Why become a member? ×

8 stringer

Bastav

So I started this a few months back but its been sitting pretty for a while but I think I might make progress soon so I decided to start a thread for it. Here´s the sketch, not all planned out but basically this is what I´m going for

What it is;[list]
[*]8 strings, octave formation
[*]28´´ scale
[*]Thuya top and back
[*]wenge and limba accent stripes (the way I glued these up, I´ll be surprised if I don´t have a few gaps... we´ll see)
[*]mahogany center
[*]mahogany/maple/purpleheart neck... to scarf or not to scarf, that be the question...
[*]Fretboard will be bubinga
[*]I might try making my own bridge... or just buy one of them schallers
[*]will string it up with flats for all eight strings
[*]pickups will be some random jazzbasspups I have lying around
[*]Black Sperzel locking tuners for the real strings and sperzel copys for the alternative strings
[/list]
hmmm, anything else?

gluing up the mahogany core

Here´s the neck and fretboard. The maple stringers are a bit uneven thickness wise. I´ll probably be able to hide the worst of it under the fb

Here´s the wood used for the top/back (bookmatched since this picture was taken) and the fretboard

That´s it for now!

There is so much i love about your builds Bastav so looking forward to this myself,
Its because your designs are good and you have much talent that i just want to say this ..
I do feel you let yourself down with some of the finer detail , if you would take more time and get even the smallest thing 100% perfect before moving on to the next job... I think your basses would move into a whole new level. :) .

Ian

Edited by scojack

Thanks for the encouragment!
I agree with your critique scojack. Sometimes its a matter of patience where i settle for good enough and other times i just dont know the limitations of what im working with. i feel like im learning with every mistake i make but i never run out of things to get wrong

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting choice of scale length! I've often wondered whether a longer scale (32 or 34") would have improved on my Hagstrom (30"), but then wondered if it was more likely to have issues with intonation on the octave strings. So I will be very interested to see how a 28" pans out - really looking forward to seeing how this one turns out!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the comment! The choice of scale length was down a couple of things, mostly that I wanted to try flatwound strings for all eight strings and I figured a wound G string (octave) might not want to stretch to 30'' or more. It might not be able to handle the tension at 28'' either but... maybe ;)

Edited by Bastav

The body is glued up and today I cut the shape out, some shaping of the outline remains but it's close. Then I had to deal with the quite serious thickness issue I had from trying to use a band saw that was not up to the task to bookmatch the thuya top & back. The thuya wood clogs sandpaper in no time and does not like to be planed so I used the shinto rasp to do most of the work and then just some sanding to finish it off. I also did some carving tests

Here's a pic showing some of the thickness inconsistencies

Front and back

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1493067900' post='3285413']
Expect the grain on this to really pop once it's oiled...
[/quote]

I hope so too. The thuya is a bit of a pain to work with so it'd better be worth it :)

Thanks for the comments!