Why become a member? ×

Warwick streamer advice please

spencer.b

Cheers Cuzzie. Contacted Gear4Music and they have arranged for collection on Thursday - they do provide a really good service IMHO and their willingness to accept returns within 30 days "no questions asked" provided that the thing is still in new condition really does provide quite a lot of assurance.

OK so if anyone wants to sell me a used Warwick (German made) Streamer Stage 1 5 string or CV5, in good condition, then please get in touch!

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]So I now need to get myself a 5 string to to replace the about to be returned Carolena Rockbass...and could be a while until a decent used Streamer Stage 1 or CV5 turns up?[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I popped into Wunjo bass in Denmark St this afternoon (Tom who manages the place is a really good guy) to try out a few of their Warwicks (and also Ibanez) basses. I actually quite liked the top-of-the-range-Rockbass [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]in stock, the [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Streamer NT 5: this is Alder not Carolena (pine) and has active MEC jazz PUPs rather than the passive PUPs on the Carolena and it didn't come across as mushy (whereas, interestingly, the Rockbass Corvette model in the store with passive MECs also came across as quite mushy). [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The NT model new is around £900 i.e. 60% more than the £565 Rockbass standard and that price difference came through in the quality ("you pays your money", right?)[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Kinda feeling that this may be quite a good compromise bass and I will just need to bite the bullet and get off from my "I prefer passive basses" high horse...[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Views from my fellow BCs very welcome![/font][/color]

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1495001400' post='3300244']
I think for that money,or just a wee bit more, you will find a good earlier SS1
[/quote]

That's good advice for sure, let's see if I can flush a decent one out of the woodwork that is looking for a new home over the next month (and not Prowla's!)

[quote name='lukeward2004' timestamp='1494353352' post='3295297']
Preamp wise, I've never had any issues with the stock MEC preamp but I have taken a shining towards the Aguilar obp 3 - dammit now I have to look at getting one on my ss2
[/quote]

I'm seeing quite a bit of love for these Aguilar OBP 3s recently. What's the deal with these things? Are you still planning on swapping it out into your SS2? (and something for you to think about, too, Prowla...at this rate, I'll be buying your Streamer yet! :))

Edited by Al Krow

I have to say for that kind of money I would be looking for a German made one. I gig a Streamer Stage 2 (91) and its brilliant. I use an old Thumb as well. But to answer your question, yes I love the neck through basses but I used to gig FNA Jazzman and that was a great bass but I replaced it with the SS2. I would advise buy used and you will get so much more for your money than new.

[quote name='Cuzzie' timestamp='1494915806' post='3299460']
Al

You know my philosophy

If you can go for the best quality there is that suits you.
[/quote]

Thank you. You just helped me make up my mind on a MiM jazz on Evilbay. It's almost new and a good price, but I don't need it.

Edited by Grangur

[quote name='bassbora' timestamp='1495013122' post='3300371']
I have to say for that kind of money I would be looking for a German made one. I gig a Streamer Stage 2 (91) and its brilliant. I use an old Thumb as well. But to answer your question, yes I love the neck through basses but I used to gig FNA Jazzman and that was a great bass but I replaced it with the SS2. I would advise buy used and you will get so much more for your money than new.
[/quote]

That obviously makes a ton of sense...my only issue is finding one in very good condition, let's wait and see.

If I can't get anything decent second hand in the next month, let's say I went for the new alder body neck-through Rockbass Streamer 5 and swapped in an Aguilar OBP 3 pick up and a brass just a nut III and I can also get the frets smoothed as part of the set up (i.e. c. £250 of upgrades). I think I would then have something that is both better and still quite a bit cheaper than the GPS Streamer S1 and will look good, or am I missing something? I appreciate that its resale value won't hold up at all in the same way that a second hand German Warwick will, but this is a bass for me to play live and one that I intend to be a keeper for many years rather than worrying too much at this stage (excuse the pun) about its resale value.

What more would a second hand German Warwick be providing? I'm guessing better PUPs and (possibly) better quality woods?

What do you all think?

Edited by Al Krow

I think you have answered the question yourself what you would get from it. You tried a German made one the other day and you seem smitten. I personally love my Warwicks and have done for over 20 years. Warwicks seem to get so many different responses from people and many seem to really dislike them. I also saw you were asking about Spector vs Warwick. It is the same you seem to have made up your mind.

