Why become a member? ×

Post your pedal board - Basschat style!!

dudewheresmybass

Here's my current board for Wild Rocket and some irregular psych and kraut jams we have between a bunch of mates here. Hopefully it won't change for quite a while.

The brains per se is the bottom right box. This has an active splitter with phase switch, a mute for each output plus a modded Sunn Beta preamp replica. The Beta goes to the DOD eq, Meatbox clone and Hi-band Flanger which all run into a HB Bass Block 800 and a 1x15 for my "clean" low/low mid side.

The rest runs into the echo return on my Sound City 120 and a second 1x15. Some gigs I'll the top and bottom of an 8x10 in the same sorta configuration. The Nomad and Sledgehammer are in the parallel loop of the Sy-1 and I generally have one or the other on all the time. Then I have the Lantern Rowan Flanger and Ross Phaser for various parts. Then the Sundrive and Cosmic Trigger are always on for my core base tone. The Sundrive is set with gain at zero and I find it really helps to gel the dirt and synth tones together as a sort of very gentle natural compressor. I use the boost on the Sundrive the odd time playing clean to get the level up a bit but generally it's left off. Likewise with the Cosmic Trigger boost.

All powered off a pair of Strymon Ojais with some daisy chaining.

PS knobs may not be set where I usually have them..

PXL_20240212_132152848~2.jpg

• Like 9

IMG_0006.thumb.JPG.f35c8f6ab9a653f92c616d9ea38a3f1f.JPG

My main board for the doom band, made from an IKEA Hejne shelf with two T-Rex power supplies under. I should get some better quality patch cables but it works great now. The red PSM-5 is for switching on/off the delay/reverb pedal loop.

Edited by Rolf
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, moose23 said:

Here's my current board for Wild Rocket and some irregular psych and kraut jams we have between a bunch of mates here. Hopefully it won't change for quite a while.

The brains per se is the bottom right box. This has an active splitter with phase switch, a mute for each output plus a modded Sunn Beta preamp replica. The Beta goes to the DOD eq, Meatbox clone and Hi-band Flanger which all run into a HB Bass Block 800 and a 1x15 for my "clean" low/low mid side.

The rest runs into the echo return on my Sound City 120 and a second 1x15. Some gigs I'll the top and bottom of an 8x10 in the same sorta configuration. The Nomad and Sledgehammer are in the parallel loop of the Sy-1 and I generally have one or the other on all the time. Then I have the Lantern Rowan Flanger and Ross Phaser for various parts. Then the Sundrive and Cosmic Trigger are always on for my core base tone. The Sundrive is set with gain at zero and I find it really helps to gel the dirt and synth tones together as a sort of very gentle natural compressor. I use the boost on the Sundrive the odd time playing clean to get the level up a bit but generally it's left off. Likewise with the Cosmic Trigger boost.

All powered off a pair of Strymon Ojais with some daisy chaining.

PS knobs may not be set where I usually have them..

PXL_20240212_132152848~2.jpg

I recognise that board...

Whats up, bud.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, lidl e said:

I recognise that board...

Whats up, bud.

Hello. I finally finished up this board last week. Got gigs being announced soon too. Looks like we had an 18 month gap which is madness.. Hope you're good!

• Like 3

Hello. I finally finished up this board last week. Got gigs being announced soon too. Looks like we had an 18 month gap which is madness.. Hope you're good!

Just played a show in limerick wirh the Nilz. We were all chatting about you.

Their bassist also had a sledgehammer.  He sounded killer

20240223_232646.thumb.jpg.c3e3f497c493dce15151948133580305.jpg

I had to use my Jam red muck bass for my travel board.

• Like 3

Had a bit of a reshuffle and went to a slightly smaller board. Gone from a classic 2 to a metro 24. The following is the signal path.

Bight onion patchbox

Sadowsky SBP1 DI/Preamp, (Donner tuner in the tuner output)

SFX Micro Thumpinator- (under the board)to get rid of the subsonics 25 Hz and below, helps tighten the low end.

FEA Optifet compressor- The ultimate pedal compressor, cali 76 and Diamond compressor sounds and more, a beauty 

Boss Ls2 - Back to patchbox and two loops to switch between.

Channel A- source Audio C4 synth, six different Synth/ octave/filter/Bit crusher tones 

Channel B

Aguilar Octamizer- fantastic tone with filter for octave and tilt EQ for the clean tone, tracks well.

Cog Tarkin Fuzz- amazing Creamey Fuzz based on the green Russian Big muff, with a filtered clean blend (only clean lows) and mid control, and best name ever.

EBS Bass IQ- latest blue label version, tons of variety and a funky analogue sound.

Subdecay Baby Quasar phaser, great Analog phaser with plenty of control. 

TC Corona mini chorus - Tons of toneprints, currently on the "sweet emotion" setting

20240224_170806.jpg

Edited by lee650
  • Like 13

17 minutes ago, lee650 said:

Had a bit of a reshuffle and went to a slightly smaller board. Gone from a classic 2 to a metro 24. The following is the signal path.

Bight onion patchbox

Sadowsky SBP1 DI/Preamp, (Donner tuner in the tuner output)

SFX Micro Thumpinator- (under the board)to get rid of the subsonics 25 Hz and below, helps tighten the low end.

