Why become a member? ×

Slight concern waiting for delivery

Smash

I may be a bit premature here but how long does a bass take to arrive from the States, I recently bought a bass off ebay in the US and this was sent to me on the 3rd October via USPS but from there on in I have not received anything and even the ebay seller has not responded to my 3 emails in the past 7 days. The tracking number states, this item has left the sender on the 3rd October. Starting to feel a bit worried as it wasn't cheap. What would you do if you were me, sit tight and wait or prompt ebay?

You have a tracking number from USPS so why not follow it up with them? It could be sat in a warehouse over here now for all you know.

I sent a large parcel to the States a few years ago (Bass Guitarist magazines) and it went door to door in 3 days...

Edited by yorks5stringer

[quote name='OldGit' post='311153' date='Oct 21 2008, 11:17 AM']Once it gets to the UK it may sit in a depot whist they dictate, type and post a letter/ransome note to you telling you they have a parcel and you have to pay the VAT and stuff to get it[/quote]

Yeah it's probably delayed at HMRC. It can take three or four weeks, maybe longer, for a parcel to get to your door from the USA.

Thanks for the replies.

The tracking number tells me "package number has left the sender on the 3rd October if you require more information please contact the sender, this tracking is now complete"

This is very odd as my job is an import/export clerk and my DHL/Fedex/TNT accounts tell me exactly which stage the item is at. I just called USPS and they seem unhelpful and tell me to contact the original sender. I suppose I better wait a bit longer.

USPS are incredibly insular in outlook and service ... parcels within the USA are dealt with reasonably quickly and efficiently, parcels for export are treated with contempt.

They can be unbelievably slow and unhelpful, and you have to keep chasing them to get any progress at all.

I wouldn't worry too much yet.

My thumb bass took about 3 weeks to get to me. It spent almost a week sitting in the post office in the states, then when it got to customs again it was there for ages. Then finally it went to the local Parcelforce depot & sat there until I phoned them up wondering what was going on & was told they'd been waiting for me to call to pay the customs charges.

go to parcelfarce's web site a put your USPS tracking number in,if p'force have your parcel the website will tell you.
i just recieved some parts for my bike that i ordered on the 4th october.
you should recieve an email from USPS saying that they attempted to deliver you parcel,what this means is that parcelforce now have it.parcelforce will send you a letter asking you to pay the customs charges + their own handling fee,which you can do via their website,once you pay this they will deliver it next day.

Edited by artisan

[quote name='artisan' post='311312' date='Oct 21 2008, 01:58 PM']go to parcelfarce's web site a put your USPS tracking number in,if p'force have your parcel the website will tell you.
i just recieved some parts for my bike that i ordered on the 4th october.
you should recieve an email from USPS saying that they attempted to deliver you parcel,what this means is that parcelforce now have it.parcelforce will send you a letter asking you to pay the customs charges + their own handling fee,which you can do via their website,once you pay this they will deliver it next day.[/quote]

a good point. transaction may be complete as its with a diff company now, i.e. parcelforce

I had a parcel from the US who's tracking was set in motion on 24th September deliver today...

The longest time between trackings is normally from when it leaves the US to when it enters the UK this can be up to 10 days. I've also had one parcel that failed to leave the US - it got returned to the sender before even leaving the US. Do you know which USPS parcel service the sender used?

Just a quick update, checked the tracking code again and this came up:

"The U.S. Postal Service was electronically notified by the shipper on October 4, 2008 to expect your package for mailing. This does not indicate receipt by the USPS or the actual mailing date. Delivery status information will be provided if / when available. Information, if available, is updated every evening. Please check again later."

Tried a couple more emails to seller and no response as yet. I can't help but feel a little concerend still.

[quote name='joe_bass' post='313846' date='Oct 24 2008, 02:37 PM']Have you threatened the seller with Ebay action at all?[/quote]
I haven't as yet, his feedback is glowing with 100% after 900 odd transactions worldwide, typical, I will soon might have to threaten something as its a lot of money.

[quote name='neepheid' post='313916' date='Oct 24 2008, 03:54 PM']Try entering the USPS tracking code into the Parcelforce tracker. If it's landed here then it should convert it into a UK tracking code and give you an idea of where it might be.[/quote]
I tried this also but it tells me nothing, I feel very much in the dark....

If USPS have recieved the parcel from he shipper it should show pretty much imediately as "advised" in the parcelforce tracker.
to me it sounds as though USPS hav'nt yet recieved it.
Ive bought on a regular basis from the states and insist on USPS every time for that reason.
this is not so good.
3 weeks is a long time to wait for a parcel,never mind tracking info.

Edited by kennyrodg

When i bought my new Fiesta Red P body from Stratosphere on the 'bay it took around 4 days for it to arrive in the UK when sent through the USPS. When it was posted i was sent an email from USPS saying the sender had sent the item....apparently you can't track USPS, the tracking number only tells you when and where the item was posted.

Once the item landed in the UK it went on to Parcelfarce who the sent me a bill for customs which i promptly paid on line and asked for the item to be delivered next day....which of course never happened....first request was ignored and a Parcelfarce new start apparently never had time to deliver it the second time :) Ended up a guy working for Parcelfarce dropped it off on the way home from work.

To sum up....I HATE COURIERS...bunch of mouthbreathing escapees from a monkey factory. They should all be sent to the moon....thought they'd probably get lost on the way.

I would be a bit concerned in these circumstances.

[quote name='Smash' post='313843' date='Oct 24 2008, 02:34 PM']Just a quick update, checked the tracking code again and this came up:

"The U.S. Postal Service was electronically notified by the shipper on October 4, 2008 to expect your package for mailing. This does not indicate receipt by the USPS or the actual mailing date. Delivery status information will be provided if / when available. Information, if available, is updated every evening. Please check again later."

Tried a couple more emails to seller and no response as yet. I can't help but feel a little concerend still.[/quote]

I would be VERY concerned,especially with your post "Tracking complete",it should not be complete at all!!

Here's the way my tracking went on a bass recently

Accepted New Jersey 13th september
In New Jersey central sorting office 18th September (Bas***s,it was 17 miles away!)
Left USA 21st Sept
In foreign (U.K.) Customs 22nd Sept
At Parcelforce 23rd September

Letter through the door,stating holding bass until duty paid 23rd September,went and got it

And that was sent to me with SUPER cheap shipping from the USA $134 via USPS

Like I said,I would be extremely worried by now,sorry :)