Why become a member? ×

Warwick streamer advice please

spencer.b

[quote name='jude_b' timestamp='1480766731' post='3186977']
I would definitely try before buying when stood up. They are lovely sounding basses, but I've never been able to get on with the balance when standing. The first fret has always felt too 'far away'.
[/quote]

A Streamer is no different to most other bass guitars when it comes to balance and first fret position. A Thumb on the other hand is a different animal all together...

I had a streamer LX bolt on, PJ, German made. Don't know if it was a special edition but it was well kitted out with bell brass frets and gold hardware. The maple body looked stunning and the neck felt amazing but there was just something not quite right for me and I lusted after a jazz bass instead. Kicking myself now for letting it go, wish I'd persevered until the price went up at least! Great basses, incredibly well made and easy to adjust, but if you're parting with a lot of money for one I'd recommend trying through your own kit first.

• 5 months later...

[quote name='darkandrew' timestamp='1479843035' post='3179752']
I have a Streamer Stage 1 (aka SS1) which means that it is of neck-through construction (that's the "Stage" bit) and has a PJ pickup configuration (that's the "1"). The standard Streamer (ie. NOT the Streamer Stage) has a bolt-on neck and the SS2 has a JJ pickup configuration (and different body wood?).
[/quote]

That's very helpful.
So Stage = neck through
LX and standard versions are bolt on necks

What about "NT"?

Any ideas on the difference between "NT", "LX", and "standard"?

NT= Neck through.

Standard versions were made in Germany but were the precursor to the Rockbass editions (at least for the Streamer STD). The body was made from what Warwick called 'Carolena' but everyone else calls pine. Standards were bolt on necks. Underrated for what they were but IME need a few modifications to get the best outof them as the ship with 25k pots which strangles the sound. Fitting 250k/500k pots is an easy way to open them up, but a decent preamp makes a big difference.

Edited by Jakester

[quote name='Jakester' timestamp='1494238736' post='3294154']
NT= Neck through.

Standard versions were made in Germany but were the precursor to the Rockbass editions (at least for the Streamer STD). The body was made from what Warwick called 'Carolena' but everyone else calls pine. Standards were bolt on necks. Underrated for what they were but IME need a few modifications to get the best outof them as the ship with 25k pots which strangles the sound. Fitting 250k/500k pots is an easy way to open them up, but a decent preamp makes a big difference.
[/quote]

Cheers for that! Ok so NT is "neck through" (makes sense!) and "Stage" is something completely different, then, right?!

Just acquired a Warwick Rockbass Streamer 5 and already noted the difference in volume output on this as compared to my Sandberg 4 string on the same amp settings. I'd put that down to the MEC vintage pickups (passive) as compared to the Delano PUPs on the Sandberg (comparing use in passive mode) - but I think you may have very helpfully hit the nail on the head regarding the 25k pots...let me see if I can get some 250k/500k pots (any recommendations as to where from?) as you suggest and this will hopefully address this volume point. (I'm separately looking into getting a decent preamp :))

One thing that Warwick seems to do differently (and so right!) is having a height adjustable nut as well as bridge piece which should allow for a straighter / less curved neck and a very low action - looking forward to getting it set up and I'll see if my guy at Grizzly Guitars in Hackney can replace the pots at the same time.

Indeed - and so the suggestion is that Warwick forgot to spec the correct pots when the STD was made passive, hence the 25k pots being in there.

Edit: your guitar guy should be able to get you some as they're a standard part.

They made a noticeable difference, though it was still a lowish output.

Edited by Jakester

Cheers both.

I presume if I go for 500k that will be better than 250k in terms of greater output?

Is it worth also thinking about replacing the MEC vintage PUPS with e.g. Seymour Duncans (or Delano or ANother PUP?)...my only concern is that would they fit in the space provided and not look out of place?

I think the "default" for use with humbuckers is 500k, but I can't remember what I put in mine.

I think you'll struggle to find a replacement pickup - I couldn't find one that would drop straight in. I found suggestions online that Bartolini did one but I couldn't find it.

You could get a custom pup made but that's ££.

The standard pup sounds good IMO, just needs setting free!

