Why become a member? ×

Spouses, do they like or hate your instruments?

Barking Spiders

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1472118285' post='3118621']

I just wanted to quote this, because that's me. Music, Guitars, Drums, Music Software, Electronics, Playing, Seeing people play, Learning Music, Teaching Music, Reviewing gear, Everything, EVERYTHING. I'm totally consumed by it and wanting to know more about it all. You are quite right, no one [i]should[/i] stop you from doing something you love. Especially when it's what you do to keep a roof over the heads of your family.
[/quote]

Glad you agree! :)

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1472078586' post='3118422']
My wife thinks I'm mad because I never keep hold of stuff...

She loves the gear, allocated me a room in the new house, encourages, supports, and actively presses me to play.

She 'hates' the fact I sold my Custom Shop 55 to Beedster...

She 'misses' a 1977 Precision bass I had...

She laughs when gear turns up..."more bloody scratchplates and thingies have come in the post..."

She comes to gigs, and tells me what she thinks.

I'm a lucky bloke, and I'll be dead honest - I wouldn't stick around if someone made me feel like I had to stop or reduce my playing/gear.

[/quote]

Sounds like my circs....sounds good to me!

Secretly, let's face it, most ladies like a guy to have a cool hobby. Music is cool, no matter what anyone thinks. Creating/playing/writing music is a good skill to have, and it shows you have an interesting side to your personality.

And, to be balanced, if I dated/lived with a lady who played in a band and spent a lot of time on music, I would love it...it's an attractive attribute to be a musician.

I have to also add this would also apply to same sex couples, obviously!

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1472123348' post='3118681']
i was a musician when i met my wife, and she knows it comes as part of the deal.
[/quote]

This nails it for me. Everyone has their own interests and foibles and trying to change or restrict a person seems a recipe for an early parting of the ways to me. Why would anyone want to do such a thing to someone they purport to love?

[quote name='4stringslow' timestamp='1472160968' post='3119081']

This nails it for me. Everyone has their own interests and foibles and trying to change or restrict a person seems a recipe for an early parting of the ways to me. Why would anyone want to do such a thing to someone they purport to love?
[/quote]

Indeed. I agree.

The first Mrs Zero was quite supportive of my playing in bands - she came to some, but not all gigs. The second Mrs Zero, after a brief semi-enthusiastic period, was indifferent to it (well, she was pretty indifferent to me, as long as I kept a roof over our heads and she only had to work enough hours in the week to pay for her booze and fags). The third (and current) Mrs Zero is enthusiastic about it, and has finished up being the singer in one band, and in our acoustic duo.

I don't think I could cope with a relationship with someone who was either actively or passively opposed to my playing in bands. In the same way, I couldn't cope with someone who didn't like me riding bikes (all three Mrs Zeros have been enthusiastic bikers, so that's never been a problem).

My packages are usually for the 'bike or the guitars. She just roll's her eyes and makes a quip "garage or study?". She likes eBay & baking. Obviously, I tolerate the baking... my waistline isn't that much of a fan. ;) :D

She's actually actively encouraged me to try and get another band going, and actually said that my current No.1 bass was the nicest I've had.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1472204854' post='3119379']

I don't think I could cope with a relationship with someone who was either actively or passively opposed to my playing in bands. {snip}
[/quote]

Well, once they've taken your self-belief and confidence, they might as well strike off your passion too.

• 2 weeks later...

Ex was supportive, encouraging, let me practice unplugged when we watched TV and never once complained. I think she liked it. She never once said stop or "go and play your bass" - she would say "go and get your bass". Asked questions, too, like "Did you just make that riff up on the spot?"

Current partner doesn't say much :lol: but lets me keep my amp in the living room, hasn't complained yet and even offered to buy me a BIGGER amp for my 40th! It's early days though, the truth will out at some point - be it good or bad. :lol:

Edited by Funky Dunky