I have not looked at any new models for years. My neck profile preference is the thin one from the late '80s and early '90s. You might have a different view on that. I dont know what the model is you are talking about but the price was £900 (is that correct?). You are thinking about upgrading for £250. For that kind of money you could be looking for a second hand SS1 I think. They might go for a little bit more £1200 - £1500). So why not save/stretch to that since you say this will be your gigging bass and a keeper. Resale value of used Warwicks is really low so that is no different to this new one. You wont make any money on them (at least not at the moment).

Why dont you try the Warwick forum or facebook groups and see what you can find. Often people are not thinking about selling until someone is looking for a specific bass/guitar and the one lurking in the background comes forward with the magic from the wardrobe.

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1495010911' post='3300338']
It's not neck through, so I'll pass on that one... :)

But seriously, really looking forward to seeing that restored. Will you be doing the work yourself?
[/quote]
Yes - I put a new set of strings on it and it plays really well; I don't think it needs any adjustment!
I can get the pickup screws and backplate from Warwick.
Then I'll do the wiring and give it a clean and job's a good 'un.

Right - I've ordered the backplate (electronics cover) from Warwick, along with a pre-wired set of pots.
They don't do the correct length pickup screws, so I've ordered a pack of them from ebay.
I've now spent half as much again as the bass cost me.
Next thing is to apply a bit of elbow grease (zero cost!).

[quote name='prowla' timestamp='1495043742' post='3300850']
Right - I've ordered the backplate (electronics cover) from Warwick, along with a pre-wired set of pots.
They don't do the correct length pickup screws, so I've ordered a pack of them from ebay.
I've now spent half as much again as the bass cost me.
Next thing is to apply a bit of elbow grease (zero cost!).
[/quote]

Hey - make sure to do a timelapse video of you refurbishing it, with how it looks and sounds now and how it turns out?!

[quote name='bassbora' timestamp='1495015924' post='3300418']
I dont know what the model is you are talking about but the price was £900 (is that correct?). You are thinking about upgrading for £250. For that kind of money you could be looking for a second hand SS1 I think. They might go for a little bit more £1200 - £1500). So why not save/stretch to that since you say this will be your gigging bass and a keeper.
[/quote]

I think the principle is exactly right. A used SS1 [i]should[/i] be a better bass than a "souped up" Rockbass Streamer NT 5, and I'd be happy to find the £extra to stretch to get one.

But I am a bit pessimistic that there are SS1s with 5 strings (rather than 4 which seem to be a lot more common?) in good condition and in a finish that I'm going to really like, sitting around in homes where they are no longer wanted...but let's see. This is, I suspect, the largest bass market place in the UK (indeed possibly outside the USA) so if a fellow BC doesn't have one or know someone who does, then I think plan B of a souped up RB Streamer NT 5 won't be a bad one.

Until Grangur brings his basses around again that is...

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1495044012' post='3300852']
Hey - make sure to do a timelapse video of you refurbishing it, with how it looks and sounds now and how it turns out?!
[/quote]
That's a thought...
However, at the moment it doesn't sound like anything as the wiring is borked.
I have, however, fitted the 2nd pickup and cleaned it; it looks a heck of a lot more presentable now!
(I was so impressed, I went and cleaned another guitar which has been sitting in my bedroom for many years - a Yamaha FG-180 acoustic.)

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1495049737' post='3300915']

I think the principle is exactly right. A used SS1 [i]should[/i] be a better bass than a "souped up" Rockbass Streamer NT 5, and I'd be happy to find the £extra to stretch to get one.

But I am a bit pessimistic that there are SS1s with 5 strings (rather than 4 which seem to be a lot more common?) in good condition and in a finish that I'm going to really like, sitting around in homes where they are no longer wanted...but let's see. This is, I suspect, the largest bass market place in the UK (indeed possibly outside the USA) so if a fellow BC doesn't have one or know someone who does, then I think plan B of a souped up RB Streamer NT 5 won't be a bad one.

Until Grangur brings his basses around again that is...
[/quote] it's also a marketplace where no one seems to want to buy warwicks! Haven't for years. Try eBay, and eBay.de - I got my '85 thumb bass from Germany within your price range a few years back.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1495090090' post='3301093']
it's also a marketplace where no one seems to want to buy warwicks! Haven't for years. Try eBay, and eBay.de - I got my '85 thumb bass from Germany within your price range a few years back.
[/quote]

+1
I've had little success in selling any good basses on BC Marketplace. The only basses that seem to sell there are Fender & MM.

@LukeFRC and Grangur - thanks for your suggestions.

