Why become a member? ×

Markbass Mark Stand - Worth the money?

TomRandles97

Thinking about getting the Mark Stand for gigs etc. At home I've come up with a makeshift solution of set of weights or bricks under the front of the cab, which obviously isn't the most elegant solution and certainly not one I'd want to use outside of the house. I also slightly resent spending £30 on a bit of cloth and plywood unless I know it's going to be worthwhile.

Basically want to know; How does it effect dispersion? Does the angled cab in a gig scenario lose some of the low end and 'punch'? Am I, and more importantly, the audience going to benefit from the improved clarity?

You'd be better off with a proper amp stand. Or otherwise see if you can knock some sort of wedge together yourself. If it's the same one I had.... three bits of cloth covered stuff with a bit velcro... it's not worth the money, and not very stable.

I had one and used it with a 102p. It did it's job brilliantly and really helped me and my bandmates to hear my bass.

But, it's a pain't that your amp can't really sit on your cab with it; unless you knock some sort of shelf thing up to secure it. Also; it is expensive for what is probably a fivers worth of material.

For a combo it's a really smart tool, and gives some sense to the amp carpeting. It does it's job brilliantly, it's stable, and this way the amp looses little to nothing because it still couples with floor. It's light, it's portable and foldable. It's pricey but you pay fir the idea and for it's use.
With two cabs stacked I can imagine putting it between the two to raise and angoe the top one only...perfect for little one driver cabs

Edited by sratas

Thanks for all the advice fellas

I'm currently using a MB NY 122 with a TA503, the case for the amp actually has velcroing on the underside which has proved useful in sticking itself to the carpeting on the cab. Whether this was an intentional part of the design, I'm not sure, but it works well. I don't think I'd trust it with the stand though so I'll have to figure it out if I decide to get it.

Reckon it would hold a 2x12 well? Can't see it being a problem but if it's designed to use with combos I could run into some issues with the dimensions and weight.

I've had several over the years. If you like gigging lite, like I do, it's a whole lot easier to haul than a tubular amp stand. Works well and will angle a cab so you can hear it on stage and not just have it firing at your ankles.

You pay for the design, efficiency and portability. How much the raw materials cost is irrelevant, IMHO. It is a Markbass product after all...

[quote name='sratas' timestamp='1472794409' post='3124258']
For a combo it's a really smart tool, and gives some sense to the amp carpeting. It does it's job brilliantly, it's stable, and this way the amp looses little to nothing because it still couples with floor. It's light, it's portable and foldable. It's pricey but you pay fir the idea and for it's use.
With two cabs stacked I can imagine putting it between the two to raise and angoe the top one only...perfect for little one driver cabs
[/quote]
[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1473027924' post='3126294']
I've had several over the years. If you like gigging lite, like I do, it's a whole lot easier to haul than a tubular amp stand. Works well and will angle a cab so you can hear it on stage and not just have it firing at your ankles.

You pay for the design, efficiency and portability. How much the raw materials cost is irrelevant, IMHO. It is a Markbass product after all...
[/quote]

I'd agree. I've used mine with my Traveler cabs and it works a treat. Simple and effective if, as others have said, a bit overpriced for what it is. Used it with the 2x10 in both short/fat and tall/thin configurations. I've got the amp case which is Velcro'd so that solves the stability problem on the leaning cab.