Why become a member? ×

equalising two cabs with one amp

Hi All, like to introduce you all to my pondering, would appreciate others opinions.

I run a Trace Elliot SMX 1215 300w and [size=4][font=Arial]an extension cab bastardized from [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]a Trac[/font]e [size=4][font=Arial]1224 SMX combo. containing 2x10" and a horn. I have an idea to use two equalizer pedals to customize the each cabs sound from the main SMX amp, one for the 15" rolling off frequencies above 400hz and the second on the 2x10 rolling off frequencies below 300hz. any thoughts? or should I go boil my head[/font][/size][/font][/size]

[quote name='Frank Grimace' timestamp='1494104172' post='3293362']
Hi All, like to introduce you all to my pondering, would appreciate others opinions.

I run a Trace Elliot SMX 1215 300w and [size=4][font=Arial]an extension cab bastardized from [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]a Trac[/font]e [size=4][font=Arial]1224 SMX combo. containing 2x10" and a horn. I have an idea to use two equalizer pedals to customize the each cabs sound from the main SMX amp, one for the 15" rolling off frequencies above 400hz and the second on the 2x10 rolling off frequencies below 300hz. any thoughts? or should I go boil my head[/font][/size][/font][/size]
[/quote]

Um, not to put too fine a point on it but looking at your listed interests, I won't be dipping a toe in your pond no matter how you nicely you introduce it.

Welcome to Basschat anyway.

I am running a TE1818 cab as an aux to my 300w Ashdown combo with its 15. I thought there might be eq problems but so far I am really liking it. I do tend to leave it fairly flat across the five bands of the combi though. I can't vouch for gig levels yet but I am optimistic going from results practising at home at low levels.

If you use a lot of effects this might be inflexible however.

Edited by SpondonBassed

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1494106035' post='3293379']
[b]Um, not to put too fine a point on it but looking at your listed interests, I won't be dipping a toe in your pond no matter how you nicely you introduce it.[/b]

Welcome to Basschat anyway.

I am running a TE1818 cab as an aux to my 300w Ashdown combo with its 15. I thought there might be eq problems but so far I am really liking it. I do tend to leave it fairly flat across the five bands of the combi though. I can't vouch for gig levels yet but I am optimistic going from results practising at home at low levels.

If you use a lot of effects this might be inflexible however.
[/quote]

Why? what's wrong with Golf? :ph34r:

correct me if Im wrong but are you thinking of putting the eq pedals between the amps speaker outs and the cabs inputs?
Maybe Im misreading your post , but if so you will burn out the eq pedals.

yes this exactly what i was thinking of doing, but i had wondered if as you say it would burn something out

Golf isn't very popular on here then?

Could try this one.

http://www.terralec.co.uk/speaker_parts/three_way_crossover_500hz__4500hz_12db/16164_p.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_term=paid&utm_campaign=ProductAds&gclid=Cj0KEQjw6LXIBRCUqIjXmdKBxZUBEiQA_f50PgqIdnBW2sVxjqfr014oyavcH31B2v0p5U0tYqzPHlAaAnmK8P8HAQ

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1494138779' post='3293478']
Could try this one.

[url="http://www.terralec.co.uk/speaker_parts/three_way_crossover_500hz__4500hz_12db/16164_p.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_term=paid&utm_campaign=ProductAds&gclid=Cj0KEQjw6LXIBRCUqIjXmdKBxZUBEiQA_f50PgqIdnBW2sVxjqfr014oyavcH31B2v0p5U0tYqzPHlAaAnmK8P8HAQ"]http://www.terralec....PHlAaAnmK8P8HAQ[/url]
[/quote]

Interesting but might be under rated for the OP.

"Suitable for Cabinet Powers up to 250 Watts & 8 ohm Systems"

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1494140561' post='3293495']

Interesting but might be under rated for the OP.

"Suitable for Cabinet Powers up to 250 Watts & 8 ohm Systems"
[/quote]

Maybe. It's only £35, worst case it explodes and kills everyone in a 50mile radius. But I suspect that's continuous rating for music, the bass cab won't be anywhere near that. It'll give him a quick idea of whether or not it gives him the desired effect. (I'm sceptical)

Edited by TimR

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1494143285' post='3293517']
Maybe. It's only £35, worst case it explodes and kills everyone in a 50mile radius. But I suspect that's continuous rating for music, the bass cab won't be anywhere near that. It'll give him a quick idea of whether or not it gives him the desired effect. (I'm sceptical)

[/quote]

Fair enough.

