Why become a member? ×

Hi pass filter best buy

jonnythenotes

I know nothing about this subject whatsoever, but I'm sure some of you guys do, so here we go. I read a review on a piece of kit called a MicroThumpinator, and from what I have read, and with my very limited understanding of all things 'tech,' they look pretty good. Is this a hi pass filter, and are there any good alternatives to this on the market. I like the idea of being able to remove some of the really low rumble that I seem to have no control over, and a low pass filter seems to allow you to select a frequency, and cut off everything lower than it. So to recap.... Is the Mini Thumpinator any good,or is there a good quality hi pass filter around that will do a similar or better job without breaking the bank ? One thing I hope for is ultra simplicity, so keep it straightforward to operate guys, as in 'on/off,' and as few knobs and buttons as possible. My amp is a Tecamp Puma 900, and my cab is a gen2 Barefaced Super 12t.... Thanks again fellas for reading this, and for any help or advice you can offer...........PS any links or reviews you can point me at would also be greatly appreciated....

Edited by jonnythenotes

[quote name='jonnythenotes' timestamp='1485781182' post='3226589']
Thanks guys, I have already e mailed the company to find out price and delivery waiting time.....
[/quote]

It took just under two weeks for mine to arrive. Max builds in batches I believe so the more that order one the quicker it'll be I guess.

Really appreciate your responses chaps.... Max has already responded to me with price...£119, and a delivery time of a few days. On the strength of his quick response, price and the fact I might have it this time next week, I have ordered one...... I also love the fact that it's hand made. What really sold me is a short video on his site of a 4x10 cab being given some beans both before and after the Micro Thumpinator is used.... A real eye opener......check it out on the SFX site... Cheers chapz.

[quote name='jonnythenotes' timestamp='1485793463' post='3226721']
Really appreciate your responses chaps.... Max has already responded to me with price...£119, and a delivery time of a few days. On the strength of his quick response, price and the fact I might have it this time next week, I have ordered one...... I also love the fact that it's hand made. What really sold me is a short video on his site of a 4x10 cab being given some beans both before and after the Micro Thumpinator is used.... A real eye opener......check it out on the SFX site... Cheers chapz.
[/quote]

I've seen the video :) The extra headroom was an unexpected and welcome bonus. I hope you like it :)

The Lo control on the Puma 900 at 30hz is almost certainly affecting more than just what is under 30hz. It is probably centered at 30hz but might well be (and this is a guess) reaching up an octave or an octave and a half so you would be slicing off quite a lot of your grunt there. The Micro Thumpinator just slices off everything beneath the given frequency and leaves the rest intact.

Pleased to hear of your delivery time. I waited almost two months for my Micro Thumpinator to arrive, which it did last week. I plugged it in and it works so well that no bass whatsoever made it to the output socket, just a mild white noise :o

Currently on its way back to SFX for diagnosis, I will keep you lot posted with progress.

As an aside, what power supply are you intending to use with it, as they do not come with one?

Hey Fleabag, and thanks for your comments.... The only kit I use is a Seymore Duncan pick up booster, a Stageclix radio system, and any day now a Mini Thumpinator. I presume, working from the guitar back to the amp, it will be radio receiver into the pick up booster, booster into the Thumpinator and then into the amp.... What do you think?

[quote name='jonnythenotes' timestamp='1486020071' post='3228491']
Hey Fleabag, and thanks for your comments.... The only kit I use is a Seymore Duncan pick up booster, a Stageclix radio system, and any day now a Mini Thumpinator. I presume, working from the guitar back to the amp, it will be radio receiver into the pick up booster, booster into the Thumpinator and then into the amp.... What do you think?
[/quote]

This is much debated :) I'm thinking that with a compressor/tuner/octaver/overdrive/fuzz/chorus/flanger setup I put the MT 1st to keep the sub 30Hz stuff out of the pedals as well as the amp. It seems to work.

Peter

[quote name='GreeneKing' timestamp='1486024491' post='3228537']
This is much debated :) I'm thinking that with a compressor/tuner/octaver/overdrive/fuzz/chorus/flanger setup I put the MT 1st to keep the sub 30Hz stuff out of the pedals as well as the amp. It seems to work.
[/quote]
Only by you it seems Peter, everyone else I know puts them as the last element in the chain to ensure that the pedals don't introduce any sub-frequencies. The only thing I might want downstream of it is a DI box.

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1486032735' post='3228610']
Only by you it seems Peter, everyone else I know puts them as the last element in the chain to ensure that the pedals don't introduce any sub-frequencies. The only thing I might want downstream of it is a DI box.
[/quote]

You could put one between each pedal ? And one from the bass and to the amplifier? :D

[quote name='jonnythenotes' timestamp='1486020071' post='3228491']
[/quote]

I dont see any problem with that