Why become a member? ×

Looking for a dirty but consistent synth tone - what do you suggest?

Scoop

Although I've played bass for over 40 years in blues and classic rock bands and I have thousands of gigs under my belt (quite literally) I've never really used many pedals. I'm a complete pedal and effects novice. I have a compressor, a Yamaha NE-1 parametric EQ, and a Boss bass chorus and that's pretty much it. I've simple never needed to process my sound for the sort of stuff I do, so it's never been an issue.

However, it was recently suggested that my four piece band (guitar, bass, drums, vocalist) might cover the NIN version of Gary Numan's Cars. As the guitar player will be playing the big sustaining synth lead lick, I'm going to need something to really grit out the sound for the main riff while he's poncing about with that. I'd prefer a synthy sound, if at all possible, but what else might work? A big muff? An overdrive?

What do I need?

Basically, listen to the youtube clip below and tell me what you'd use to get as close to this as possible. Alternatively. Would it make more sense if I played the big sustainy lead riff using a synth bass pedal and the guitarist carried the main riff? If so, what would I need for that?

When it comes to sound processing I'm an idiot. All suggestions gratefully received.

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qlUFKFHNIU"]https://www.youtube....h?v=6qlUFKFHNIU[/url]

Edited by Scoop

I was at that gig, t'was very good!

Depends how close you want to be or how much you want to spend to get close. If someone sugested that to me (and I have done it live), I would probably just use my DarkGlass clone B3k overdrive with all of the knobs wound round to the right, even though I have a behringer synth pedal.

Difficult one this, not to get the sound, but because how much do you want to spend chasing a sound for 1 song....

For me, No to fuzz.
Overdrive I would agree with, envelope filter (MXR is good and simple), possible octave pedal to fill out the sound if the guitar is going all twiddly and set the compressor high to get real punchy and lose harmonics.

Big question is your cost?!

Or just play it real clean and full.

What amp etc do you use? Can this break up any?

I've a choice of three amp heads, all of which I'm happy to gig. A Peavey probass 500, an early '80s Trace AH350SMX12, and the one I'm currently using most which is a Genz Benz Streamliner 600 - they're going into an EAD Foundation 2x12 (a handbuilt custom cab with a 4.5" upper mid driver and a 1" horn too). It's a very Hi Fi cab, thought I also have a 6x10 combination of Hartke (4x10) and Trace (2x10) and an SWR Triad (1x15, 1x10 and horn) available to use too.

So... If I got myself the MXR Envelope filter and, say a Darkglass B3k and used the built in compression on my Trace head - which has a valve front end that I can push hard - I'm gong to get close, yes?

Food for though. Expensive but I can have hours of fun dicking around with them later, I suppose...

Thanks.

Some helpful links......

http://www.uberproaudio.com/who-plays-what/556-justin-meldal-johnsen-bass-rig-gear-and-equipment

or directly to the man himself

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/justins-gear.419690/page-19

Keep in mind;

Pedals will sound different with different basses, pick ups, and amps.

Pedals will sound different through different sound systems.

Some pedals don't work well with others.

Don't make a decision based on what you see and hear on YouTube demos

Blue

[quote name='Cuzzie' timestamp='1497535496' post='3318943']
That would get you there I reckon

MXR is awesome, the simple b3k pedal without all the EQ stuff on its own gives a great drive sound.

Judicious 2nd hand buying will lighten the load
[/quote]

I've never been disappointed or disatisfied with any MRX pedal.

Blue

[quote name='Scoop' timestamp='1497531821' post='3318914']
I've a choice of three amp heads, all of which I'm happy to gig. A Peavey probass 500, an early '80s Trace AH350SMX12, and the one I'm currently using most which is a Genz Benz Streamliner 600 - they're going into an EAD Foundation 2x12 (a handbuilt custom cab with a 4.5" upper mid driver and a 1" horn too). It's a very Hi Fi cab, thought I also have a 6x10 combination of Hartke (4x10) and Trace (2x10) and an SWR Triad (1x15, 1x10 and horn) available to use too.