I suppose my thought was around wave frequency responses of the size of the speakers and split the signal to accommodate that, in an attempt to clarify the sound by letting each cab handle its own frequency range, not that there's anything wrong with my sound. I just thought low frequencies would be better handled by the 15" and so on...I'm no expert but it was one of those thoughts you get from time to time, it may have been fueled by alcohol !

my apologies to the moderators for my sense of humour Re: interests

Edited by Frank Grimace

[quote name='Frank Grimace' timestamp='1494151847' post='3293623']
I suppose my thought was around wave frequency responses of the size of the speakers and split the signal to accommodate that, in an attempt to clarify the sound by letting each cab handle its own frequency range, not that there's anything wrong with my sound. I just thought low frequencies would be better handled by the 15" and so on...I'm no expert but it was one of those thoughts you get from time to time, it may have been fueled by alcohol !
[/quote]

I'm betting that your domestic system has three way living room speakers.

I get thoughts like that sometimes and I can't really blame alcohol. On my rig however, I don't even have two way cabs. I've been told that newer Laney RB3s have tweeters now, mine doesn't. I have no need for extended high frequencies. I don't plan on occupying that end of the sound spectrum except for the odd pop and slap for bit of light garnish here and there.

Food for thought however; I was at the October Double Bass Bash last October and one member had a remarkably small speaker cab that would put Barefaced cabs to shame. It may have been a lot heavier however as it used multiple small drivers, say four or five inch cones. I think there were about six or eight in an array. I looked for the hidden sub but there was none!

The chap had got a badger's head stencilled in white on the black grill. One of the other members may be able to identify it from that.

Me. I am a proper Luddite. I like low frequencies to come from whopping great cones in boxes with grill cloth that smells of tobacco. That's all a thing of the past now.

" I'm betting that your domestic system has three way living room speakers."

Ah yes, i do, nice low n loud sub on it ( i can make the neighbors tits wobble without touching them), my preference would differ slightly though.

i suppose hearing my home set up is part of the wanting to to know if...

Edited by Frank Grimace

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1494157451' post='3293673']

Food for thought however; I was at the October Double Bass Bash last October and one member had a remarkably small speaker cab that would put Barefaced cabs to shame. It may have been a lot heavier however as it used multiple small drivers, say four or five inch cones. I think there were about six or eight in an array. I looked for the hidden sub but there was none!

[/quote]

That sounds like a Phil Jones cab.

[quote name='Frank Grimace' timestamp='1494151847' post='3293623']

my apologies to the moderators for my sense of humour Re: interests
[/quote]

No. The cabs will have similar frequency responses. They're not hi-fi cabs, they're bass cabs.

At moment i'm running a GK MB200 into an Orange OBC 115 cab and taking the line out signal feeding to the effect IN of a Trace GP150 head that has a pre-amp problem but power section works fine. The TE head feeds an Orange OBC210 Mini. I set up the volume for the 115 cab and then bring in the TE master volume as required to give me a slight hi-mid edge that the 115 doesn't seem to have.
The 115 has a nice warm depth but lacks a little hi end mid so this set up works very well

My Ampeg SVT4 Pro is currently in for repair but will be using that with its inbuilt X-over and stereo outputs to feed each cab.

Many say that theoretically this set up should not work because of the air movement or air volume from each cab being different. I've tried many cab set ups over the years and a combination like this works very well for me.
I also have a Bergantion cab with 1x12, 2x10's and horn with in built x-over and that also has a nice balance but as a single cab very heavy.

You will need to either use a X-over and twin amps or a pre-amp into seperate power amps or as i have done taking a line out signal and feeding another amp.

Dave

Why not just buy another amp for the cab? Then split the output from your bass (with a splitter pedal) into the separate amps . You can then EQ them any way you like.

Makes things much simpler.

Edited by gjones

[quote name='Frank Grimace' timestamp='1494112162' post='3293411']
correct me if Im wrong but are you thinking of putting the eq pedals between the amps speaker outs and the cabs inputs?
Maybe Im misreading your post , but if so you will burn out the eq pedals.

yes this exactly what i was thinking of doing, but i had wondered if as you say it would burn something out

Golf isn't very popular on here then?[/quote]

You will indeed burn out pedals if you feed a speaker level feed to them. They are intended to run on instrument level inut (millivolts)

Edited by Rich

Made a mess of entering my previous post (my comment ended up in the quoted bit). Pedals won't handle speaker level signals. They are intended for instrument level signals, which are usually measured in millivolts. The best way to balance two unequal speaker cabs is with an add-on power amp, plus active crossover or graphic/parametric eq with which you can control/adjust the feed to the power amp. Can get a bit pricey and involve several extra boxes.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1494173482' post='3293776']
Why not just buy another amp for the cab? Then split the output from your bass (with a splitter pedal) into the separate amps . You can then EQ them any way you like.

Makes things much simpler.
[/quote]

Yep that's a lot easier.
Was doing that with my Roland GT-6B into both amps until TE pre-amp started playing up.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7