Why become a member? ×

How much are Pubs/clubs paying in Sussex?

julesb

[quote name='julesb' timestamp='1494444013' post='3296084']
Was this intentionally patronising? I'm just trying to get a bit of an overview from people on the sussex circuit.
[/quote] FWIW I read that as simply being realistic, even if it was, to some degree, stating the obvious; if you build up a good rep, then you might be able to command more. (even true in Sussex, so I believe) :P

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1494451010' post='3296181']
FWIW I read that as simply being realistic, even if it was, to some degree, stating the obvious; if you build up a good rep, then you might be able to command more. (even true in Sussex, so I believe) :P
[/quote]
I certainly didn't read your post as being patronising, just as you say realistic & stating the obvious
[quote name='blue' timestamp='1494449628' post='3296159']
Not in Milwaukee.

Actually your right, no matter what, a local band is never going to get more than $500.00 out of a bar..

Blue
[/quote]
It's just basic economics. The market will find a price where bars can make enough money to justify putting live music on whilst still making it worthwhile for bands to play. The average punter just wants to be entertained and hear some decent music - they don't care how much the band is paid or if they have three people onstage or six...

[quote name='julesb' timestamp='1494428614' post='3295906']
One of the bands I'm in will be ready to roll soon but as a six piece the fee needs to be half decent. The music is classic rock but with much less focus on the classic crap.

[color=#ff8c00][size=5][b]Anyone got experience of the Sussex circuit and maybe a list of venues with expected fees?[/b][/size][/color]

Thanks in advance!
[/quote]good to see you concentrating on the modern crap

Far superior to the classic crap

[quote name='gareth' timestamp='1494453832' post='3296216']
good to see you concentrating on the modern crap

Far superior to the classic crap
[/quote]

Excuse me, Sir. You are not from Sussex. What does a person from Essex know of the "Crap music" scene in Sussex?

We're not welcome in this thread.

Hey, maybe we should start a whole new section for "Sussex only"? :P

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1494453659' post='3296215']
7 piece band, no singers all original material

In Sussex we get between 300 and 420 a gig in pubs

In London we don't go for less than 450
[/quote]
Great to hear, tell me Where?

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1494454341' post='3296219']

Excuse me, Sir. You are not from Sussex. What does a person from Essex know of the "Crap music" scene in Sussex?

We're not welcome in this thread.

Hey, maybe we should start a whole new section for "Sussex only"? :P
[/quote]ha ha

And there was i as an oldy thinking everyone has to be pc!

"Crap classic rock"

What a fecking prit

[quote name='gareth' timestamp='1494455238' post='3296228']
ha ha

And there was i as an oldy thinking everyone has to be pc!

"Crap classic rock"

What a fecking prit
[/quote]

Sex on fire etc. Well documented in several threads here. I'm sure you wouldn't call me a f***ing prick if you were stood next to me. That's the internet for you eh?

Edited by julesb

For what it's worth, £200-250 is the norm for pubs in Derbyshire too. Although some pay significantly less and still have regular acts.
As a 5-piece the economics aren't great, but without doing them we wouldn't have got our festival and private party bookings.
So, for us it's about looking at the bigger picture.

[quote name='Len_derby' timestamp='1494480998' post='3296281']
For what it's worth, £200-250 is the norm for pubs in Derbyshire too. Although some pay significantly less and still have regular acts.
As a 5-piece the economics aren't great, but without doing them we wouldn't have got our festival and private party bookings.
[/quote]
Thanks for your positive reply. I appreciate it.

Edited by julesb

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1494483667' post='3296305']
Even at £40 a head it would probably pay your petrol and avoid paying for rehearsal room fees, and it gets your name out there.

Good luck with the band
[/quote]
Thank you

[quote name='Len_derby' timestamp='1494480998' post='3296281']
[/quote]

This is very much the case up in Wigan and the surrounding areas.

It's not a lot of money but it feeds my kebab habit.

[quote name='julesb' timestamp='1494455692' post='3296233'] Sex on fire etc. Well documented in several threads here. I'm sure you wouldn't call be a f***ing prick if you were stood next to me. That's the internet for you eh? [/quote]

Some of your responses are suggesting people well might.

I can only see some gentle leg pulling going on.