So... If I got myself the MXR Envelope filter and, say a Darkglass B3k and used the built in compression on my Trace head - which has a valve front end that I can push hard - I'm gong to get close, yes?

Food for though. Expensive but I can have hours of fun dicking around with them later, I suppose...

Thanks.
[/quote]
I love the hybrid pre section and the built in dual band compression on my SMX head.
I also stick a octaver into said heads high pass fx loop and keep it on at ALL times just to add some serious beef, you should try it!
As far as a filter goes, I'd recommend the Digitech BSW , it has a lot of tricks up a its sleeve for such a cost effective little pedal.

I would use a B3K for this if I had one lying around already and didn't want to buy a new pedal, but if starting from scratch and buying a pedal specifically for this song, I would look elsewhere.

I would use a synthy fuzz like a Diabolik along with a digital octaver that adds up and down, like the TC Sub'n'Up. Then maybe a smidge of chorus/delay/reverb on top. The main riff doesn't sound like it uses a filter sweep, so while the MXR is a great pedal, I wouldn't necessarily use one here.

EDIT: Basing the above on the original, I've not heard the NIN version!

Edited by dannybuoy

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Scoop' timestamp='1497446269' post='3318212']
Although I've played bass for over 40 years in blues and classic rock bands and I have thousands of gigs under my belt (quite literally) I've never really used many pedals. I'm a complete pedal and effects novice. I have a compressor, a Yamaha NE-1 parametric EQ, and a Boss bass chorus and that's pretty much it. I've simple never needed to process my sound for the sort of stuff I do, so it's never been an issue.

However, it was recently suggested that my four piece band (guitar, bass, drums, vocalist) might cover the NIN version of Gary Numan's Cars. As the guitar player will be playing the big sustaining synth lead lick, I'm going to need something to really grit out the sound for the main riff while he's poncing about with that. I'd prefer a synthy sound, if at all possible, but what else might work? A big muff? An overdrive?

What do I need?

Basically, listen to the youtube clip below and tell me what you'd use to get as close to this as possible. Alternatively. Would it make more sense if I played the big sustainy lead riff using a synth bass pedal and the guitarist carried the main riff? If so, what would I need for that?

When it comes to sound processing I'm an idiot. All suggestions gratefully received.

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qlUFKFHNIU"]https://www.youtube....h?v=6qlUFKFHNIU[/url]
[/quote]

Oh, hola David! ;)

Someone suggested a Digitech Bass Synth Wah pedal... and it's a great suggestion.
If you want a single pedal solution, it's great. It will get you very close (and sounds really nice on guitar too, better than the guitar version!). In addition, it gives you a decent octave effect and a passable envelope filter (it has 7 modes if I recall correctly) so you get to experiment a bit with different effects without having to start going crazy buying lots of different things, which is handy especially if you're after sounds you might only use in one song or two.

Alternatively... an overdrive plus a phaser or envelope filter (or a wah if you want to get more adventurous) can give you some really cool thick sounds. One of my bands is a RATM sort-of-tribute band. When we play "Renegades of funk", there's the whole outro where the guitar is soloing and in the record there's all kind of guitars layered in, and vocals... so I end up kicking in my overdrive (EBS Multidrive, but lots others would work... The Ibanez PD7 'Phat Hed' is a favourite of mine which costs peanuts and is pretty versatile... use your treble control -if using an active bass- to go from gritty aggressive overdrive to softer fatter one without fiddling with the pedal) and either an EHX Small Stone phaser to add some slow swirl effect, or my bass wah (G-Labs, touch activated).... That fills in the sound pretty nicely. In fact, at home I sometimes just fire the drum machine and play with overdrive/phaser/wah until I get in a trance :lol:

Jose

• 1 month later...

Trying to really emulate sounds is why I brought a multi amp a few years back

guess your band would be a step above ours but I'd not expect to get much more than the over drive and a few subtle tones from other effects through a heavy guitar song like that

I still listen to early Gary Numan most weeks , analogue bass just works so well in his electronic music