The evidence, however, seems to point a little to the opposite: type in "Warwick" in the For Sale section and you will see that a lot of basses have sold recently (the NT Streamers don't seem to hang around at all, which is another point in their favour - they are a great looking, sounding and feeling bass!), including the exact model I'm after, albeit not in a colour I'd have gone for, (but each to their own right?):

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/300518-sold-warwick-ss1-5-strings-mint/page__p__3239013__hl__warwick__fromsearch__1#entry3239013

And another SS1 one that I would have gone for, other than it being a broadneck:

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/300031-warwick-streamer-stage-i-5-str/page__p__3232449__hl__warwick__fromsearch__1#entry3232449

I'd defo prefer to buy from a BC if I can (dunno always feels a bit more high risk buying from eBay, particularly if you're buying from abroad from someone unknown to you as, if there are any issues, it's gonna be more difficult to sort out just from a distance / language / legal framework...although maybe eBay / Paypal has all of that covered?)

I have been checking the UK eBay site. Nothing there of interest and had a look on the German site, this morning. One possible bass for the princely sum of Euro 4,200 (!!) - and I'm not paying that for a second hand bass for sure :)

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Original-Warwick-Streamer-Bass-5-Saiter-/232313437619?hash=item3616f5bdb3:m:mY7MUkIIl8sQuPtRgDBQq_g

I'll keep looking...

[quote name='Cuzzie' timestamp='1495045708' post='3300874']
@Grangur
Glad I can help you too!!!
Ask Al how bad I have been for him recently.
Mrs Krow may start blocking me....
[/quote]

I spoke too soon. These basses do exist and people are selling them.

It kinda really helps to have Cuzzie as a personal scout on the lookout whilst he is searching high and low for that next interesting bit of kit to get the [i]perfect[/i] sound (instead of getting down to the boring stuff of spending time actually [i]playing[/i] his basses / improving his bass skills...but that's a whole 'nother debate, right?!) :D :D :D

It doesn't, however, help (and this is where Mrs Krow is going to start blocking him) when he finds a gorgeous Warwick SS2 5 string for sale second hand for more than £3,000 and leaves me with serious medically induced GAS.

Well I'm just back from a round trip to Southend where I managed to pick up two last minute tickets at BELOW face value for Imelda May in concert tonight. Take my mind off Warwicks for an evening at least! :)

Edited by Al Krow

I think I may just have finally found what I'm looking for!

[url="https://www.thomann.de/gb/warwick_gps_corvette_db_5_ash_nt.htm"]https://www.thomann....db_5_ash_nt.htm[/url]

[url="https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/WAR0267/electric-basses/warwick-gps-corvette-bubinga-5-in-natural-transparent-satin"]https://www.anderton...ansparent-satin[/url]

Ok these are not Streamers, but I think the antipathy towards the Corvette "horn" being uncomfortable maybe a bit overstated? - Certainly it wasn't an issue when I tried Grangur's Corvette.

The first of these is: active / passive so best of both worlds on that score and uses decent woods. I'd really like a neck through, if it's available, and this is described as a "NT" but from the pictures it looks like a bolt on neck - so I'm a bit confused on that point?

The second is £200 cheaper and in the budget I had in mind. It's purely active, not neck through, but has a bubinga rather than an ash body, so it's going to be heavier but I'm guessing will deliver more growl and sustain? And this certainly is starting to feel like a better option than a "souped up" Rockbass Streamer NT 5 and coming in at the same price.

Edited by Al Krow

Hmm... they look good.

When I was in Bulgaria at the beginning of May I went to "Music Direction" in Sofia. They have a great selection of brand new Warwicks. I tried a few Pro basses including a $$. I have to say I wasn't impressed. I'd go for any German 200* bass over those ANY day.

But, that's me. you're not me. Why not buy them both. Get them delivered, put them head-2-head and see what you like. If you don't like either, send them both back. It costs you nothing.

Feel guilty about buying and sending back?
Don't.

When the mail-order sellers set about under-cutting and putting the High Street retail shops out of business they took away from us the chance to try stuff in the shop. So now the mail-order shops need to do the "try before you buy". I've bought, and sent back, a good few basses. I don't worry about it. It's all part of the service they need to offer.

I look forward to bringing the Streamer back round to yours for a 3-way comparison :)

Edited by Grangur

I completely agree with what Grangur says about but and then try, as even amongst the same type of model there will be variation.

I have been lucky with some blind buys, but if you can do what is said and have a working capital for a few days which can then be bounced back to you, go for it