Why become a member? ×

Tone heaven

interpol52

Love that song and love that bass line - one of my "desert island basslines". John Gustafson was a really great and really under-rated player. You're right they had some properly good bass players through their ranks, esp in the 70s and 80s. I'm not a fan of Roxy but I love Alan Spenner's playing with them on the albums around Avalon era.

LitD was recorded on a unique bass guitar... a hand built/modified P-bass made for Gustafson by Ian Waller a few years before he started building Wal basses full time. The bass had a heavily over wound P-bass pickup that Ian Waller rewound himself by hand. That and Johnny Gus' fingers contributed to that unique sound. Classy player!

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1481925192' post='3196416']
Love that song and love that bass line - one of my "desert island basslines". John Gustafson was a really great and really under-rated player. You're right they had some properly good bass players through their ranks, esp in the 70s and 80s. I'm not a fan of Roxy but I love Alan Spenner's playing with them on the albums around Avalon era.

LitD was recorded on a unique bass guitar... a hand built/modified P-bass made for Gustafson by Ian Waller a few years before he started building Wal basses full time. The bass had a heavily over wound P-bass pickup that Ian Waller rewound himself by hand. That and Johnny Gus' fingers contributed to that unique sound. Classy player!
[/quote]

Wow, that's what I love about this forum sometimes. I just assumed it was a standard Precision bass.

Now I need a Wal.

Edited by interpol52

Would it be even more tempting if I mentioned that both Tibbs and Spenner were playing early Wal basses in their Roxy periods too?

Story of JG's custom P Bass here... http://walbasshistory.blogspot.co.uk/2016/04/wal-basses-early-years-over-last-half.html

Story of JG's JG series Wal bass here... http://walbasshistory.blogspot.co.uk/2016/08/jg-bass-special-pt-2-tale-of-two-basses.html

Gary Tibbs' JG series Wal bass here... http://walbasshistory.blogspot.co.uk/2016/09/jg-special-pt-4b-gallery-2-jg-basses.html

Ian Waller. Didn't he play bass on the first couple solo Rod Stewart albums? I loved Stewart/ Faces back in the early '70's. Saw the Faces twice. Great live band. Second time had an Asian guy on bass bouncing all over the stage. Rory Gallagher was the opening act. Amasing!

[quote name='Yank' timestamp='1481973287' post='3196662']
Ian Waller. Didn't he play bass on the first couple solo Rod Stewart albums? I loved Stewart/ Faces back in the early '70's. Saw the Faces twice. Great live band. Second time had an Asian guy on bass bouncing all over the stage. Rory Gallagher was the opening act. Amasing!
[/quote]

Think you're thinking of Mick Waller on drums... weren't Ronnie and Ronnie doing bass duties on those early albums?

Rod 'n' Rory... that's one heck of a lineup!!!!!!!!

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1482089172' post='3197563']
A bass will never give you tone. You can EQ sound or use an effect ( gain, compression,boost).

Tone comes from your fingers, that's where you develop your tone.

Blue
[/quote]

This +1000, and that is why every time you recognise a Precision, a Wal, a StingRay or a Rick on a recording, this only means that the bass player has looked up the sound on Wikipedia, and has spent years trying to develop his fingers so the sound can be achieved at one point in time.
Hard work, I tell ya!
:D :P ;)

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1482090670' post='3197583']
This +1000, and that is why every time you recognise a Precision, a Wal, a StingRay or a Rick on a recording, this only means that the bass player has looked up the sound on Wikipedia, and has spent years trying to develop his fingers so the sound can be achieved at one point in time.
Hard work, I tell ya!
:D :P ;)
[/quote]So if I picked up Chris Squire's Rick, plugged into his effects and amps, I wouldn't sound at all like him?

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1482089172' post='3197563']
A bass will never give you tone. You can EQ sound or use an effect ( gain, compression,boost).

Tone comes from your fingers, that's where you develop your tone.

Blue
[/quote]

Hey Blue. I have to disagree here, I think different basses have a baked in tone, what you do with that tone comes from the fingers.

Edited by interpol52

[quote name='interpol52' timestamp='1482095381' post='3197640']
Hey Blue. I have to disagree here, I think [i]different basses have a baked in tone, what you do with that tone comes from the fingers[/i].
[/quote]

This ^^^^

Anything else is simply reductive thinking. Any complex system is by nature... well... complex and affected by different elements, albeit that some will have a more dominant effect than others...

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1482091534' post='3197593']
So if I picked up Chris Squire's Rick, plugged into his effects and amps, I wouldn't sound at all like him?
[/quote]

I have no firm grasp on what you mean with that question, but do see several possibilities as to how to understand it.

What I can tell you though is that I reacted ironically/sarcastically to Blue's claim, as that claim is utter nonsense. Sometimes I'm kinder than this, but sometimes one needs to be very clear (though, unwillingly, I may actually have been unclear, Idunno).

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1482099280' post='3197684']
I have no firm grasp on what you mean with that question, but do see several possibilities as to how to understand it.

What I can tell you though is that I reacted ironically/sarcastically to Blue's claim, as that claim is utter nonsense. Sometimes I'm kinder than this, but sometimes one needs to be very clear (though, unwillingly, I may actually have been unclear, Idunno).
[/quote]Bollox, I missed the irony :unsure:

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1482100047' post='3197691']
Bollox, I missed the irony :unsure:
[/quote]

So one thing is clear: when I'm being very clear I'm being very unclear.
At least I'm glad we got that one uncleared up! :)
;)

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='interpol52' timestamp='1482095381' post='3197640']

Hey Blue. I have to disagree here, I think different basses have a baked in tone, what you do with that tone comes from the fingers.
[/quote]

We'll you have a point, to a degree. I gig around 9 different basses, the only one with a distinct sound of it's own is my German made Hofner Club bass.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1482116379' post='3197781']

We'll you have a point, to a degree. I gig around 9 different basses, the only one with a distinct sound of it's own is my German made Hofner Club bass.

Blue
[/quote]

That's surprising to hear, Blue. All the basses I've owned/played seem to have very different natural sounds and characteristics. I currently use a Warwick Dolphin and a Yamaha RBX and theyre so different that they end up getting used for seperate genres of music.

Hate to disagree but I have recordings of me on a travis bean, a 4001 stereo, a weird prototype epiphone and of course a precision and in one case a Jazz..

Some recorded direct, others through an assortment of amps.

All sounds like me. I think what Blue SHOULD have said was that whilst basses may vary in tonal potential, the player will always put his mark on the sound.
Not necessarily the tone as such, but very much what is played.

When we had the cab and the amp shoot outs at the SE bass bash, same amp for each cab and all amps set at noon, with one player demoing the lot they all sounded more similar than different.

There were amps and cabs that I wouldn't have looked at twice (going on reviews of others) that sounded pretty good to my ears. In a band setting the differences would have been even less noticeable.

OK, everyone will EQ differently and have different sounding fingers, but the most important difference between all of us is [i]what[/i] we play and [i]how[/i] we play it.

I've been told I make all of my gear sound like me. Even though I think each bass is different, to the others they're not.

To anyone looking at a oil painting, it doesn't matter what paint or brushes the artist used.