[attachment=249188:SidJames.png]

I'm all for a show us your knickers thread... oh wait...

A topic about tipping is a cracking idea, plus one! I've always wondered about the passing 'round of the beer mug to collect tips after a gig too. It was common place at rock nights in pubs 30 years ago. Does it still go on?

Edited by SpondonBassed

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1500192050' post='3336080']

And that's why your system is broken. The average gets done over every day. The inequality here is terrible but nothing compared to America. But that's a whole other thread! I presume it's similar when you play and you rely on the tips?
[/quote]

I think those in hospitality, waiters & waitresses and the hair dressers really rely on tips.

In a band tips are merely just a little extra. You could never rely on tips in a band over here.

Blue

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1500192050' post='3336080']

And that's why your system is broken.
[/quote]

You won't get an argument or debate on that one out of me.

Broken is an understatement.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1500155871' post='3336016']

Blue
[/quote]

Minimum wage here is $9.70 (£7.50) for those over 25.

Guest subaudio

My take on punters not noticing is that you can use that phrase to stop self torture over an honest mistake.

Mistakes happen, we are human, although as a perfectionist that lesson is hard for me to learn, but life is better for it.

What "the punters don't notice" isn't, is an excuse for not playing and preparing as best as you possibly can.

A "dishonest" mistake would be not preparing properly and sounding sloppy, punters might not notice that if your lucky but your peers will and might not hire you for better gigs etc. and, you wont be developing as a musician in the way you should.