Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

22 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Should anyone care, and I'm very dubious that anyone does, as far as I can tell from checking more photos, the pickups on the 434 are in the same spots as on the 424 / 2024, so the split is again slightly neckward compared with a P.

434 centre of 12th fret to centre of P pickup 291mm, compared to 295.5mm for my Fender P bass and the J pickup is roughly in the 70s J position at 374mm

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

I'm never going to come to terms with the fact that Yamaha dropped orange for the 424. 

The absence of a Precision-y noise from the neck pickup doesn't bother me, as I bought it for the sound of both pickups together. Perhaps that slight extra bassyness from placing the split a tiny bit closer to the neck was felt to give a better balance when the two are mixed together? At any rate, it does it for me.

Exactly! I love my BB's for the sound of the P/J combination. In my oponion Yamaha has "created" a very unique sound with the BB's. If you want a sound that is 100% like a Fender Precision...buy one. 

Edited by gobasserk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, gobasserk said:

By the way, I am thinking about a vintage yellow / white for the green 1000ma....

I’m glad you waited till Andy had spent his load on four BB before telling him it’s the green you are repainting

• Like 1
  • Haha 1