Why become a member? ×

DR Black Beauties

Dom in Dorset

It takes a couple of months for me to take the coating off any strings and that includes Elixirs, playing about 60% pick to fingers.

Currently using Dragon Skin DR's instead of my usual Elixirs and Black Beauties. Didn't like Roto Nexus strings for some reason.

IMO coatings do work incredible well to keep the zing.

I had some of these on a Stingray and Precision and for some reason they always made a kind of electronic buzzing sound. It was very odd! I swapped them over a few times and each time there was a buzz.
There where a few others that found that as well. Not sure if it was just one batch of strings or not as I never purchased any again afterwards.

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1475761455' post='3148550']
Why not just play regular DR strings.? Playing with a pick make the strings last way longer anyways. DR make long lasting strings, this coating stuff I just don't buy.
[/quote]

I've had a set of hi beams on my favourite bass since February.

They taken a load of abuse as I've spent most of my practice time this year trying to improve my slap technique.

They still sound great.

You only know once you try for yourself so take the plunge. Every one raved about (and still does) DRs overall so I tried em but I still prefer cheap Rotos.

Personally I dont like em. So thats a win win for me cause I buy the rotos @ £12.00 a set. At least now I know. Others here would have me burnt at the stake for such a remark!! :D

[quote name='bassjim' timestamp='1475769083' post='3148648']
You only know once you try for yourself so take the plunge. Every one raved about (and still does) DRs overall so I tried em but I still prefer cheap Rotos.maybe I'm missing something. It matters not though, if Roto players are happy it's all good.

Personally I dont like em. So thats a win win for me cause I buy the rotos @ £12.00 a set. At least now I know. Others here would have me burnt at the stake for such a remark!! :D
[/quote] you pays your money you takes your choice. The thing is with strings you settle on what you like,because strings seem to be a little thing that you really shouldn't or dont want to spend alot of money on to get a good tone. If thou is happy though tis all good

Edited by bubinga5

I like Black Beauties and their Silver Stars siblings. What I like most about them is their punch. They're not boomy nor are they metallic and zingy - to me they are the perfectly balanced string. I've never had a problem with them until I recently bought an EBMM Sterling - firstly the windings are a little longer than some other strings (such as Ernie Ball) and are a bit too long for that bass (the thicker wound section of the bottom string ends up being wound on the tuning post) and secondly, the coating on the string appears to prevent it gripping the tuning post propely on these particular tuners and can result in occasional slipping - although I've used these strings for years and never had this problem with any other basses.

Edited by darkandrew

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' timestamp='1475759553' post='3148529']
I tried and liked Rotosound Nexus strings, I liked the sound , tension, feel and look. However I occasionally play with a pick and it takes the coating off.
How to Black Beauties fair?
[/quote]

I used both... they last about the same.

I am a heavy handed pick player - I went through phase of using Black Beauties but the coating didn't ever last intact for longer than a couple of weeks. Also it wears away on the underside from rubbing on the frets, which is ok if you never need to take off then refit the strings but a bit of a challenge if you do and try to line up the worn patch with the fret! Black permanent marker pen is a temporary fix - a fabric marker pen is a better match.