Al Krow

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

What's the 1st string, E or G?!

If E, you can try a tapered set. Using a tapered B dropped the height considerably for me, I need to adjust it but so far have been really enjoying the grindy sound it produces due to the fret buzz so might have to lower the others to suit!

10 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

What's the 1st string, E or G?!

If E, you can try a tapered set. Using a tapered B dropped the height considerably for me, I need to adjust it but so far have been really enjoying the grindy sound it produces due to the fret buzz so might have to lower the others to suit!

1st string G. It's too high I think. The E string doesn't bother me for being a little bit higher than what I'm used to.

Order some Nickel RS66LDN as I like the nickel sound and feel so fingers crossed they sound good on my BB 😮

• Like 1

20 hours ago, javi_bassist said:

I have to comment something about my Yammys that I find odd. I have been playing my 5 strings as my main bass for a year or so, playing my Fender Jazz bass from time to time. The action in my BB735 is really low and I love it. I'm in love with this bass. However, today I picked up my 734 and I felt that the strings were a lot higher, so I did a set up. But the strings cannot be lowered since the saddles at the bridge are in their lowest position. The settings on my 735 are (in mm from the 5th to the 1st string) 3-2.5-2-2-1.5. While the strings on my 734 are 2.6-2.5-2.5-2.5. And they are at their lowest position. The 1st string bothers me (I can live with the rest). I know that the settings on my 735 are really low, but since the 734 is essentially the same, I thought I can get more or less the same. But that 1st string... Do you experience anything like this? I'm not the first owner of the 734 and I'm concerned it has some issue.

Daft question but did you check neck relief? 

Edited by andy67

3 hours ago, andy67 said:

Daft question but did you check neck relief? 

Yes! The neck on both are in the same position. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, javi_bassist said:

Yes! The neck on both are in the same position. 

This is a problem that can effect any bass, and  on a bolt- on neck is easily fixed by inserting a shim in the neck pocket.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Misdee said:

This is a problem that can effect any bass, and  on a bolt- on neck is easily fixed by inserting a shim in the neck pocket.

True, I did that with an old Fender Jazz I had. I didn't think about it now! Thank you! I'll do that

1 hour ago, javi_bassist said:

True, I did that with an old Fender Jazz I had. I didn't think about it now! Thank you! I'll do that

Even high-end, very expensive  basses often have shims.

• Like 1

On 01/09/2020 at 13:48, Fil1ip said:

What strings do people use on their BBs.

Mine has come with flat wounds but I think I prefer my Rotosounds roundwound on my cheap P bass (I think I prefer the feel). I have always used Rotosounds but I hear mixed reviews! 

A lot  depends on which BB you have, and what kind of a sound and  feel  you like. Different brands of the same gauge can feel very different in terms of tension. Round core DR's like Hi-Beams  or Sunbeams feel a lot more elastic than D'Addario XL,  for example.

I love the sound of Rotosound RS66 Swing Bass, but they tend to lose their lovely bright, aggressive tone pretty quickly. Once they go dull, they sound pretty average. They also have a very rough feel to them under your fingers( and on your frets). That roughness doesn't bother me, but some players find it uncomfortable.  Elites Stainless Steel are a pretty good alternative if you want a bright tone and they seem to stay bright a bit longer than Rotosound.

Edited by Misdee
  • Thanks 1

On 07/09/2020 at 11:56, BassApprentice said:

Anyone looking for a BB5000a? Has an odd tuning peg but seems a decent price for what will be a great bass! 

Screenshot_20200907-115511.png

Did I have a good long look at that, thinking about converting it to a four string? Mayyybeeeeee... 😕😁

Hello BB lovers

I would like to have your opinion and experience.

I want a passive 5 string bass and my focus are 2 BB models

- BB425

- BB435 

Which of this models have the most "genuine" BB sound and feeling? 

Which one has the best B string?

Thanks 

Edited by acroxixo

42 minutes ago, acroxixo said:

Hello BB lovers

I would like to have your opinion and experience.

