Why become a member? ×

I'm in an amplification pickle. Help........

vinorange

It is with desperation that I turn my fellow bass players for advice......I've got myself in an amplification pickle and don't know which way to go.

I love the Eden tone / enhance function but having been let down by their power stages have gone for an Eden Navigator preamp and paired it with an Ecler power amp through a 410 purple chilli 410 neo 1200w cab.
All was ok apart from the Ecler amp being a bit thin until I blew my drivers (fingers point at the Ecler). So I got myself a quick fix Ashdown ABM500 1 x 15 cab to see me through a gig or 2. The neo drivers for the purple chilli are celestion 300w bn-10 300x and are out of stock in the UK and if they were stocked cost £120 each....and then is it only 2 I need or 4......and is the crossover ok.......... The Ashdown cab is not my thing really.

Now I am faced with replacing the Ecler (as it's not good enough for bass, maybe with a Peavey PV1500 or a Crown Xti), and replacing the Ashown cab with a lightweight cab or 2, repairing the 410 maybe (if the drivers come into stock) OR just getting something completely different like a lightweight set up.

I like the clarity of tone that the Eden gives and like a single cab solution so where do I go from here? I play bigger pubs, parties and functions. For the pub gigs I don't go front of house, for the parties I do.

So what on earth do I do? New rig, sell all the other stuff? PErsist with my Eden tone fantasy but replace the power amp and potentially a couple of new cabs? Or go simple lightweight, powerful, punchy? My back tells me lightweight...............

HELP. I'M IN CHESHIRE IN CASE ANYONE CALLS THE SAMARITANS ON MY BEHALF.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='vinorange' timestamp='1479213453' post='3174750']
It is with desperation that I turn my fellow bass players for advice......I've got myself in an amplification pickle and don't know which way to go.

I love the Eden tone / enhance function but having been let down by their power stages have gone for an Eden Navigator preamp and paired it with an Ecler power amp through a 410 purple chilli 410 neo 1200w cab.
All was ok apart from the Ecler amp being a bit thin until I blew my drivers (fingers point at the Ecler). So I got myself a quick fix Ashdown ABM500 1 x 15 cab to see me through a gig or 2. The neo drivers for the purple chilli are celestion 300w bn-10 300x and are out of stock in the UK and if they were stocked cost £120 each....and then is it only 2 I need or 4......and is the crossover ok.......... The Ashdown cab is not my thing really.

Now I am faced with replacing the Ecler (as it's not good enough for bass, maybe with a Peavey PV1500 or a Crown Xti), and replacing the Ashown cab with a lightweight cab or 2, repairing the 410 maybe (if the drivers come into stock) OR just getting something completely different like a lightweight set up.

I like the clarity of tone that the Eden gives and like a single cab solution so where do I go from here? I play bigger pubs, parties and functions. For the pub gigs I don't go front of house, for the parties I do.

So what on earth do I do? New rig, sell all the other stuff? PErsist with my Eden tone fantasy but replace the power amp and potentially a couple of new cabs? Or go simple lightweight, powerful, punchy? My back tells me lightweight...............

HELP. I'M IN CHESHIRE IN CASE ANYONE CALLS THE SAMARITANS ON MY BEHALF.
[/quote]

OK so it looks like your clear on a few things:
You like the eden preamp
You like the PC410
You dont like the ashdown cab

So this suggests you should:
Keep the eden preamp
Repair the PC410
Sell the ashdown cab
Buy a good poweramp

Having done that you could then see whether you still feel the need to change cabs to go for smaller/lighter ones.

Guest bassman7755

There are regular thread in amps-an-cabs forum about power amps, but the gist is generally to get a good mid-range PA amp, the peavey and crown ones you mention are probably as good as anything else.

I've tried contacting them and it's gone a bit quiet........Not sure if they are still trading.

I still don't know whether it may be worth just getting a lightweight set up. No pre / power amp, just a nice powerful light head with clear punchy light cab or am I in fantasy land?

Well I've got the other stuff to sell and I have cash as I just sold one of those basses that begin with R and sound like Kicken Backer.

I have the chance of a thunderfunk 750a. Similar to Eden but 600w at 4 ohm in a single head and still I'd end up recycling the power amp, pre and cabs but maybe thats what I need to do to get me out of the hole I've dug myself into.

[quote name='vinorange' timestamp='1479218022' post='3174813']
The ecler is 1600w in bridged mode and i had it in bridged mode............an output spike I'm guessing.
[/quote]

And are you having the glass replaced in the windows and concrete cracks repaired..? :o
Good gracious, we use a 200w amp and never get past halfway 'cos it gets too loud..! :lol: :P

:lol:
At least you've met one of your goals then.
You sound as if you'll have a good amount of money to spend.
If i were you, seeing as you're obviously a fan of volume, i'd be looking to get a cab that can use any and all the watts you throw at it.
There are many, but the ones that get recommended a lot are Barefaced, TKS, Bergantinos, Vanderklay. Sure i've missed some others.....
None are "better", just different flavours. Try as many as you can, then decide which your ears prefer.
A 2 X 12 is popular cabinet for a "one box does it all" option.
As for the Thunderfunk, i can't comment as i haven't played one, but I've only heard good things.
For me, i chose to go lightweight because i'm gigging regularly, and the compromise in losing "heft" <_< is neglible, in compared to what i'm saving in ease of movement. YMMV etc :D

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1479215648' post='3174778']
There are regular thread in amps-an-cabs forum about power amps, but the gist is generally to get a good mid-range PA amp, the peavey and crown ones you mention are probably as good as anything else.
[/quote]

plus QSC. Bullet proof in my experience.. Something like a PLX1602 would suit..

Guest bassman7755

Yeah at these sorts of power levers the volume would have to crushing in order to damage the speakers, it most likely a fault in the amp feeding it DC current or something.

I've checked the drivers and 2 are vibrating and 2 are ok but they are discontinued now so I have no options for matching those drivers in that cab other than repairing the speakers. Having said that the cab is 8 ohms and the amp I am considering replacing it all with runs best at 4 ohms so what to do...........Also I'm not sure the crossover is ok and frankly the cab has seen better days.

Think I'm going off the idea of a pre / power amp set up - mainly as it'll be too heavy. I've just had a hernia op and I'm not considering another one as an option....
This leaves me with nothing useable and I don't know what I am trying to achieve so can't figure out a plan.

I think I want to go with a single amp and the thunderfunk tickles my fancy but that then leaves me needing either a single 4 ohm cab or 2 single 8 ohm cabs only lightweight so ruling out all ceramic drivers....

This is why I need help. Possibly mentally.

[quote name='vinorange' timestamp='1479216443' post='3174791']
I've tried contacting them and it's gone a bit quiet........Not sure if they are still trading.

[/quote]

I think Mike Walsh is concentrating on building basses again, but he's a really nice guy, and has a good reputation on here. Try getting him via Zoot Basses [url="http://www.zootbass.com"]http://www.zootbass.com[/url]

I think I may abandon ship, sell all my gear and start again.

Sometimes you just end up picking up gear and hoping it is the sound you're after. If it isn't maybe the best is to start again.

One amp. One cab. Lightweight. Job done.

Any suggestions out there for a light powerful toneful amp and single 4 ohm cab? I need to keep up with a particularly noisy drummer and love the Eden enhanced tone.
I'd like to keep the spend under £1k.