Why become a member? ×

Basses and humidity?

AndyBob09

I currently need a bit of help/advice.

I just took a new contract on a cruise ship where we play outdoors as well as indoors. I'm worried about my bass and the extreme changes in humidity. My bass lives indoors in a mono gig bag in an overly air conditioned cold, dry environment. A few times a week, I need to take it outside to 36+ degrees and extreme humidity. By the time I open my bag, it's got a very apparent layer of moisture all over and is very out of tune (it usually holds its tuning very well).

Does anyone have any knowledge of how to care for instruments in such environments? And could forecast what will happen to it after seven months of this torrent of abuse?! Also, I can't imagine the salty sea air and spray will do anything for any metal/electronics on the instrument?

Any help would be appreciated!

I had my bass in Qatar, my room was air conditioned and the bar where we played (although air conditioned) was hot and humid. The answer is to allow the bass to warm up gradually, although this ain't easy.

Buy my Zon. Then you'll be alright! Seriously though, have you contacted the people you will be playing with and got any advice from them? They must be in the same boat (sorry, I couldn't resist)

Edited by julesb

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1491480388' post='3273366']
Areyou using the Stingray? I imagine an unfinished neck will suffer more than one with a ton of varnish/lacquer/whatever.
[/quote]

Yeah. It's the stingray. And I guess a Squier could solve a couple of problems. The only thing is, I'm already on the ship, already taking it in and outdoors. Storage is very tight onboard. There's not many places to store a bass nevermind a second one. But I guess if I wanna protect my Stingray, it might not be a bad idea to buy a cheapo just to play outdoors.

You might want to try the Warwick bass forum. I know you don't have a Warwick....
The question used to come up occasionally as the forum base was spread all over the world, Australia, South America, etc etc. There may be members on there with more direct experience of this.
Good luck.

get some silica gel bags to have in the gig bag or just leave it out of the gig bag (or with it opened) so it doesn't get that humidity layer on it. Also, it would be a good idea to get it out of the room early and have it in an intermediate room for a bit so it can warm up more gradually, the same before storing it in the cold room.

Regarding salty humidity, wipe it of with a clean and dry towel every day before storing it in your room. If i was in your position i would try to find some time to give it a overall clean in both wood and harware every week or at least every two weeks.

It's a lot of hard work to keep the bass in great nick and some setup skills are needed for this but it's your work tool and you need it to operate at its best for the duration of your contract, it needs maintenance like any other part of the boat.