Why become a member? ×

Who sell decent bass bodies in UK

Harryburke14

So, in the week I had a wee bit of an accident. One of my basses (a Harley Benton Jazz Bass) fell off of its wall hook -my fault for not clipping the thing over- and onto a set of drawers and now its dinged up, mostly on the body. I also find the body to be on the heavy side. So it rarely leaves the house, which is a shame for how good it sounds. I have been toying for a while with getting an aftermarket body thats a bit lighter and the few scratches now just further that idea.

So, without splashing too much cash, who in the UK sell decent, pre-routed jazz bass bodies, and does anybody have any experience with any UK body companies?

Also, a side note, the bass cost me £80 secondhand from this site, and the upgrades i had done to it cost another £60, so Id rather not shell out loads of cash on what is otherwise a cheap instrument.

Edited by Harryburke14

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1483222975' post='3205574']

I think the budget has been added in the edit, but at £60 it will be tight. 2nd hand perhaps?
[/quote]

£60 isnt the budget maybe i didnt make that clear. Up to £100 ish is what Im looking to pay. Ive been scouring the second hand pages and havent found any joy thus far.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1483230438' post='3205604']
Just how bad is the body? Maybe we can suggest ways to fix it up and there could be ways to fix the weight issues.
[/quote]

theres no structural damage, just chips in the lacquer but now I know theyre there my OCD dislikes it.

Weight reduction sounds like a good idea though, would love to hear ideas.

Edited by Harryburke14

[quote name='Harryburke14' timestamp='1483231009' post='3205609']

Very tempted at the minute but the weight of them is a real killer
[/quote]
Something to consider is if the whole bass is weighty, if you get a new light weight body, will the heavy neck give it neck dive?

FWIW my take would be to grin and bear it while you save up for a better bass. Cheap basses are a,good starter but they are cheap for a reason. Good luck with the search and the sale.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1483231887' post='3205613']

Something to consider is if the whole bass is weighty, if you get a new light weight body, will the heavy neck give it neck dive?

FWIW my take would be to grin and bear it while you save up for a better bass. Cheap basses are a,good starter but they are cheap for a reason. Good luck with the search and the sale.
[/quote]

True. For now I'll probably stick to it.

Maybe treat meself to a specced out J bass when I turn a certain age later in the year. Maybe my first real Fender or that Sandberg PMT Birmingham have that i promised Id buy myself one day...

Edited by Harryburke14

Loads of repair threads on here as well. Why not have a go yourself? I am doing an Epiphone EB3 at the moment that was cracked so bad the corner was almost hanging off. Once it's finished I doubt you will be able to tell it was ever damaged. I am planning to change the colour and the bridge (I don't like the Gibson style bridge) but all in it won't cost half your budget and I get to choose exactly what colour I want. It won't help the weight but as said above you can save up for a new one.

[quote name='Harryburke14' timestamp='1483230542' post='3205606']

theres no structural damage, just chips in the lacquer but now I know theyre there my OCD dislikes it.

Weight reduction sounds like a good idea though, would love to hear ideas.
[/quote]

Strip the finish, thin the body, refinish in oil?

[quote name='therealting' timestamp='1483275879' post='3205788']

Strip the finish, thin the body, refinish in oil?
[/quote]

I will have a look into this actually. Sand down, try and bring in all the edges by a quarter of an inch or so (or as much as i can get away with), maybe make it a bit thinner front to back, and refinish.
I had looked into chambering and capping but that seems like far too much effort and i didnt want to lose too much sustain.

[quote name='Harryburke14' timestamp='1483276358' post='3205795']
I will have a look into this actually. Sand down, try and bring in all the edges by a quarter of an inch or so (or as much as i can get away with), maybe make it a bit thinner front to back, and refinish.
I had looked into chambering and capping but that seems like far too much effort and i didnt want to lose too much sustain.
[/quote]
Hi, Harry

Guitar and bass builds and mods is my hobby and I like doing veneer jobs because of the sheer transformation you can get for not much outlay. I'm presently doing some trials with different varnishes, etc so more than happy to quote you on a veneer job if you are happy to be a 'guinea pig'. If you are OK with some of the veneers I have in the loft, we can probably do a deal that gets close to your budget.

Ref the weight, I suspect the body is plywood - it tends to be very heavy! Very feasible to get some wood out of it - and the tone is not likely to be affected at all (there are a lot of myths around on the topic).

