Why become a member? ×

Anyone mixed Round and Flats???

thebigyin

I can see why, but would think getting the balance right across them would be very difficult. I broke a roundwound D once and put a fresh one on to carry on playing - it was so loud and bright compared to the rest of the played in strings it made it difficult to play. Had to change the others in the break.

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1483043724' post='3204416']
I can see why, but would think getting the balance right across them would be very difficult. I broke a roundwound D once and put a fresh one on to carry on playing - it was so loud and bright compared to the rest of the played in strings it made it difficult to play. Had to change the others in the break.
[/quote]

If it was a rotosound you should have waited 20 mins and it would have been as dull as the rest of the strings ,:-)

Edited by markstuk

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1483043724' post='3204416']
[/quote]

How on earth did you manage to break a bass string? I am in awe......

[quote name='Rocker' timestamp='1483051700' post='3204484']
How on earth did you manage to break a bass string? I am in awe......
[/quote]
On rounds, it's usually one of 3 things... Lots of slap (the pulls on the D & G take their toll), heavy playing with a plectrum and/or build up of dirt.

On flats, it's lots of slap. Dirt adds to the tone.

The only others that I could think of that breaks bass strings is either a fault with the materials or the bassist being abusive (e.g. picking the bass up by the strings).