Why become a member? ×

If you could only choose one octave pedal

AdamWoodBass

Just once in a while a pedal comes along that re-sets the bar. Well this analogue pedal by Josh Broughton looks like it may be about to put the field to do just that! This one was brought to my attention by @Quatschmacher as he knows how much I value latency free clean low tracking. Apart from Dannybuoy most of us have found that analogue octave pedals start glitching out at A or G on the E string (DB has some magic that allows him to get pedals to go lower!) with the MXR BOD managing to get down to an F# / possibly an F on the open E string. My current favourite octaver, the COG T16 starts glitching out at G.

The Broughton looks like it's going to get lower than the open E without glitching. I've asked Zach who has posted this review below to see if he can double check that. But if it can, I'll definitely be looking to get my hands on this one! Have a listen to the clean and sub together at 3.59 - it's pretty good. And some of the other possibilities are really cool - check out the octaver plus LPF envelope filter at 8.37.

7 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

To be fair, I’ve never tried the BOD on a five-string bass, it might go lower. It glitches on low E but that might simply be because it’s an open string (it glitches on all open strings to a certain degree).

This. I don't possess any magic, various analog octavers I've had have all glitched on sustained notes on open strings, yet been pretty stable on most fretted notes apart from the odd one here or there. Setup might be something to do with it, my action isn't that low and I have no string buzz to throw it off.

When I had an OC-3, I found that it was usually fine on the low A (5th on E string), but Ab would play 90s hardcore.

I missed the OC-2 & opted against the Meatbox.  But I'm expecting delivery of a MXR BOD either today or tomorrow.  Sounded good on the choob.

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

For sure, open strings are more glitchy for analogue octavers. 

However A and G on the E string is where most analogue pedals stop tightly tracking and start glitching and that's obviously nothing to do with the open string. 

No, it’s due to the period of the waveform being longer so it takes the hardware longer to read the note. 

8 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

No, it’s due to the period of the waveform being longer so it takes the hardware longer to read the note. 

Peter - that's helpful and seems to make sense, but I'm not 100% clear how that works?

In particular, what are the relative ballpark waveform periods (assume a standard 34" scale and standard guage strings) of the:

a) F# on the E string

b) open E string

c) F# on the B string, and 

d) an E on a B string?

If I play an open E, it glitches to the octave above after about 1.5 seconds. If I play the same note on the low B it can hold the lower octave for several seconds.

Open strings have more upper harmonics since your finger isn't in contact with the string, it's those that confuse the tracking as it can't tell if you're playing an open E or an E at the twelfth fret, so it bounces up and down trying to lock onto the note.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Peter - that's helpful and seems to make sense, but I'm not 100% clear how that works?

In particular, what are the relative ballpark waveform periods (assume a standard 34" scale and standard guage strings) of the:

a) F# on the E string

b) open E string

c) F# on the B string, and 

d) an E on a B string?

E is approximately 24ms

F# is approximately 21.6ms

low B is approximately 32ms

They are the same no matter which string they are played on. As mentioned, it’s the overtones on open strings which confuse the circuit. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

Flatwound/tapewound strings should help get rid of a lot of confusing harmonics. Worth a shot?

Sure but if you really want to dull the upper harmonics, the tone control would be more effective and quicker to try than a string swap!

6 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

Sure but if you really want to dull the upper harmonics, the tone control would be more effective and quicker to try than a string swap!

Ha! Very true. Though I’ve just acquired a Sandberg Electra VS4 (P bass) which has a 2-band EQ in active mode and is switchable to passive but with no passive tone control...so in my case a string swap is cheaper than a preamp swap! Sadly the treble control just doesn’t cut it. I do love the sound of the bass and my octavers seem to lock on very nicely too.

Got some LaBella Black Nylon Tapewounds lying around which should add to the woody thump ;)

12 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

Flatwound/tapewound strings should help get rid of a lot of confusing harmonics. Worth a shot?

Nope. It will kill my dirt pedals dead as a dodo. It's definitely not just all about the octaver! :)

10 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

+1

Better still, just get my 5er out, and play octave E on the B string :)

14 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Just once in a while a pedal comes along that re-sets the bar. Well this analogue pedal by Josh Broughton looks like it may be about to put the field to do just that! This one was brought to my attention by @Quatschmacher as he knows how much I value latency free clean low tracking. Apart from Dannybuoy most of us have found that analogue octave pedals start glitching out at A or G on the E string (DB has some magic that allows him to get pedals to go lower!) with the MXR BOD managing to get down to an F# / possibly an F on the open E string. My current favourite octaver, the COG T16 starts glitching out at G.

The Broughton looks like it's going to get lower than the open E without glitching. I've asked Zach who has posted this review below to see if he can double check that. But if it can, I'll definitely be looking to get my hands on this one! Have a listen to the clean and sub together at 3.59 - it's pretty good. And some of the other possibilities are really cool - check out the octaver plus LPF envelope filter at 8.37.

It sounds like it glitches a bit in the super low range, but it’s far more stable than any other octave when going that low. It’s really disappointing how expensive importing gear to the UK is, because Broughton makes a bunch of stuff I desperately want.

4 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

What? I use flats and there’s no lack of dirt. There’s a bit less extreme top-end sizzle. 

Well there's dirt and then there's dirt. Some are darker, distort the lows more and work perfectly well with flats, some are more adept at blending in distorted mids and upper harmonics, when you really need rounds. e.g. a SolidGoldFX Beta would sound pretty much the same with flats or rounds, but a Darkglass B3K would sound pants with flats.

2 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

Well there's dirt and then there's dirt. Some are darker, distort the lows more and work perfectly well with flats, some are more adept at blending in distorted mids and upper harmonics, when you really need rounds. e.g. a SolidGoldFX Beta would sound pretty much the same with flats or rounds, but a Darkglass B3K would sound pants with flats.

+1 Spot on DB

And then add in pups and and pick into the mix. 

Flatwounds on my Berg with Delano pups played finger style is a dirt killer. 

Roundwounds with Nordstrand or Warwick MEC, played with a pick,  the opposite. 

13 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

There are bright and dark flats. It is an option to play them with a pick too. 😀

+1

I have D'addario Chromes.  I play finger style too.  No problems with dirt.
I used to use TI Jazz flats & had no issues there either.

I'm looking for a new dirt pedal too.
I've never tried a B3K, but if it sounds pants with flats, then that's now off my list of dirt pedals.