Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What should i add to the collection?

zonular

Hey folks, long time lurker, first time poster.
To try and cut this short, I've picked up a bass a few years ago in a trade. Played guitar for years....bass to me is far more satisfying.
The bass in question is a Ibanez atk400, its a beauty, I can get a lot of tones out of it feels great.
Looking to add to the collection, which would you consider first. Simple p bass, a short scale, five string or fretless.
I would add I do have smaller hands and I'm only playing with friends nothing major, although id love a cover band.

What's in your collection?

Welcome to BC Zonular.

You only need to go on YouTube and see some of the young kids and petite ladies play "normal" basses to learn hand size means nothing. You can play anything you want to play. It only takes determination and the will to succeed. I guess, coming from guitar, it all just feels big?

As for what to get and where do you go, what do you enjoy playing?

Maybe you need to find a good stockist and try some basses? There's another recent thread here where people discuss the difference in sound between precision and Jazz anD some folk say there is no difference. In the mix, they're probably right.

Have fun.

Edited by Grangur

My hands aren't that big either and I have a 5 string Cort Curbow and a Squier Vintage Modified Precision (which has a slightly narrower neck than the 'traditional' P bass) and I find they're just as easy to play as my other basses that have skinnier necks. My first bass was a Jazz copy and I never understood what all the fuss was about with P basses until I eventually added one to the collection - they sound great whether they're wearing flats or rounds!

BBC (Before Basschat), I owned the same bass for years. Since joining the forum, I've had more basses, amplifiers and effects than I've had hot dinners. What it has taught me is that whatever I play, I always sound like me and I could gig with almost any playable bass.
I would suggest trying as many different instruments as you can and see if anything takes your fancy. Bass bashes are very good places to try gear out and get good advice.
PS. I had an ATK400 recently. Fabulous bass but way too heavy for my feeble back, I'm afraid

Lots to choose from but for me nothing beats the tones of the classic Precision, Jazz and Stingray. The ATK isn't far off the Stingray, so I would look out for used Squier Classic Vibe P and/or J basses.

A Jazz with rounds sounds like a beast with a bit of overdrive / distortion, great for Timmy C impressions. A Precision with rounds played with a pick is the classic punk tone, or whack some flats on it for blues/soul/Motown.

If you want one bass that ticks multiple boxes - a 5 string with a narrower neck suited for small hands, with a classic P sound plus a more scooped/agressive sound with both pickups on... Look for a Yamaha BB415 / BB425!

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='zonular' timestamp='1472623835' post='3122616']
Hey folks, long time lurker, first time poster.
To try and cut this short, I've picked up a bass a few years ago in a trade. Played guitar for years....bass to me is far more satisfying.
The bass in question is a Ibanez atk400, its a beauty, I can get a lot of tones out of it feels great.
Looking to add to the collection, which would you consider first. Simple p bass, a short scale, five string or fretless.
I would add I do have smaller hands and I'm only playing with friends nothing major, although id love a cover band.

[/quote]

hand size is not very relevant. Some people have smallish hands yet prefer wider necks. I initially liked thin Jazz bass necks, as I was used to guitars, but after a while I found the bigger necks more comfortable.

I'd suggest a Precision, because it produces classic tones you cannot get close to with your ATK. But don't get the first one that comes across. Try many until you find 'the one'. I thought I didn't like Precision basses until I found a good one ;)

The fretless would be a cool different instrument to have, but it depends on how much you like the fretless sound. I have one, but I don't use it all that much.

I would not worry about 5 strings until you find yourself needing one. Switching to 5 string is not difficult once you find the instrument with the right neck for you, but I find the effort unnecessary if you don't need a 5-string and you love the 4-string you normally use.

All I'd say is, don't bother about "collections". One great bass will cost the same as several good basses, but will play and sound much, much better.

For me it would be a toss up between a P bass, a Jazz bass and a Lakland. I'd try Fenders but I'd also be looking at all the other makes on the market and I'd be tracking the BC classifieds, because you'll get a much better deal on a better bass.

Don't worry about small hands/big necks. If your technique is good then you don't have to worry about this. I would definitely check out 5 string basses and I'd leave fretless for another day.

[quote name='zonular' timestamp='1472641297' post='3122807']
Budget is on the cheaper end of the scale 300/400 ish so I watching the s/h market like a hawk.

As for attending a bash id love to but I'm based in Dublin so not a trek I could make lol
[/quote]

With the falling value of the Pound against the Euro, it'll soon be as cheap to attend the North-West bass bash as a packet of Cornflakes costs in Dublin :lol:

Edited by MoJo

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1472645540' post='3122857']

With the falling value of the Pound against the Euro, it'll soon be as cheap to attend the North-West bass bash as a packet of Cornflakes costs in Dublin :lol:
[/quote]

I was back and forward to Cambridge for college for a while during the good times and that was great, nearly one to one conversion, then Ireland lost the plot. They were the good times. Yep ill keep that plan on the back burner

There's a Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar V, but the necks are wider and shallower with a smaller fretboard radius (i.e. curvier) than the Yamaha. I prefer flatter boards, narrower nuts, and a bit of chunk depth-wise, so find the Yam necks more comfortable. You might be the opposite of course!

Schecter make some too.

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1472628949' post='3122665']
Lots to choose from but for me nothing beats the tones of the classic Precision, Jazz and Stingray. The ATK isn't far off the Stingray, so I would look out for used Squier Classic Vibe P and/or J basses.
[/quote]

There's my answer right there. This Dannybuoy boy is one helluva resourceful guy! :D
Seriously: I've just sold 14 basses including Bongos and StingRays, and the ones the buyers were most flabbergasted with were the Classic Vibe Ps and Js as well as a Hohner B2B.

I'll repeat the wise words from some others on BC:
if you go for a Squier Vintage Modified, then do so after trying it out only. Some variation is reported to exist, and I have experienced it myself as well. The CV is reported to be risk free, and that's why I went for those when ordering from abroad.
I'm happy I did. Awesome things.

[quote name='zonular' timestamp='1472623835' post='3122616']

[/quote]

1.1951 MIJ Fender P Bass (Tele Headstock) reissue

2.1954 MIJ Fender P Bass (Tele Headstock)reissue

3.1991 Gibson Thunderbird

4.1990 G&L ASAT Bass with active pre-amp.

5. German made Hofner Limited Edition Club Bass, Cavern Club PU spacing with flight case.

6. Gibson ES-335 Bass in vintage faded cherry

7. Gibson Gold Top Les Paul Bass

Personally, I wouldn't invest in another bass until your actually in a working band.

Blue

Edited by blue

I think I`d look at needs - do you need a backup for gigging, will a five-string help with learning/playing material not able to be done on a four-string bass, that kind of thing. Having loads of different sounding instruments is great but if looking to go into a covers band I`d probably look at getting a five-string equivalent of the current bass.