Why become a member? ×

Journey - 80's bass sound

molan

Ok, so this is not exactly either my favourite song ever or my favourite bass sound but I heard this on the radio (good old 'breakfast with Alice') and wondered how they got that distinctive bass sound that appears higher in the mix every now and then?

I found this about Ross Valory who's their main bass man:

"Ross Lamont Valory (born February 2, 1949 in San Francisco, California) is Journey's noted bass player. Along with Neal Schon, he is the only original member of the band still performing with the group. Aside from his termination from the group during the "Raised on Radio" album sessions (and subsequent tour) in 1986, Ross has played on all of Journey's albums. He was replaced on bass in the studio by Bob Glaub and for the "Raised on Radio" tour by famed American Idol judge Randy Jackson.

In a band that creates its vibe with haunting bass lines and bass and chord contrasts, he plays an essential role. One of the innovations that Ross Valory uses (it is not known if he is the inventor) is to string a four-string bass with the bottom four strings of a 5-string set. Thus, instead of the usual 4-string arrangement--E-A-D-G--his bass is strung as B-E-A-D. This adds the five string depth to the songs, while allowing the quick fingering of a four-string neck."

Edited by molan

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='306849' date='Oct 15 2008, 09:07 AM']I just listened to it on YouTube.... what a dreadful song :)[/quote]

Woah... hold on a second! :huh: :huh: :huh:

Sounds like someone's stopped believing. Take that back sir!

I'll not stand for any bad-mouthing of the mighty Journey on here or anywhere...

As for the bass sound, perhaps you just need to pray to the gods of AOR, so that they might bless you with a bass sound half as astounding as Ross Valory's...

[quote name='geilerbass' post='306859' date='Oct 15 2008, 09:35 AM']Woah... hold on a second! :huh: :huh: :huh:

Sounds like someone's stopped believing. Take that back sir!

I'll not stand for any bad-mouthing of the mighty Journey on here or anywhere...

As for the bass sound, perhaps you just need to pray to the gods of AOR, so that they might bless you with a bass sound half as astounding as Ross Valory's...[/quote]

Sigh!! I bet you think Guns N Roses are good too? :)

(Clue: they're not!)

Edited by thepurpleblob

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='306862' date='Oct 15 2008, 09:38 AM']Sigh!! I bet you think Guns N Roses are good too? :huh:

(Clue: they're not!)[/quote]

As it happens I do like Duff's bass sound - again, not anything I'd use personally but I like on a lot of Use Your Illusion :)

Intro to You Could Be Mine is a favourite. . .

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='306849' date='Oct 15 2008, 09:07 AM']I just listened to it on YouTube.... what a dreadful song :huh:

New strings every 10 minutes? The intro and chorus bits he's playing relatively high and he's quite high in the mix. The guitars are actually quite restrained for this sort of thing.[/quote]

Link please?
I can't find it :)

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='306875' date='Oct 15 2008, 09:50 AM'][url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=OGzwNdTVHJo"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=OGzwNdTVHJo[/url][/quote]

Ah, silly me! I was looking for a track called "Breakfast with Alice" :)

Lots of 2k in the EQ :huh: a touch of flanger, chorus or phaser ...

I like that sound ...

[quote name='OldGit' post='306886' date='Oct 15 2008, 10:00 AM']Ah, silly me! I was looking for a track called "Breakfast with Alice" :)[/quote]

Sorry that was my fault - Planet Rock's breakfast DJ is Alice Cooper & his show is called "Breakfast with Alice".

To be honest he gets on my tits & is seriously unfunny, some of his supposed jokes & puns are awful but he plays some good stuff at times, bit repetitive & obvious choices but better than Capital or Radio 1!

Woke up to SAHB's Faith Healer the other day, now there's a great lead guitar sound, I love Zal Cleminson's SG tone from that era :huh:

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='306849' date='Oct 15 2008, 09:07 AM']I just listened to it on YouTube.... what a dreadful song :)[/quote]

People in WMCs up and down the land will be tutting in outrage... I think it's decent pop-rock or whatever you want to call it. It's not something I listened to at the time really.

[quote name='Adrenochrome' post='306903' date='Oct 15 2008, 10:20 AM']People in WMCs up and down the land will be tutting in outrage... I think it's decent pop-rock or whatever you want to call it. It's not something I listened to at the time really.[/quote]

[url="http://www.wmc.org.uk/"]Wales Millenium Centre[/url]? Somehow, I don't think they'd like it either!

[quote name='molan' post='306895' date='Oct 15 2008, 10:13 AM']Sorry that was my fault - Planet Rock's breakfast DJ is Alice Cooper & his show is called "Breakfast with Alice".

To be honest he gets on my tits & is seriously unfunny, some of his supposed jokes & puns are awful but he plays some good stuff at times, bit repetitive & obvious choices but better than Capital or Radio 1!

Woke up to SAHB's Faith Healer the other day, now there's a great lead guitar sound, I love Zal Cleminson's SG tone from that era :)[/quote]

Can't be doing with music radio first thing ... have to have Radio 4 tell me whats going on in the world ..

OT ......
Faith Healer's brilliant.

Old Grey Whistle Test live version - excellent stage show :huh:
I'm off to blast that through the house immediately :huh:

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='306910' date='Oct 15 2008, 10:27 AM'][url="http://www.wmc.org.uk/"]Wales Millenium Centre[/url]? Somehow, I don't think they'd like it either![/quote]

Played there ... twice :) No Journey in the set though ..

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='molan' post='306881' date='Oct 15 2008, 09:55 AM']Studio version here:

[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=OGzwNdTVHJo"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=OGzwNdTVHJo[/url]

Bass fill with that sound I was on about around 1:20 & then through chorus :)[/quote]

There you go. That's it right there.

Seriously, you've got to be dead inside to not love that tune.

Edited by geilerbass

People who slag off bands like these should try and play them as well.I would rather watch a bunch of proggers/stadium bands do decent lovey dovey songs in a rock bad shirt mellodrama than watch some awful "modern" 25 something pastiche punk/ska band who dont know get or barely play what the f*** they think they are on about.(Most of them seem to work for banks or recruitment really).This is not my era but my mate played it one night and i loved it! Wish i could do a song like that.As for the sound.Mate just play through a huge stack with a boss chorus on and fiddle with your knobs,go for treble and feel like you want to play it.If you like a song you will play it well eventually.

Edited by YouMa

There's NOWT wrong with classic era Journey.... great songs and supreme musicianship.

You won't find a better, more soulful rock singer than Steve Perry, the guitarist Neal Schon is one of the all-time greats and there's not a drummer in the land that knows his chops who doesn't revere Steve Smith....

Through the years Ross mainly played a P-bass with J neck... then an Ovation Magnum...followed by a Steinberger and then a Greg Curbow custom. More recently he has taken to playing a Stingray....

The great thing about Ross tone-wise was that he found his niche within the EQ spectrum of the band. He never got lost in the bass drum, the keys or the guitar tone...
This track was likely played on the Ovation Magnum, with a favoured rear pickup and a touch of chorus. EQ set to boost on the mids....