Why become a member? ×

Squarepusher?

Barking Spiders

I bunged in his name in the search box and the most recent tread was posted in 2012 so I'm guessing there's not a lot love here for the quirky drum n' bass merchant? Viz technique he's right up there with Claypool, Wootten and Sheehan though I much prefer his music to theirs. Any other takers?

Edited by Barking Spiders

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1472731725' post='3123727']
He is a visionary - continually pushing the boundaries of composition and noise. I love his glitchy sonic spasms. I'm less keen on his bass playing - more into the electronic stuff.
[/quote]

I'm the opposite - his bass playing is what impresses me. His early stuff leaves me cold, but I saw him live at ATP in the small hours, and - top of my head blew off. It was soon after the release of 'Just a Souvenir', just him, a drummer and a laptop or two. An unforgettable experience.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='TKenrick' timestamp='1472719751' post='3123554']
He did a tour earlier in the year with a live band:

[media]http://youtu.be/kX9QE6OBvoY[/media]

[/quote]

Love this video. Takes me back to when 'Feed Me Weird Things' and 'Hard Normal Daddy' came out, and I used to marvel at how he made very basic electronic gear stretch to the limits and do things it was never intended to do. And now it's just as much fun to see real musicians being stretched to do the same things all these years later. Mind you, he has a crack team here - especially the astonishing Adam Betts on drums.

Trying to work out his bass rig in the video. Obviously it's an MM Bongo 6 into a TC RH750 head (two great choices there), but what cabs is he using? It looks a real mishmash! Is that a 1x15 of some sort at the top? Whatever, sounds great.