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1494257167' post='3294408']
Cheers both.

I presume if I go for 500k that will be better than 250k in terms of greater output?

Is it worth also thinking about replacing the MEC vintage PUPS with e.g. Seymour Duncans (or Delano or ANother PUP?)...my only concern is that would they fit in the space provided and not look out of place?
[/quote]

In most cases using a 500k pot rather than 250k makes the bass sound more clanging, and boosts the treble. Others here will be able to explain the reasons.

As for "would I be better to change the pups?" That all depends on the bass you have and what you want to achieve. I have 4 Warwick. All have standard pups and electronics, and love them as they are, but I'm not you.

If your Rockbass has the humbuckers, then I did have a bass with these. I have to say I wasn't over impressed.

I would buy a German Warwick every time over a Rockbass. They are far better and IMHO the price of Rockbasses are stupidly high compared to the German ones: it makes no sense.

Edited by Grangur

I have been a Warwick player for over 10 years - having owned a rock ass streamer, lx 5, stage 1 (both 4 & 5 string versions) and now the proud owner we of a stage 2 5 string + PNUT signature bass I can honestly say there is a huge difference in quality between them.

The ss2 and pnut are too notch on all fronts - both very different basses but incredible tones and playability. The LX range I owned was great with a lovely tone but still noticeably different.

If you look at the link in my signature to my playing, you will find several examples of each of the basses ive mentioned here, and my YouTube channel has even more.

I'd suggest find one you like the sound of first, then go and play a couple and see what you like.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1494265463' post='3294527']
I would buy a German Warwick every time over a Rockbass. They are far better and IMHO the price of Rockbasses are stupidly high compared to the German ones: it makes no sense.
[/quote]

I didn't quite follow this, my thoughts were the opposite way around if anything on price point:[list]
[*]My entry level Rockbass (made in China) Streamer Standard passive 5 was £565 ;
[*]The GPS (German Pro Series - German & Chinese) Streamer CV 5 (passive) is typcially £1,500. For 3 times the price you get a Swamp Ash instead of a Carolena (aka Pine!) body, better MEC PUPS and an extra tone control (and they also include a gig bag);
[*]The German (only) Warwicks are like £4,000+ (and I'm not even sure that they do a passive model these days)....
[/list]
So not sure why you think the Rockbass is not a reasonably priced entry level piece of kit, and a good starting point to the world of Warwick basses, in comparison to the price of the GPS and German Warwicks? It's clearly not going to be in the same league as the GPS or German Warwicks, I get that, but you pays your money... :)

Edited by Al Krow

[quote name='lukeward2004' timestamp='1494270413' post='3294601']
If you look at the link in my signature to my playing, you will find several examples of each of the basses ive mentioned here, and my YouTube channel has even more.
[/quote]

Thanks for uploading those various clips and good seeing you in action.

True, I was actually thinking of comparing a German Corvette compared to a Rockbass. I was also forgetting you have a 5.

My bad. :(

Thinking about this... I've had 2 passive Warwicks. Both with MEC pups. One was a German Corvette. I wasn't impressed and sold it. The other was a Rockbass with humbucker looking pups. The output was very poor. I fitted a Rockbass preamp i had. It improved a bit, but i still didn't get much out of it. I sold that too.

Edited by Grangur

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1494307357' post='3294781']
True, I was actually thinking of comparing a German Corvette compared to a Rockbass. I was also forgetting you have a 5.

My bad. :(

Thinking about this... I've had 2 passive Warwicks. Both with MEC pups. One was a German Corvette. I wasn't impressed and sold it. The other was a Rockbass with humbucker looking pups. The output was very poor. I fitted a Rockbass preamp i had. It improved a bit, but i still didn't get much out of it. I sold that too.
[/quote]

Thanks for clearing up on the pricing. Seems there is a general consensus that the MEC humbuckers aren't delivering the goods...Leon at Grizzly Guitars has informed me that new pots are £6.20 each (plus fitting) so I think uprating from 25k to 250k or 500k (and sounding like the latter may be the more necessary option here?!) is going to be an inexpensive modification.

