Why become a member? ×

Different size speakers in one cab?

William James Easton

Any Basschatter play through a cab with differnt size speakers in the one enclosure? Lets say a 1x15 + 1x10 + 1x6.5? or a 2x12 + 1x8?
What are the pros and cons on this kind of enclosure? (does it have a name.....MULTI CAB!!??)
Purchased or created buy there own loving hands?
Lets see what you got.

Edited by Rusty Shackleford

I think these types of cabs are becoming more common - Shcroeder 21012 or 210212 for example, and some of the new Dr.Bass cabs have 3 way systems (the 2460 for example). 3 way systems for tops, mid, and bass reproduce the original sound most faithfully compared to single driver size cabs (I think that's the theory behind it anyway), but really it's all just down to what suits you or what sounds best for your situation.

[quote name='bigjohn' post='317361' date='Oct 29 2008, 10:25 AM']Hmmm...

I've got two 2x10s that both have 5" midrange drivers in em. (that used to belong to Alex ^!)

And I've got a large Ampeg Combo that has a 15" and an 8" biamped.[/quote]

got photos?

im very tempted to get a cab like this for my next purchse. would just hope i can find something light in wieght and light on the wallet!

[quote name='Rusty Shackleford' post='317391' date='Oct 29 2008, 11:01 AM']got photos?

im very tempted to get a cab like this for my next purchse. would just hope i can find something light in wieght and light on the wallet![/quote]

[url="http://www.acmebass.com/"]acme low b2s[/url]

They are excellent.

Ampeg made a rather good 4-way cab (true 4-way, not simply four different speakers in a box, all running fullrange) called the Extreme. 2x6.5"2x10"1x18"+tweeter. Most of the enclosure was given over to the 18" which was quasi-downfiring/horn-loaded to acoustically low-pass filter it. The 10"s were in a very small sealed-enclosure to high-pass filter them and then the 6.5"s and tweeter passively crossed over. Good design, only downside was the weight! You could run it fullrange or biamp the 18" and the other speakers separately.

Most multi-speaker cabs don't use any kind of filtering so the sound is just the same as if you stacked two dissimilar cabs.

Alex