Why become a member? ×

Ad200b - muddy sound?

aidanhallbass

Hi, I am currently running an orange ad200b through an orange 810 cab, Gibson Les Paul bass with active pickups.

My eq settings are roughly volume at 9oclock, treble about 3oclock mid about 12 oclock bass about 12 o'clock and gain 10 o'clock.

The bass is set to a flat eq, with a little treble boost.
To my ears the sound I'm getting is a little too 'muddy' compared with using a tb500. Would a compressor help with this or would different valves help? I play finger style hard rock / metal.

Any other orange players, I welcome your advice! Thanks :)

Edited by aidanhallbass

I`d add in some form of eq rather than a compressor - the Les Paul is a very warm deep sounding bass, and Orange amps are also famed for a warm rounded sound. To me some form of mid-range clarity is what`s needed, rather than top-end. Maybe a grahic like the Source Audio one - link below

http://www.sourceaudio.net/products/toolblox/programmable_eq.php

I'm not too qualified in this as I don't actually own one, but I've gig shared the AD200b on a bunch of gigs.
I always found that same muddiness with the 810 and 410 cabs, never liked them personally. But with their 115 cab, whole different story. The sound was clear as day to me, loved that rig.
So yeah, maybe try some different cabs if you can?

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1469895359' post='3101874']
It's a passive EQ which isn't flat with knobs at noon, so start with the mids up full, bass at 9 o'clock, and treble to taste.
[/quote]

def try messing with the eq, never heard of the ad200 being muddy, if your pushing to many lows into the amp or boosting the lows this could be a problem.

as dannybuoy said try setting it flat, but maybe try cutting a bit of bass, that rig will never sound thin! even with an extreme bass cut but id try boosting those mids as with the 810 that should be pretty mid heavy aswell.

Andy

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1469926437' post='3102097']
...or try a different bass. :)
[/quote]

Indeed. However I must say you amp, caband bass choice doesn't exactly say defined tone. And what your describing fro.your rig is exactly how it would be.