I've also got the perfect excuse to think about getting a preamp (with DI) that is going to deliver a warm tubey tone...was leaning towards the Darkglass Vintage Deluxe or Ultra but maybe need something less gritty than this e.g. Sansamp VT Bass DI if I'm looking for warm tubey rather than growl / dirt...

I should just clarify when I said preamp I meant an onboard one to turn the bass active. In my case I fitted a Glockenklang which was ideal as it mirrored the functions of an active Streamer, but (provided you can get it to fit) any onboard pre would do.

[quote name='Jakester' timestamp='1494321321' post='3294888']
I should just clarify when I said preamp I meant an onboard one to turn the bass active. In my case I fitted a Glockenklang which was ideal as it mirrored the functions of an active Streamer, but (provided you can get it to fit) any onboard pre would do.
[/quote]

Hah...we're about to wander into the ol' passive vs active debate! :) My preference is generally for passive, although I know Warwick is much more famous for being an active bass as part of [i]that[/i] Warwick sound.

A couple of the factors in my thinking here is the more "natural" tone of the bass which comes through on a passive and the view that the quality of the electronics in a dedicated quality preamp is going to trump (hopefully not in a Donald manner :)) the equivalent more modest and cheaper circuitry of an onboard preamp?

Edited by Al Krow

Hey that is a very kind offer Mr G - I'd love to take you up on it and to chew the cud on bass stuff and a life in music over a pint of beer! Let's definitely fix something up (and we can take offline - unless you want to make this into a broader Warwick bass guitar owners meet up? :))

I continue to be amazed by the generosity of spirit and time on this forum shown by its members.

AK

[quote name='Jakester' timestamp='1494264638' post='3294521']
I think the "default" for use with humbuckers is 500k...
[/quote]

Yup - Leon at Grizzly Guitars has just confirmed that is correct. He's getting a couple of 500k pots in for me...

[quote name='lukeward2004' timestamp='1494353352' post='3295297']
Preamp wise, I've never had any issues with the stock MEC preamp but I have taken a shining towards the Aguilar obp 3 - dammit now I have to look at getting one on my ss2
[/quote]

Hah! - I'm just envious that you have an ss2 (and a 5 string to boot!) :)

Edited by Al Krow

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1494340331' post='3295113']
Al Krow, I don't know what experience you have of "that Warwick sound" in other Warwicks, but if you'd like to try some out I'm not far from East London.
[/quote]

Well I have just had the privelege of spending two very enjoyable hours with Grangur, who was in the vicinity and popped over, and 4 of his collection of Warwick (German made) basses. As I mentioned earlier, I continue to be amazed by the generosity of time and spirit of my fellow BCs. He did get a slice of chocolate cake and a cup of tea for his trouble :)

We played everything through my Markbass amp (rather than my Mesa M6 which has a more "creamy" sound) and set the dials pretty flat to ensure that we were hearing the basses rather than any coloration from the amp.

The really bad news is that having experienced the real quality of German Warwicks it's going to be hard to settle back to "cheap plonk"! The difference in tonal quality between my Rockbass and his Streamer Stage1 (which was the stand out bass of the four, for me) was huge. In comparison to the SS1's immediate growl and presence, which straight away got my attention, the greater articulation and the way the SS1 [i]sang, [/i]my Rockbass simply came across as mushy. And changing the pots to 500k, rather than the current underpowered 25k, will just mean (as well as invalidating the warranty) it is more loudly mushy. I also love the fact that his older model Warwick had active / passive options (as does my Sandberg TM4), rather than being purely active or purely passive which a lot of the more recent Warwick models are.

The bass itself was lovely in terms of look and feel.

The good news is that I am still within the 30 day return period, so hopefully I can get a full refund on my Rockbass, if I do decide to return it. But I'm glad I bought the Rockbass, as it has provided an introduction to the world of Warwicks: it is a very playable 5 string and, indeed, I have found myself thinking 'wow I'm actually finding this 5 string as comfortable or possibly more so than my 4 string Sandberg', and the Just a Nut mechanism means that the action can be set very low without string buzz. All of which, before today's visit, meant that I was thinking this bass was going to be a keeper. Well [i]a[/i] 5 string Warwick certainly is going to be.

Just not this one.

Edited by Al Krow