Why become a member? ×

Best rig for a Stingray?

Storky

Some combinations just don't work that well in the signal chain. I was really happy with sound from my ESP/Spoector, EMG powered guitars with my Ashdown rigg but not with my current Genz Benz kit. The Ashdown seemed to color the sound in a positive way, where as the GB is very transparent.

When i had my SR5 i used it through a TE stack 12 band 300W head in to 2x10+H + 1x15. It had a sound capable to move mountains but it also could be a bit muddy in the lows if i boosted them just a bit. In the end i let go of this setup and moved to other kit that had my sound straight out of the box.

It was one of the prettiest and better built basses i've owned and it pains me to have let it go but in the end of the day i know it would just sit pretty on the wall hanger most of the times.

Here's the rig:

Ive tried Markbass and Barefaced but ended up choosing EBS and I haven looked back loved the warm vintage tone that compliments the Stingray tone perfectly IMO

[URL=http://s1272.photobucket.com/user/mikeoranage/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2FD7E2D2-02CF-49F0-9590-E8F14EE614D1_zpsv0koueyi.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y382/mikeoranage/Mobile%20Uploads/2FD7E2D2-02CF-49F0-9590-E8F14EE614D1_zpsv0koueyi.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1484828858' post='3218817']
When i had my SR5 i used it through a TE stack 12 band 300W head in to 2x10+H + 1x15. It had a sound capable to move mountains but it also could be a bit muddy in the lows if i boosted them just a bit. In the end i let go of this setup and moved to other kit that had my sound straight out of the box.

It was one of the prettiest and better built basses i've owned and it pains me to have let it go but in the end of the day i know it would just sit pretty on the wall hanger most of the times.

Here's the rig:

Looks really nice; I feel your pain, but seems you got an even better set up subsequently?

[/quote]
[quote name='mrn1989' timestamp='1484840385' post='3218995']
Ive tried Markbass and Barefaced but ended up choosing EBS and I haven looked back loved the warm vintage tone that compliments the Stingray tone perfectly IMO

[url="http://s1272.photobucket.com/user/mikeoranage/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2FD7E2D2-02CF-49F0-9590-E8F14EE614D1_zpsv0koueyi.jpg.html"][/url]
[/quote]

That's good to know. I had not thought of EBS.

Thanks guys

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1484853328' post='3219172']
I used a Stingray with a Gallien Krueger MB Fusion and it was a pretty good pairing imo.
[/quote]

Me too, great combo. I'll add that it suited my old 1001-ii too.

I've owned a StingRay for the past 30 years and have run it through various amps over that time:

Trace Elliot GP12 combo with 4x10 speakers
Ampeg SVT Classic with 8x10 cab
Ampeg SVT200 with 8x10 cab
Ampeg SVT3 with 4x10 and 1x15 cabs
Genz Benz Streamliner 900 with Genz Benz NX212T cab

The only amp setup that I didn't get on with was the Trace Elliot as I found it too sterile and clangy sounding, but the Genz Benz rig really seems to suit the StingRay (or vice versa).

Edited by matski

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1484739218' post='3217897']
If you value mids, avoid Eden and SWR.
[/quote]
Absolutely wrong. Have been using SWR workingpro700 and 750x for the past 5 years with my Sr5 exclusively and the miss are strong and focused. Both have ample controls to boost or cut the the frequencies you might want thanks to their parametric pots.
Really weird you should write something like this as the opposite is true.

[quote name='matski' timestamp='1484913155' post='3219605']
I've owned a StingRay for the past 30 years and have run it through various amps over that time:

Trace Elliot GP12 combo with 4x10 speakers
Ampeg SVT Classic with 8x10 cab
Ampeg SVT200 with 8x10 cab
Ampeg SVT3 with 4x10 and 1x15 cabs
Genz Benz Streamliner 900 with Genz Benz NX212T cab

The only amp setup that I didn't get on with was the Trace Elliot as I found it too sterile and clangy sounding, but the Genz Benz rig really seems to suit the StingRay (or vice versa).
[/quote]

I have a GB Streamliner 600 and Nx212T and agree it sounds great