Why become a member? ×

Aaargh!! Sudden bizarre fretbuzz issues!

Funky Dunky

Just pulled my JB out of its case for a play and if I fret any note on the E string, anywhere on the neck, it buzzes badly. The open string is fine, the string tension is fine but fretting any note is just bzzzz central.

I last played the bass three days ago, it was perfect, made no adjustments, put it back in its case immediately and haven't touched it since.

Any ideas as to how/why this has happened and how to fix it? I reckon raising the saddle a touch might help but the action is still perfect and this problem didn't exist the other day. Help!

Edited by Funky Dunky

Where has the bass been? In car overnight, colder room, warmer room etc, anywhere different to usual? Climate changes can cause issues especially if your bass is adjusted to a super low action. I just use 3.5mm (or more) action at 12th fret, cures 99% of issues dead :gas:

Edited by 3below

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1480196419' post='3182502']
Where has the bass been? In car overnight, colder room, warmer room etc, anywhere different to usual? Climate changes can cause issues especially if your bass is adjusted to a super low action. I just use 3.5mm (or more) action at 12th fret, cures 99% of issues dead :gas:
[/quote]

It's been in a hard case in a living room with a comfortable temperature. The action is 3.5mm precisely.

My guess would be the seasonal temperature change. Winter is here and even if it's in a case, in a house, it can still be affected.
If it were mine, I'd put a touch more relief in the neck as described above, and perhaps remember to turn the truss rod back the other way six months from now.

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1480196419' post='3182502']
[/quote]

3.5mm ??? You could get an iPhone in there. Each to their own I guess.