I want a passive 5 string bass and my focus are 2 BB models

- BB425

- BB435 

Which of this models have the most "genuine" BB sound and feeling? 

Which one has the best B string?

Thanks 

As a newcomer to the BB range. I've had a new 435 which is according to Yamaha blurb fitted with XL170SL nickel strings. I personally didn't like the sound and the "B" felt like a rubber band. I am used to a 35" scale  bass which even though fitted at the mo with a 125 Mark Bass string is a lot tighter. I sent the 435 back but then purchased a secondhand 425. I changed the strings on it to a set of D'Addario XL 135. The 135 "B" is a lot better than the 130 supplied with the XL 130 set on the 435.

The tone of the 425 is also different to the 435 and in my opinion better. But unfortunately the tone is always relevant to the owner. Ceramic PU's as against Alnico on the 435. The 425 just seems a bit more edgy but still has a fat low end.

If weight is important the 435 is the lighter. Those with more experience of the BB range will surely throw another spanner in the works. My 425 is a keeper.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve not played a 435 but, from videos I’ve watched, they don’t nail the 415/425 tone that keeps me coming back to them

• Thanks 1

Horses for courses really, I much preferred the tone and response of my 435 vs the 41x/42x series pickups. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Not a BB I know, but we were talking about them a while ago; just spotted an attitude standard 5 for sale on ebay, £600 though! 

Yesterday I found a ex demo bbp34 in midnight blue. It should be in mint condition ‘cause it was an exposition model, never played by anyone .

cannot wait to receive it 🤩

• Like 2

NBD, yesterday.

I bought this beauty from @playbass.  A Yamaha BB434

IMG_0077.thumb.jpeg.875d6c6fd3b6cdae56df4cdc1823e3eb.jpeg

I spent a couple of hours practising with it this morning and used in our regular Friday afternoon rehearsal session.

I've read loads of comments about BBs in this thread and others, and I found my experience of the bass is similar to many others.  This is what I have noticed so far.

Sustain! A note will ring and ring and ring on for ever.  Muting is necessary with the BB where with other basses the note will die out after a bar or two by itself. Is this due to having the strings through the body?  My other basses are all strung at the bridge.

I've read that the J pup at the bridge is weak.  Not really.  It is weak compared to the split coil neck pup but not necessarily to other single coil J pups.  I will have to do a comparison with my Jazz bass.

The sound of the bridge pup is typically single coil at the bridge pup, and it gives that burpy Jaco sound.

The split coil neck pup is what you would expect of a split coil in the same position as a precision bass.  It is similar to a precision bass sound.  The neck pup either alone or with the bridge pup sounds great.  It is quite hot for a passive pick up and is hotter than the bridge pup, as I mentioned above.

The neck seems not have been treated with oil or lacquer or anything but I'm sure it has.

It's a good size and weight.  Not heavy but not too light that it feels like a toy.  This is my preference, I really don't like basses to be too light.  

Overall, this is a great all round bass, which I think will be very useful in my covers band.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have a BB3000s and just got a BB2000, nor sure I like the selector switch on the 2000 and prefer the sweet spot ( neck pup 100%  bridge pup 85%) with the VVT on the 3000. has anyone put a vvt set up on a 2000 and do you have a schematic?

17 minutes ago, Kevin B said:

I have a BB3000s and just got a BB2000, nor sure I like the selector switch on the 2000 and prefer the sweet spot ( neck pup 100%  bridge pup 85%) with the VVT on the 3000. has anyone put a vvt set up on a 2000 and do you have a schematic?

Just get @KiOgon to make you a VVT loom - then You can keep the original wiring in the case should you ever sell.

5 hours ago, AREA said:

still love my BB435. My everyday Workhorse...

20131231-P1010181.jpg

Quite fancy one of these

So today I tried the DR Pure Blues on my BB735 to replace the Dunlop Super Brights. So far, I prefer the DR B string, but it's hard to defeat the Super brights on the other 4 strings. My search still continues. I will try Daddario NYXL next. I'm also thinking about getting a Super Bright 6 string set to get the 130 gauge. 

• Like 1