Why become a member? ×

Critique A Bass Player Wanted Ad

blue

Just slightly Dave :) Yes info sharing is fab, thats not what i'm on about

I'm talking about pre-judging others on what is just text on a screen. I've met people off forums that i had previously met ON a forum and they turned out to be nothing like i had pre judged. We all make assumptions

But back to the band ads, its worth following up and making a judgement on these bands after you've met face to face and chatted.

Or maybe it's not :)

Thats all i'm saying

Edited by fleabag

OK, to be (slightly more) serious, though, the ads are on line, and the original post was about the impact they had on their intended readership, so in this case, it is necessary to judge the people behind the ad from their words on line. If they are not effective at communicating what they are looking for, then they are unlikely to find it.

Or summat!

Well, thats my point. If you only judge what you read, you might miss out on a face to face...there could be an excellent band in there

Yes, i see that most have to make a call on on ad, especially if its some distance away to meet the band, but is it possible that these bands could be excellent / great musicians but a tad lacking in the ad posting dept. ? How would you know if you only judged them on the ad ?

[quote name='fleabag' timestamp='1491919935' post='3276482']
Well, thats my point. If you only judge what you read, you might miss out on a face to face...there could be an excellent band in there

Yes, i see that most have to make a call on on ad, especially if its some distance away to meet the band, but is it possible that these bands could be excellent / great musicians but a tad lacking in the ad posting dept. ? How would you know if you only judged them on the ad ?
[/quote]

Agreed, for anyone interested you would call and ask a few questions then decide if you want go any further and audition.

The videos of the band that gave their name (band No.3) showed me I'm not a match for them. It wouldn't be worth a call or an audition. They would never hire me.

Blue

If was after playing in any of those bands I'd certainly get in contact to have a chat.

There's limited mileage in trying to 'decode' an advert IMHO. It's an rough description and invitation to get in contact, that's all - I've replied to ads that looked ideal and didn't work out, and also replied to some so-so ads and played with some great people.

Maps and territories.....not the same.

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='fleabag' timestamp='1491922158' post='3276501']
Posting a vid or tracks online would go a long way to helping prospective applicants to make a decision. This would be much better than just an ad
[/quote]
+1 to this. I wish more would post vids of their band when posting an ad online. Then at least you get an idea of the image, type of music, age range and standard of playing. As Blue and others have said about themselves, it wouldn't be worth me even applying for an audition for some bands because I just wouldn't look the part and could be too old.

A video is definately the way to go, though a lack of one wouldn't turn me away. Just like an imperfect ad wouldn't.

Of course, there's always those that do. When i see ads starting " hey, wot u doin - wear a kickass gr8 band .. " etc etc

If it looks like it's from a hoody infested council estate, i'm out.

No offence to hoody infested council estates, before the letters roll in

Tonne all these ads are interesting, please no offence to gigging musicians, but I am glad I am not one for my living.

I with another couple of guys who are mates play together each week and are trying to write our own stuff.
I love the process and the prospect of getting our own tunes and hopefully gigging them, but we all have jobs and families and fit it around that.

Unless stated otherwise in the ad, it's a good idea to ask if thevband is filling any other openings.

I once looked over a bands website and was impressed with their line up which featured a talented female front person only to find out she had left the band several years ago.

Blue

Edited by blue

Here's one that i would give a miss.

[i][b]Funk/ jazz bass player yo[/b]

Joabmelon
Tuesday 4 Apr 2017, 5:58pm
So hi there. Imma bass player lookin fo sum future soul/funk/jazz like ting. I've bean plaiing base 4 ruffly 3 yerrs an I've been in 2 bands in dat time. I'm currently still in a band-like thing wit my sister who plays keyboard and produces her own choonez (her name's Theo laird look er up on soundcloud shes really Gud!!).

Hailing from the city area, I wouldn't be overly interested in travelling outside due to the fact that I am 16 and consequently cannot drive. I have a four string fretted bass although I'm looking to invest In a 5 string. I take influence from bassists such as jaco pastorius and Stanley clark. I do also enjoy electronic music/ bands like that of Klaus Johann Grobe and also progressive rock such as man and birdmen.

Although I primarily like that typical cheesy 80s funk, I can and Will play jazz if needed and can fit into most styles (I am a music snob however so I won't be playing indie or heavy rock tank ya veri mooch!!)

Oh yes and (for those who stuck around) I can also play the saxophone to a considerably high level and will happily disrobe the ol pipe if need be. ��

So thas aboot it!! I luuk 4ward to a repliii!!
From your brother, sister, uncle, mother, father and creepy 4th cousin...
JOEY[/i]

Edited by fleabag

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1491922202' post='3276503']
If was after playing in any of those bands I'd certainly get in contact to have a chat.

There's limited mileage in trying to 'decode' an advert IMHO. It's an rough description and invitation to get in contact, that's all - I've replied to ads that looked ideal and didn't work out, and also replied to some so-so ads and played with some great people.

Maps and territories.....not the same.
[/quote]

I don't attach much to the content of an ad. I play originals though, so it's a different market and claims about gig rates and regularity of work don't mean the same thing. If you are famous, I'd have heard of you. My current band's ad just said 'bass player wanted for folk-rock band' and gave a youtube link to a couple of live songs and a soundcloud page. I then looked on facebook and saw for myself that they had a whole pile of gigs booked for several months in advance. That told me everything I needed to know (do I like it, can I play it, can I bring something to it, am I better than the departing bass player, what kind of gear do they have, is anyone really out of it, how old are they, is there an audience etc.). The only real decision to make was whether we could get on. They seemed to take the same attitude with me.

