Why become a member? ×

Upgrade dillema

sammybee

I recently added/upgraded my 75 RI Jazz to sport a J-Retro, wanting to add a MM type sound to my arsenal.

Boy was I disappointed. It just seems too much, like adding nitrous oxide to a moped.

It's not my only active bass, I have a stingray and used to own a MM Jazz. Love the stingray sound (wasnt so keen on the Jap MM).

Am I the only one who thinks the J-Retro sound is just too OTT? Should I persevere with it? At least it's an easily reversible upgrade.

Opinions?

As a fellow J-retro user ....

1. You don't have to use all the knobs travel. :-) I set mine to be as close to the passive tone as possible and then move incrementally from there...
2. It's never going to sound like a stingray..
3. Might be worth playing the trim settings on the preamp itself...

But I agree that you need to be careful with it...

Oh I dont have everything cranked up - like you it's close to flat, with just a tiny touch of bass and treble boost. It still sounds like it will blow the doors off.
I'll take a look at the trim settings on the preamp.

I really want to like it, but initial impressions aren't great. Whereas my stingray seems to flatter my poor playing - and make it sound good, the J-Retro seems to magnify all the bits I dont like!

[quote name='sammybee' timestamp='1481807614' post='3195304']
. . . my stingray seems to flatter my poor playing - and make it sound good, the J-Retro seems to magnify all the bits I dont like!
[/quote]

I've had this several times in the last 15 years. Buy a better link in the chain and the "issues" in the other links are exposed.

After decades feeling good about my playing I had a big wake up call when I bought my first Thunderfunk amp, and another when I bought my first Bergantino cabs. I almost felt like a beginner again!

I've just bought a high quality Jazz which, again, is highlighting some left hand "problems".

If you stick with the J retro and work on your technique you will be a better player.

[quote name='sammybee' timestamp='1481795569' post='3195153']
I recently added/upgraded my 75 RI Jazz to sport a J-Retro, wanting to add a MM type sound to my arsenal.

Boy was I disappointed. It just seems too much, like adding nitrous oxide to a moped.

It's not my only active bass, I have a stingray and used to own a MM Jazz. Love the stingray sound (wasnt so keen on the Jap MM).

Am I the only one who thinks the J-Retro sound is just too OTT? Should I persevere with it? At least it's an easily reversible upgrade.

Opinions?
[/quote]

what's OTT about it?
It can sound pretty much like anything you want to. Like with most preamps, a little boost/cut goes a long way.

I for one am not overly keen on the East preamps, despite widespread praise. I found them always a bit noisy. Then again, my set up is very sensitive to noise - can't stand non-shielded Laklands, for example (not even USA ones). I prefer the Bartolini or Glockenlang preamps. So maybe it's just not for you. The boost-only bass is a usual mistake - turn it down all the way to start with. I find East preamps work better with very dull-sounding basses. Your 75 jazz shouldn't be. It will never make any MM sounds, regardless.

The bass is boost only on a J retro (the treble and mid are boost and cut). Turn it all the way anti-clockwise to turn the bass boost off. I tend to use the bass control sparingly.

My preferred tone is to turn the low mid up full (bottom control on the mid boost turned all the way anti-clockwise) and the mid volume level up full. This gives me a clear, punchy and articulate sound, with a good bottom end.

Frankly you can get any sound you want from a a Jazz and a J retro. You just need to experiment a bit.

Edited by gjones

I really don't like the J-Retro circuits either. I've bought a few basses that came with J-Retros fitted and I've removed each one pretty quickly.

I always find them too over the top. To me a good onboard circuit should be genuinely usable. I want to be able to use the full travel of a control to subtly adjust my tone. With the J-Retro I have to be so careful because the level of boost and cut is so extreme. Twist one a bit too far live and it can be way too excessive.

I also find them too 'active' and a bit artificial sounding and not as 'organic' as some other pre-amps out there.

I guess if you want to sit at home and use the pre-amp to set up a core tone that you're going to use live and not adjust it then it could work.

Of course - this is just me, I know lots of people love them, lol

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1482047169' post='3197120']
Not knowingly tried J Retro but I do love the Audere preamp. One of the few cut/boost circuits where the maximum travel on the controls were still in musical usable tone territory. But never lacking or too tame either.
[/quote]

I guess that's there are so many different products in the market, as different people prefer different things. I had an Audere and I just did not like it and ended up being replaced by a J-Retro. I have two J-Retros and a U-Retro (same thing, just flexible links to fit in other basses not just Jazz)... and I love them. Yeah, at maximum travel you have quite a dramatic boost/cut... but you don't need to turn the knob to max, do you? ;)