Why become a member? ×

Travelling thumb

highwayman

I've had my bass since April, but have only really started to progress in my learning since I started a tuition book by Stuart Clayton.
I took to decision to stash my plectrums and have a go at finger style: wow, I'm pleased with my progress (and find my fingers motoring away whilst walking to work, touring the aisles of Sainsbury's, etc!).
One thing that I'm finding: my thumb seems very happy sat on to edge of my Stingray's (sole) pickup, and so whilst I understand the string-muting benefits of the 'travelling thumb', does everyone use it or do some experienced bassists keep it anchored?

I keep it achored on the E unless I'm playing on it, in which case I either rest my palm on the body of the bass or I sort of rest my wrist on the top edge of the basses body.

I'm self taught though and have several 'bad' habits.

Edited by Cato

There are 3 main approaches to this:
(1) Fixed anchor - thumb stays in one place e.g. edge of pickup cover;
(2) Moving anchor, e.g. thumb sits on string immediately above the one being plucked; and
(3) Fully floating - thumb is not anchored, but rests on lower strings to mute them.

They all have their pro's and con's.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1483131453' post='3205001']
There are 3 main approaches to this:
(1) Fixed anchor - thumb stays in one place e.g. edge of pickup cover;
(2) Moving anchor, e.g. thumb sits on string immediately above the one being plucked; and
(3) Fully floating - thumb is not anchored, but rests on lower strings to mute them.

They all have their pro's and con's.
[/quote]

Using these in combination can deepen your "palette" as it were.

I have always adapted a fender thumbrest (by making it shallow enough) and fitted it between the two pickups on my mostly PJ instruments.
This gives you an area around three inches wide to rest on.
Currently have a USA 62 reissue P bass which doesnt have a Jazz pickup, so it also doesnt have the thumbrest. Took me a while to get used to being locked in one place but I have found my thumb wandering up onto the E string a little of late.
I will try to post a photo of the PJ I still have - mod'ed that in 1983!

On my 5 string I move my thumb around between the pickup, B string or E string. When I played 4 string it was either pickup or E string.

Seems to me this is a solution looking for a problem. Watch your favourite players on YT. Hardly anyone uses fully floating thumb. Most people, including most top pro's, seem to be able to mute the strings without this technique. You've got to be anchored somewhere, either your forearm on the edge of instrument or all the way up at your shoulder. IME it's easier to use the moveable anchor.

Also I think you get better control of each note with a grip between a fixed thumb and the plucking fingers.

4-string - pickup cover. 5-string - pickup cover or B string. Also occasionally (with either) the side of the neck, if for some reason I'm plucking that far from the bridge.

I also use a classical guitar technique, playing with thumb and two fingers (I have some sort of mental block on this, playing guitar I use thumb and three fingers) in which case my entire hand position changes.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1483187374' post='3205285']
Seems to me this is a solution looking for a problem. Watch your favourite players on YT. Hardly anyone uses fully floating thumb. Most people, including most top pro's, seem to be able to mute the strings without this technique.
[/quote]

It's true that you don't see many pro's using fully floating thumb. I tried it out of curiosity (not to fix a perceived problem), and found it helped my playing.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1483187374' post='3205285']
Also I think you get better control of each note with a grip between a fixed thumb and the plucking fingers.
[/quote]

I think the jury's out on that one.

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1483131895' post='3205007']

Using these in combination can deepen your "palette" as it were.
[/quote]
True I tend to swap about depending what I have to play, I see this as preferable to rigid adherence to one mode

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1483261835' post='3205654']
True I tend to swap about depending what I have to play, I see this as preferable to rigid adherence to one mode
[/quote]

Yes. That is true for sections of individual songs quite often. Someone mentioned a technique taken from classical guitar where the thumb picks too. I've found it worth using my thumb in the same way but I was taking the idea from the claw hammer pick (among others) used in ukulele and banjo playing. The anchor point there tends to be at the inner elbow of the picking hand.

@ OP; If you like playing finger-style, why not use your thumb as a pick occasionally? Alternate between using your thumb and little finger as an anchor against the [i]body[/i] of your instrument and have a little experiment. You may well find it opens up some more possibilities for you. You needn't always hang onto a protrusion unless you are digging in. Turn your gain up and lighten your touch to compensate and the anchor becomes less crucial, for me anyway.

I am an aeronautical engineer and I have no problem with the notion. It isn't often but sometimes when I loose myself in the groove as it were I notice my hand is negotiating with the strings very nicely without anchor.

I think having spent a lot of time with the Hohner and the Steiny I have never depended on my forearm resting on the body of the instrument and my arm muscles have developed around that. Now that I am playing the Vantage more with its Fenderish shape, I find it is nice to rest my forearm. I don't want to get too set in my ways until I buy my ultimate object of desire - a fretless five.

Thank you for the informative replies all. When I use a pick I find myself naturally using the lower edge of my palm to mute, no one showed me, it just came naturally. I guess I'll find my way with fingerstyling too.
One thought: on basses that don't have thumb rests (like my Stingray), I'm surprised manufacturers haven't made the top edge of the pickup cover more ergonomically shaped, sort of a 'thumb seat'?

[quote name='highwayman' timestamp='1483299168' post='3206036']
Thank you for the informative replies all. When I use a pick I find myself naturally using the lower edge of my palm to mute, no one showed me, it just came naturally. I guess I'll find my way with fingerstyling too.
One thought: on basses that don't have thumb rests (like my Stingray), I'm surprised manufacturers haven't made the top edge of the pickup cover more ergonomically shaped, sort of a 'thumb seat'?
[/quote]

That gets me sometimes too. The Vantage has sharp edges and corners on the plastic covers of both P and J pups. The other two have nicely rounded humbucker covers.

It isn't so much of a problem now. I think starting off I was heavy handed. I'd find myself choking notes with my left hand and really pulling at the strings with my right until I'd relax. It's so easy to tense up. Sometimes my fingertips were sore from it. I made efforts to be less aggressive with my fingers and discovered that my tone improved a lot.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='highwayman' timestamp='1485553802' post='3224972']
Ref the pickup on my Stingray: it has two screw 'humps' on the top, which I sit my thumb between - when I've tried taking it onto the E or A strings & back again those humps seem to be in the way. Anyone else found this?
[/quote]

Sometimes. It isn't so often now but I found myself having to will my hand into staying at a set distance from the bridge for the tonal qualities more than for returning my thumb to its roost so to speak. Funny enough though, I was playing through something today where I sacrificed tone for attack by using the neck pick up for a thumb rest. The tune demanded a sustained staccato. The strings deflect more here too so it is important for consistency, I find, to anchor for those notes on the B. On the Steinberger the screw heads don't really get in the way but I can feel them easily to confirm by feel where I am when needed.

[quote name='Oopsdabassist' timestamp='1483271063' post='3205731']
The Engineer in me says an anchor is essential,
[/quote]

The injury awareness in me says it's not. ;) While the moveable anchor does not involve bending the wrist, anchoring on the pick up does... Over time, this can result in CTS or similar injury problems.

For the floating thumb doubters, here it is in action. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnbUWWW1Abg