Why become a member? ×

Relative positions of the MM pickup in MusicMan basses

Dood

I'm sure there was a thread, or at least a discussion in a thread somewhere about the relative positioning across MM bass models of the single pickup.

Now, logic would tell me that they are all in the same place, but, MM experts, are they?

This is for a bit of a project idea and am just gathering 'data' as it were.

As far as I know, apart from the double pickup Bongo and 25th/Reflex HSS (not the H or HH), ALL Musicman basses in 4 and 5 string (and 6 if you include the Bongo H) that have a humbucker at the rear near the bridge have the classic Musicman humbucker in the Musicman sweetspot. That includes the single pickup Bongo. The only one I cannot be 100% certain on is the Sabre but I'm sure it has the same position.

Obviously anything like the Big Al SSS 4 and 5 string don't have the usual humbucker, so it does not apply.

Edited by Musicman20

The HH/HS versions do not have the rear pickup in the same "sweet spot" location and whilst they sound good, to me they don't sound quite like a Stingray. Same with Fender PJ models, P pickup is lightly moved forward making them a little darker. The HS I had sounded a little more tinny on back pickup, it never sounded as good as my good old 4 string H.

[quote name='HazBeen' timestamp='1481713021' post='3194420']
The HH/HS versions do not have the rear pickup in the same "sweet spot" location and whilst they sound good, to me they don't sound quite like a Stingray. Same with Fender PJ models, P pickup is lightly moved forward making them a little darker. The HS I had sounded a little more tinny on back pickup, it never sounded as good as my good old 4 string H.
[/quote]

Sorry, this is incorrect. The Sterling/Stingray/Reflex HH and HS in 4 and 5 string have the traditional H in exactly the same spot. It is only the Bongo HH and HS that is different, (and as noted about, the 25th Anniversary HSS/Reflex HSS).

Excellent, thank you everyone. The next question I suppose is to ask where the pickup poles are! With reference to the 12th fret I suppose would be the best 'zero' point. I've a rough measurement of 35.5cm to the centre of the pole piece for the front coil and 38mm to the centre of the rear. Agreed?

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1481717271' post='3194471']

Sorry, this is incorrect. The Sterling/Stingray/Reflex HH and HS in 4 and 5 string have the traditional H in exactly the same spot. It is only the Bongo HH and HS that is different, (and as noted about, the 25th Anniversary HSS/Reflex HSS).
[/quote]

I cannot measure it as I have zero Rays nowadays, so will take your word for it.

[quote name='Treb' timestamp='1481715429' post='3194456']
Sterling 4H inside (compensated) nut to front of pickup 74.8mm (to rear of pickup 79.7mm). All measurements +/- 1mm.
[/quote]

There's a whiff of spinal tap's stonehenge about those measurements

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1481733173' post='3194668']
There's some info in this thread

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/295364-the-perfect-jazzmm-tone-in-one-instrumentis-there-such-a-bass/page__st__30"]http://basschat.co.u...ss/page__st__30[/url]
[/quote]

You're a star! Yes, just what I need!

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1481743203' post='3194822']

They make a lot more sense in imperial - US basses presumably designed and built to imperial measurement standard!
[/quote]

They would make a lot more sense in Lilliput.