Jump to content

The Yamaha BB mega-thread


Al Krow

Recommended Posts

I'm perfectly content with my 424, but the knowledge that for just £5 more I could have had a 1024 is making me daydream a bit.

I know that they make pretty similar sounds, but what would be the biggest tonal difference between the two?

From the YouTube demos I've heard, the biggest difference is in the quality of the neck pickups soloed. I get the impression that the 1024's is the same style as the 424's but with a bit more liveliness and complexity. (On my 424 I find that I need both pickups together to make a satisfyingly complete sound.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

I'm perfectly content with my 424, but the knowledge that for just £5 more I could have had a 1024 is making me daydream a bit.

I know that they make pretty similar sounds, but what would be the biggest tonal difference between the two?

From the YouTube demos I've heard, the biggest difference is in the quality of the neck pickups soloed. I get the impression that the 1024's is the same style as the 424's but with a bit more liveliness and complexity. (On my 424 I find that I need both pickups together to make a satisfyingly complete sound.)

I think £5 difference is a lucky confluence of the stars and may not happen again until Halley's comet next appears.

Taking the 5 string versions for comparison as they're the ones I've had: the 425 gives a tonally "flatter" thud, with SERIOUS punch; the 1025 is more complex harmonically /more refined. I'd say 80% of that is down to the different pups used. For me, there's pretty little difference between the 1025 and the current flagship P35 model - and that's pretty high praise.

So what you were hearing on the YT clips seems to be pretty much what I'm reporting with regard to tonal complexity - a bit like a fine red wine!

Edited by Al Krow
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There’s a nice bb300 in black on Facebook currently.

Bit rich at £300 but to be fair it’s in good nick and worth every penny. 
 

Early Taiwanese I think due to shape - seller says 81 (I’d guessed 84/5)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/184621401586617/permalink/3885984948116892/

8F266DAD-AE62-4965-AC79-F953F1C36B3B.png

Edited by AndyTravis
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

the 425 gives a tonally "flatter" thud, with SERIOUS punch; the 1025 is more complex harmonically /more refined

I like the punch, I'll stay happy with my 424.

Still want it in white though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AndyTravis said:

There’s a nice bb300 in black on Facebook currently.

Bit rich at £300 but to be fair it’s in good nick and worth every penny. 
 

Early Taiwanese I think due to shape - seller says 81 (I’d guessed 84/5)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/184621401586617/permalink/3885984948116892/

8F266DAD-AE62-4965-AC79-F953F1C36B3B.png

It is nice but i think 300 is way too high particularly considering the used prices of 414, 424 and 1024s. But if someone has to have it then that's fair enough. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, EJWW said:

It is nice but i think 300 is way too high particularly considering the used prices of 414, 424 and 1024s. But if someone has to have it then that's fair enough. 

They’re a different breed the older BB’s, £250 would be my limit really for a bb300

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

There’s a nice bb300 in black on Facebook currently.

Bit rich at £300 but to be fair it’s in good nick and worth every penny. 
 

Early Taiwanese I think due to shape - seller says 81 (I’d guessed 84/5)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/184621401586617/permalink/3885984948116892/

8F266DAD-AE62-4965-AC79-F953F1C36B3B.png

It is not early Taiwanese. Mine was an ’83 and it had the volume knob closer to strings, just like the Japanese BB300 models did. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There are a couple of BBPH knocking around £1200

I know it's limited etc but is that it now the end of the run. 

They look like a good investment when PMT had them for £899

A 'normal' used bass would be down and not up 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dean Vincent said:

I'm with you on that. To me the 424 sounds like a bass should sound. You can keep your 'refinement'! 😂

Now you've got me totally intrigued as to what the rest of your 'unrefined' signal chain (amp, cab & fx) is! 😁

PS you're certainly not alone on this thread of folk who prefer a 424 over the 1024, btw! 

Edited by Al Krow
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Now you've got me totally intrigued as to what the rest of your 'unrefined' signal chain (amp, cab & fx) is! 

Oh, y'know, a bit of Fender here, a bit of Laney there.....and nothing surpasses the Rat! 😆

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Dean Vincent said:

Oh, y'know, a bit of Fender here, a bit of Laney there.....and nothing surpasses the Rat! 😆

Cool. Be good to see some more Laney love out there - been tempted to get one of their SL heads which look pretty feature loaded, but the lack of bridging means that this '1000W' amp actually only delivers 250W through a single 8 ohm cab, which is a shame. You got a Laney valve head per chance?

I'm currently getting much of my dirt out of a tin can (Zoom B1-4) which includes a half decent Rat sim! Doesn't get much less refined than that 😁 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, BassApprentice said:

Yeah. Needs a bloody good clean. In current state it’s a £150 bass at best. Cleaned and set up/restrung and sparkly...possibly £250-£300.

I mentioned this in another thread about the efforts of a well known shop in Manchester.

”it’s vintage” 

‘oh right mate, just looks filthy...’

Edited by AndyTravis
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The only issue for me with the Rat is that it's better at sucking out low end than a vampire rodent! Definitely need to get some decent clean blend mixed in and a bit of bass EQ boost to restore that low end punch you're loving from your 424! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Yeah. Needs a bloody good clean. In current state it’s a £150 bass at best. Cleaned and set up/restrung and sparkly...possibly £250-£300.

I mentioned this in another thread about the efforts of a well known shop in Manchester.

”it’s vintage” 

‘oh right mate, just looks filthy...’

Which model is it? A 425? 415?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So I’ve just sorted the bb350f discussed above.

Frets will occur first.

Then Ive got to Sand the red paint off and make a decision.

here are options currently

LPB, Sherwood Green, burgundy Mist,Royal Purple...

 

AC92B274-A425-499A-A21C-C9D1425D09C9.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

So I’ve just sorted the bb350f discussed above.

Frets will occur first.

Then Ive got to Sand the red paint off and make a decision.

here are options currently

LPB, Sherwood Green, burgundy Mist,Royal Purple...

 

AC92B274-A425-499A-A21C-C9D1425D09C9.jpeg

The green would look just amazing 😍

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, javi_bassist said:

The green would look just amazing 😍

The green would be metallic - but like the bottle green bb1200’s.

Or the purple, like the bb5000 rarely appears in.

LPB is done - I’m still waiting on remortgage to be done and then I’m talking to @marleaux62 about his 1300.

and Burgundy Mist...not sure, had a bass in that before.

Matching Headstock is being done too, and then a decal.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...