Why become a member? ×

Scam (not the jamiroquai song)

garyod7

was trying to sell someone a bass and got a reply from a guy abroad, I've sold to a guy in Norway before so no red flag from that but then I get an email saying the money's been sent, you'll have a confirmation from paypal but it may go to your spam (I never have real paypal stuff going to spam) and it's 'ive added £300 for shipping,you need to pay that first from your own pocket via western union then scan the receipt then paypal will activate the full amount to you'

So all I need to do is pay £300 quid upfront then my money will be 'released' - nice one i'll get right on that. I don't even want to open the email in spam in case it does something

no not on here, only sterling folk I've dealt with here, I'd put the ad on gumtree and it followed from there, shocking though that folk pull these stunts!

I went to my paypal...obviously.. and no mention, first time ive had any bother buying or selling

Edited by garyod7

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1470743257' post='3108053']
Chancers...I suppose that they must still get away with it otherwise they'd have given up on it by now..eventually everybody will be computer savvy enough not to fall for this sh1t.
[/quote]

I don't think it matters if you are computer savvy or not. I know I.T. people who are gullible too. There is an opportunist for every walk of life, technology hasn't changed a thing.

I played along withg obne of these buggers a while back - chap claimed to be scots living abroad and buyin got for his nephew.
Went through the whole Western Union or PayPal... shipping agents fees bit and was obviously fully prepared with a fairly credible back story.

If you reckon they catch one seller in ten, or even one in twenty, not a bad way to make a living, especially if Some Fool ships the instrument too!

Scum sucking bottom feeders are everywhere, and Gumtree is just another area they permeate. They will do anything rather than earn their own way in life.

They'd rather just rip it out of someone else.. easy money. They must send millions of these every year, and if 1% get suckered in, they make a fortune

Sadly, we can't eradicate gullibility, and so there will always be ' customers ' who fall prey.

The favourite one with Bumtree is the buyer is ill or blind and can't collect the item, but they'll pay by PayPal and send a friend or courier.

I've had this the last few times that I've sold stuff on there, despite me stating cash on collection only in the advert.

The scam works because PayPal need a tracked method of delivery.