Why become a member? ×

Basslines you don't know why you struggle with

GarethFlatlands

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1474360244' post='3137312']
Lately, I've been struggling with Walk This Way by Aerosmith. Its one of those bass lines that hard to identify and internalise. Secondly its all 1st and 3rd frets exposing my poor technique and requiring alot of pinky work because I cant sustain the speed using the (correct) ring finger. Thirdly its got a rhythmic variation between the first and second phrases which I find throws me off course. Lastly I I find it easier to to play the verse/hook with fingers but really need a pick for the chorus. All in all a right b*stard to play, and I dont even like the song.
[/quote]

I have just started this as we are going to be doing it. I assumed it was going to be easy, but I didn't realise the chorus part was like it was, and although I play it fine on its own, along to the music, the run down misses notes playing it with something else. I use my pinky, but then I always do - I don't have a great stretch.
Luckily I do like the song!

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1474384815' post='3137557']
I don't know this joke!
[/quote]

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1474385109' post='3137561']
Try learning the bass part!
[/quote]

Yup, that's the one :) he he!!

On my own; aint no body, chaka khan and do i do, stevie wonder = no prob. nailed it. with the band = disaster = I'm constantly surrounded by amateurs :lol:

Might be a few more that are "band" related.

Personal struggles in particular...

Even though there is no point, as I will never play these live the following two,Jacos' Teen Town and Donna Lee. I have been unsuccessfully trying to play these two for the last 20 years but although I know where all the notes are and in what order, I just cant do em'. After an hour or so of constant practice either can start to get close but come next day its back to square one.

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1474360990' post='3137322']
Strangely enough, Its The Beatles 'Come Together' that irks me. While its not difficult to play, I cant get that slide up to the top D to sound smoothly.
[/quote]

I seem to remember dropping my E string to D when I played it many years ago. I assume it was because it made the song easier !

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1474389726' post='3137619']

I have just started this as we are going to be doing it. I assumed it was going to be easy, but I didn't realise the chorus part was like it was, and although I play it fine on its own, along to the music, the run down misses notes playing it with something else. I use my pinky, but then I always do - I don't have a great stretch.
Luckily I do like the song!
[/quote]

I love playing this, mainly because of the bassline. I play it on a 5er and it's fairly easy fret wise.

I agree about Rhythm Stick. I think it's quite doable but I've always given up as it clearly takes time to nail. So laziness would be my reason.

Most Rush songs...

Doing a couple in the 'Rush Fans Got Talent' as Rush EU Con in a few weeks time - great idea, fans get to pick a song from a list and their instrument... Chosen A Passage to Bangkok and Animate. Passage is simple enough (must remember not to overplay the verse) and I've got Animate nailed except the intro to the final verse. not the playing but the timing of the first notes. It moves up from the and of the bridge into the verse part played root-and-fifth but I just can't nail the timing... Still, got a few more weeks to get it down. Stupid thing is - it shouldn't be that hard.

[quote name='Iain' timestamp='1474652784' post='3139691']
Most Rush songs...

Doing a couple in the 'Rush Fans Got Talent' as Rush EU Con in a few weeks time - great idea, fans get to pick a song from a list and their instrument... Chosen A Passage to Bangkok and Animate. Passage is simple enough (must remember not to overplay the verse) and I've got Animate nailed except the intro to the final verse. not the playing but the timing of the first notes. It moves up from the and of the bridge into the verse part played root-and-fifth but I just can't nail the timing... Still, got a few more weeks to get it down. Stupid thing is - it shouldn't be that hard.
[/quote]

Mate, cut yourself some slack! It's not exactly easy - this is Geddy we're talking about!

[quote name='essexbasscat' timestamp='1474790448' post='3140439']
My Guy by Mary Wells. No problem at all if all I'm doing is the bass line, but there's a bounce to it that goes out the window when I start doing BV's
[/quote]

Ahh - bv are another thing. I trip up on Billie Jean if I am singing, in fact most things!