Edited by Steve Browning

The realities of pub gigs are pretty harsh and the money hasn't really changed in all the years I've ever done it.

The main problem is establishing yourself so that the band can earn the bigger fees. Similarly, the number of band members will not affect the fee either.

I used to gig in your patch a lot, with a band that was very popular on that circuit. Pretty much every single venue we played has now gone so I have nothing to offer beyond good wishes. You are pretty much left to do the slog of playing places and building up a following as we have all done in the past. A new band (no matter who is in it - and I mean your past glories on the scene) is a new band and has to start again.

Once you have got your foot on the ladder then you can improve things on the money front but there isn't a short cut to that unhappily. You are not going to get any more than £250 and I would be surprised if you got even that to begin with. I would have put the initial figure somewhere between £150 and £200.

One slightly off-piste suggestion would be to try and get yourselves over to Europe. Much better experience, you get paid, fed and watered and people want to be entertained. They don't stand with their arms folded and dare you to impress them.

Edited by Steve Browning

I'm guessing Newhaven. Not sure how the relative cost of ferries from there compare with Dover:Calais. The advantage of that crossing is the tunnel where you are 30 minutes from France and so much less time spending a fortune in the ferry's overpriced bar as peoples ghastly kids run round you screaming all the time! The crossings from Pompey are about 4.5 hours I believe.

I do a fair few gigs depping for a band that is in Europe a lot but they are blues based and play places that cater for that type of music. Maybe Google rock music bars not too far from wherever you land. There is a fair amount of kudos in being a UK band over there and so you could find it works out for you. The UK is s0dding miserable by comparison.

Yeah, Newhaven's 4 hours to Dieppe. I suppose if it's a two gig trip it would ok but yes 4 hours on a ferry can't compete with the tunnel which is about a two hour drive from me, even though it's only 70 miles! Food for thought though. Thanks again.

[quote name='Steve Browning' timestamp='1494492299' post='3296398']
The realities of pub gigs are pretty harsh and the money hasn't really changed in all the years I've ever done it.

The main problem is establishing yourself so that the band can earn the bigger fees. Similarly, the number of band members will not affect the fee either.

I used to gig in your patch a lot, with a band that was very popular on that circuit. Pretty much every single venue we played has now gone so I have nothing to offer beyond good wishes. You are pretty much left to do the slog of playing places and building up a following as we have all done in the past. A new band (no matter who is in it - and I mean your past glories on the scene) is a new band and has to start again.

Once you have got your foot on the ladder then you can improve things on the money front but there isn't a short cut to that unhappily. You are not going to get any more than £250 and I would be surprised if you got even that to begin with. I would have put the initial figure somewhere between £150 and £200.

One slightly off-piste suggestion would be to try and get yourselves over to Europe. Much better experience, you get paid, fed and watered and people want to be entertained. They don't stand with their arms folded and dare you to impress them.
[/quote]

+1 to all of this Steve.

My last covers band had a pretty good reputation across Sussex, but we never got more than £300 for a pub gig in the 8 years I played with them.

The pub gigs often led to wedding and birthday party bookings though, where we could charge a much more lucrative fee.

My view these days is that I'm just happy to play live and make music, so as long as I'm not out of pocket, I'm happy.

I think Steve's absolutely right about gigging abroad; my experience there has always been positive - better venues, better facilities for the band, better money and much more appreciative audiences.

To the OP - good luck with you new band!

[quote name='silverfoxnik' timestamp='1494494151' post='3296415']
+1 to all of this Steve.

My last covers band had a pretty good reputation across Sussex, but we never got more than £300 for a pub gig in the 8 years I played with them.

The pub gigs often led to wedding and birthday party bookings though, where we could charge a much more lucrative fee.

My view these days is that I'm just happy to play live and make music, so as long as I'm not out of pocket, I'm happy.

I think Steve's absolutely right about gigging abroad; my experience there has always been positive - better venues, better facilities for the band, better money and much more appreciative audiences.

To the OP - good luck with you new band!
[/quote]

Thank you very much!

Just a +1 for £250 for pubs. Sky's the limit for other bookings though and you play pubs to get other bookings.

Take business cards, have a good online presence and talk to punters after shows.