Why become a member? ×

What to do with my P bass ?

lojo

Anyone ever had a instrument that your not sure what do with ?

My p bass is a CIJ 70s with US spec , still has the vintage US pickup sticker on neck plate . It's unique as it has reversed pickups and is a prototype of the Rocco Prestia Signature based which never got released

http://youtu.be/puY2_cRLMbQ

Anyway , I leave it on the wall , it's a bit special because of the rarity (although I know this doesn't make it valuable) , but I don't wish to get gig dents in it and I'm not usaully one who hoardes gear that isn't being gigged, or at least could be. I love this bass , both to play and as an ornament , but this just seems wrong somehow :)

Edited by lojo

I'm not the best person to ask for advice. . . . my basses get gigged or sold. They are not ornaments to me, they work.

But if [i]you[/i] can't decide don't do anything until [i]you're[/i] comfortable with making [i]that[/i] decision.

I have 2 gigging basses, a main (US Precision) and a backup (MIM Precision), plus one at home (US Precision) for "home-play" so I don`t deaden the strings on my giggers (4 gigs and I need new strings). Use this one as your home-bass. Even though I gig loads and rehearse each week, my home-bass still gets played just as much if not more.

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1476018712' post='3150453']
So it's a £500 piece of wall art you occasionally fondle :P

I'd be putting the photos up in "Basses for sale" about now.
But that's me, no class :D
[/quote]

Yeah , but to be fair it's an asset , like a cheap diamond :)

I'm down to 1 bass again - my old '74 Ricky. As such, it gets played and gigged regularly.

It's had some resto work, so it's not some pristine antique.

I always think that if you own it, use it. If anything happens, then that's the way it goes. I drive to gig in a car worth far more than the bass, and I don't think about that every time I drive out! B)

Edited by spongebob