[quote name='radiophonic' timestamp='1491979100' post='3276832']

I don't attach much to the content of an ad. I play originals though, so it's a different market and claims about gig rates and regularity of work don't mean the same thing. If you are famous, I'd have heard of you. My current band's ad just said 'bass player wanted for folk-rock band' and gave a youtube link to a couple of live songs and a soundcloud page. I then looked on facebook and saw for myself that they had a whole pile of gigs booked for several months in advance. That told me everything I needed to know (do I like it, can I play it, can I bring something to it, am I better than the departing bass player, what kind of gear do they have, is anyone really out of it, how old are they, is there an audience etc.). The only real decision to make was whether we could get on. They seemed to take the same attitude with me.
[/quote]

I'm not sure what a "whole pile" of gigs actually means.

In the States local bands with a heavy schedule of paid gigs, at least 70 gigs annually do not advertise publicly.

Blue

I'm probably the odd one out on this thread as 2-4 gigs a month is about as much as i would ever want to play.
Playing is a hobby for me and never really bothered too much about the money side of it.
If i liked the band and the music then i'd probably be happy.

I do believe in regular rehearsals to make sure songs are spot on altho gigging does improve the band a fair bit from that point.

The other thing for me is i enjoy rehearsals and see it as a group of guys getting together for a laugh and playing some great music.
No we don't take playing as serious as many bands but that's why we enjoy doing what we do.

For me i would probably contact any band from their advert and find out more details.
I have joined bands even after the audition only to find the changes in character temprements was too much and i had to move on.
My point being that you just can't tell enough from an advert.

If you want to play in a band you need to look at all adverts and take it further as there's not a lot of bands in my area looking for bass players these days.

Dave

One thing to remember is that you can change things from the inside once you're in.

So if the ad is close enough to what you would like it's worth a call. If it's something crucial to you that you don't like you may find it difficult.
For me "we rehearse every week and gig once or twice a month" would probably stop me persuing it.

Les

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1492013002' post='3277206']
I'm probably the odd one out on this thread as 2-4 gigs a month is about as much as i would ever want to play.

No we don't take playing as serious as many bands but that's why we enjoy doing what we do.[/quote]

Hi Dave,

64, 3-4 gigs a week is my sweet spot.

Interesting comment regarding playing. My band, we take playing seriously and that's why we enjoy what we do.

Blue

[quote name='Les' timestamp='1492020912' post='3277298']
One thing to remember is that you can change things from the inside once you're in.

So if the ad is close enough to what you would like it's worth a call. If it's something crucial to you that you don't like you may find it difficult.
For me "we rehearse every week and gig once or twice a month" would probably stop me persuing it.

Les
[/quote]

I'm with you Les,

1-2 gigs a month is nowhere near what I require from a band.

1-2 gigs a month could mean many gigless months.

If it was with the right people,not the right music and they said, "come out with us we're doing 170 shows this year". I'd say "Where's the bus, I'm ready"

Blue

Edited by blue

I've got 6 gigs this month, which is quite a lot for us. It's hard to get that many usually without playing he same places more than once or travelling a long way. I would like to get a gig every week, but even that is not too easy to find round here.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1492067698' post='3277551']
I've got 6 gigs this month, which is quite a lot for us. It's hard to get that many usually without playing he same places more than once or travelling a long way. I would like to get a gig every week, but even that is not too easy to find round here.
[/quote]

FinnDave,

It's a busy month for us too, 7 gigs. I think only one is new business we hope to win.

Blue

Do you get gigs on weekdays as well as weekends? Most of our bookings are Saturday nights, and's there's only so many Saturdays in a year! This weekend we are playing Saturday and Sunday, and at the end of the month we have a late afternoon gig followed by a night (starts at eleven) slot at a biker rally. That's going to be a long day! Both gigs are 2 x 1 hour slots, but there's a whole lot of packing up, driving to the next venue, unpacking and setting up again between as well.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1492070151' post='3277573']
Do you get gigs on weekdays as well as weekends? Most of our bookings are Saturday nights, and's there's only so many Saturdays in a year! This weekend we are playing Saturday and Sunday, and at the end of the month we have a late afternoon gig followed by a night (starts at eleven) slot at a biker rally. That's going to be a long day! Both gigs are 2 x 1 hour slots, but there's a whole lot of packing up, driving to the next venue, unpacking and setting up again between as well.
[/quote]

No week night gigs. We have a 3 ,and two 2 gig weekends. One is a 3:00-7:00 Sunday gig.

All bar gigs in the States are 4 hours with 2 ten minute breaks.

Blue

I've recently joined a start-up band of experienced people just to play a Sunday afternoon once month (got a 12 month booking), although that's already looking like it will be two afternoons. Those are nice, relatively easy gigs if you can get them. Four hours over here would be two gigs!

Just remembered, we've been asked to to share a Thursday night residency as well, which helps break up the week.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1492010773' post='3277180']
I'm not sure what a "whole pile" of gigs actually means.

In the States local bands with a heavy schedule of paid gigs, at least 70 gigs annually do not advertise publicly.

Blue
[/quote]

20 booked between mid-Nov and early-Jan. We ended up cancelling a few, but that's the ballpark. Two a week basically. We could be doing that now, but we're working up new material which is time consuming when you're writing arrangements from scratch. There's only so much free time when everyone has a job and a family.

Hobby for me as well, so 2-3 gigs a month is fine. Although I do have the luxury of running a couple of jams each month so if we do have a quiet gigging month then I have the jams to fall back on for a public outing. A busy Easter weekend though, Jam Friday, old band gig on Saturday (fulfilling a few dates before departure) and new band gig on Sunday. I bow to you though Blue, I think a 4 hour gig would finish me off and I have 20 years on you.