Why become a member? ×

Ibanez K5 low output

Dropzone

I have an Ibanez K5 fieldy, and compared to my Warwick the output is very low.

So my first question is, does anyone else have one and agree they generally have a low output?

Second is, what is a regular output and how do you measure it?

Third, with the presumption it is the pickups, what would people recommend for metal?

Ta

Mike

I used to have an active Ibanez atk200 that's output was significantly quieter than my passive Ibanez Blazer. After a bit of discussion on here conclusion was its just a low output bass. No way to turn up the on-board eq. Turn up the amp gain.

Edited by gs_triumph

[quote name='Dropzone' timestamp='1478086509' post='3166602']
I do have a warwick rock bass vampire sitting about doing nothing. Will this be an easy swap?
[/quote] depends on the number of controls on the basses and the size and shape of the pres if they have the same arrangement it should be pretty easy but may not help as I think the mecs in warwicks are proper active pickups but maybe I am talking rubbish lol

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1478128256' post='3167075']
If I was playing metal I would daisy up 2 Orange tube rigs, one bass and one guitar rig with several fuzz, distortion and octave pedals.

Any decent bass would work.

Blue
[/quote]
when i played metal i used an ampeg svt with 4 x 10, a singular distortion pedal and a fender jazz bass..... a metal tone like you described would just be messy in the mix

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1478128256' post='3167075']
If I was playing metal I would daisy up 2 Orange tube rigs, one bass and one guitar rig with several fuzz, distortion and octave pedals.

Any decent bass would work.

Blue
[/quote]
That would sound awful in the vast majority of metal bands. Would sound fantastic in a doom/sludge/stoner act, but would be completely inappropriate for most metal bands.