Drop me a PM if that's of any interest.

Andy

p.s. - these are a few of the veneer jobs I've done:

This recent one is plywood (there's a thread in the Build Diaries)...nothing wrong with plywood:

...and this is also plywood (but probably couldn't do a deal on this type of thing :lol: ):

This is my own Squier VM bass:

Edited by Andyjr1515

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1483278737' post='3205836']

Hi, Harry

Guitar and bass builds and mods is my hobby and I like doing veneer jobs because of the sheer transformation you can get for not much outlay. I'm presently doing some trials with different varnishes, etc so more than happy to quote you on a veneer job if you are happy to be a 'guinea pig'. If you are OK with some of the veneers I have in the loft, we can probably do a deal that gets close to your budget.

Ref the weight, I suspect the body is plywood - it tends to be very heavy! Very feasible to get some wood out of it - and the tone is not likely to be affected at all (there are a lot of myths around on the topic).

Andy

This recent one is plywood (there's a thread in the Build Diaries)...nothing wrong with plywood:

...and this is also plywood (but probably couldn't do a deal on this type of thing :lol: ):

[/quote]

I believe the body is ash (according to Thomann listing) but it is heavy as anything. Weighed today to be about 11.5lbs, which in my opinion is heavy.

[quote name='Harryburke14' timestamp='1483281651' post='3205864']
I believe the body is ash (according to Thomann listing) but it is heavy as anything. Weighed today to be about 11.5lbs, which in my opinion is heavy.
[/quote]
Ash may look ok stripped and oiled. It may look a bit bland though, and be prepared to see knots and 'interesting' grain.

The benefit in Andy's veneer proposal is it would cover all ills in the look of the wood. The down side is its adding back all the wood thickness you may have sanded off; adding back the weight.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1483282224' post='3205872']
Ash may look ok stripped and oiled. It may look a bit bland though, and be prepared to see knots and 'interesting' grain.

The benefit in Andy's veneer proposal is it would cover all ills in the look of the wood. The down side is its adding back all the wood thickness you may have sanded off; adding back the weight.
[/quote]

To be honest, the veneer would add a few ounces at the most - it's only 0.6mm thick. Wow, though, 11.5 lb is VERY heavy. Is it a visible all-round natural finish? ie, can you actually see that it's solid wood at the sides? The good news is that if the wood, ply ash or solid ash, is that heavy, then a decent amount of weight comes out with each chamber cut.

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1483283341' post='3205890']

To be honest, the veneer would add a few ounces at the most - it's only 0.6mm thick. Wow, though, 11.5 lb is VERY heavy. Is it a visible all-round natural finish? ie, can you actually see that it's solid wood at the sides? The good news is that if the wood, ply ash or solid ash, is that heavy, then a decent amount of weight comes out with each chamber cut.
[/quote]

Yeah its solid natural all over, couldnt say how many pieces make up the body but probably a fair few.

Ive sent you a PM btw.

Edited by Harryburke14

[quote name='Harryburke14' timestamp='1483300819' post='3206058']
Sorted. Mr Andyjr1515 is taking it to be lightened and veneered. Have a feeling its going to look superb.
[/quote]

Now that's a major result.

Love Andy's work. The man's an artist.

Edited by Cato

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1483301326' post='3206065']

Now that's a major result.

Love Andy's work. The man's an artist.
[/quote]
Kind of you to say so, Cato. Though some might add the qualifier of p**s artist ;)

Having said that, all going well, this one's going to be a stonker :)

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1483278737' post='3205836']
Hi, Harry

Andy

[/quote]Lovely work very impressive,as a matter of interest does the veneer have to be thickened [backed] when adding to a chambered bass or is it stable enough with the 0.6mm top ?

[quote name='timhiggins' timestamp='1483348088' post='3206307']
Lovely work very impressive,as a matter of interest does the veneer have to be thickened [backed] when adding to a chambered bass or is it stable enough with the 0.6mm top ?
[/quote]

The veneer has no real structural strength at all. If you chambered from the top, you would need to cover it - a bit like a control chamber cover - and then veneer over that. It is probably how we will tackle this one. I'll be doing a thread on the progress so you'll be able to see how it all pans out. Quite often, on projects like this, decisions need to be made on the hoof, so it will be interesting how close the final method is to the present thoughts.