FEA Optifet compressor- The ultimate pedal compressor, cali 76 and Diamond compressor sounds and more, a beauty 

Boss Ls2 - Back to patchbox and two loops to switch between.

Channel A- source Audio C4 synth, six different Synth/ octave/filter/Bit crusher tones 

Channel B

Aguilar Octamizer- fantastic tone with filter for octave and tilt EQ for the clean tone, tracks well.

Cog Tarkin Fuzz- amazing Creamey Fuzz based on the green Russian Big muff, with a filtered clean blend (only clean lows) and mid control, and best name ever.

EBS Bass IQ- latest blue label version, tons of variety and a funky analogue sound.

Subdecay Baby Quasar phaser, great Analog phaser with plenty of control. 

TC Corona mini chorus - Tons of toneprints, currently on the "sweet emotion" setting

20240224_170806.jpg

Amazing stuff! Loving the Tarkin (obviously).

I’ve been wondering about the Opti-FETs too. I’ve only ever heard good things.

• Like 2

On 24/02/2024 at 00:46, lidl e said:

Just played a show in limerick wirh the Nilz. We were all chatting about you.

Their bassist also had a sledgehammer.  He sounded killer

20240223_232646.thumb.jpg.c3e3f497c493dce15151948133580305.jpg

I had to use my Jam red muck bass for my travel board.

I know the lads a long time. Chris got that Sledgehammer pretty early quite possibly the very first run of them.

Morton was a student of mine in STC a few years back too. I'd say it's a small world but sure we live on a tiny island.

Is the Red Muck the Russian muff type?

• Like 3

On 20/02/2024 at 14:19, TRBboy said:

Finally think I've got everything squeezed onto mine after weeks of wrestling with it! Flat patch leads are definitely the way to go, I got some Sonicake ones off Amazon. I had tried making my own using some basic metal pancake plugs I had knocking around, but they're rubbish 🤣 (the plugs).

Sonicake wah modded to be bass friendly, and I've just had to replace the DC socket on my Chakra comp as it had fallen apart. I replaced the knobs at the same time as the old chicken head ones kept falling off.

Oh, also a somewhat obvious lesson learned: It's a great idea to buy a mini wah, but you need to realise that you still need enough space for your foot to operate it! 🤣🤦

PXL_20240218_220559956.jpg

Ah, it's great to see a B3 on a board. I wouldn't be without mine.

• Like 2

I know the lads a long time. Chris got that Sledgehammer pretty early quite possibly the very first run of them.

Morton was a student of mine in STC a few years back too. I'd say it's a small world but sure we live on a tiny island.

Is the Red Muck the Russian muff type?

Aye, he mentioned taking that class with you. 

The Red Muck is a muff type. It's pretty good, but your stuff honestly blows it away. I needed small with the extra gain stage for gig board so i went with the Jam although had you that electric elk back then, i likely would have looked at that!

All my recording is the sledgehammer. It's all over a few tracks on our new album!

• Like 2

A bit more tweakage to my board... 'Loopy de Loop' is a new send/return loop switch I've made using this latching relay switch PCB**, this uses a single-pole momentary footswitch so the action is loads softer and smoother than a normal true-bypass 3 pole switch; it works perfectly although I might re-do the graphics at some point. I'm not using the Bass EQ as a low-pass filter any more, I've programmed a patch on the Zoom to do that, so I'm using it as a booster & mid-bump for when I use my fretless (in an attempt to balance its signal with my much-louder Shuker). This means that the eq would be better placed towards the start of the chain in front of the Zoom, so there might be some major shuffling around at some point. For the moment, it all works nicely.

** If I build another pedal I will absolutely definitely use relay switching again, although I'd try the Musikding 'NoPE' switch instead as it's cheaper than this one was.

4.jpg.d1730cccf702dd945c992fd7d097e468.jpg

Edited by Rich
  • Like 10

47 minutes ago, 0175westwood29 said:

Mine to its gonna get tidied very soon as the cabling needs an overhaul

Excellent. Please make sure you post pics of the whole board then. 👍

• Like 1

If there was any doubt whether I am a pedal obsessive it's been dispelled since I suffered a shoulder injury. I've played less bass so I found a different bass-related outlet: building boards! I recently put together a European board using excellent versions of each type of pedal I play using only European manufacturers, and using each manufacturer no more than once. The board, power supplies and cables are European too. I think only the velcro isn't (I went for American dual lock instead of Swiss velcro).

EuropeanBoard-Front.thumb.jpg.cc5388efbb394eeddf462800ec26f9de.jpg

EuropeanBoard-Back.thumb.jpg.fb528326a25c97dc1d41e58099f957cf.jpg

I've been meaning to put together the European board since August but was waiting on a particular pedal. Ultimately I gave up (and it shipped today!!). In the meantime I put together other themed boards by manufacturer (Broughton, Iron Ether, Caveman, Noble and Cali76 (it may as well be one brand!), EAE and 3 Leaf):

ThemedBoards.thumb.jpg.67c70420e9eda63c4da4ec56327bc3b5.jpg

Here's a photo of all of the assembled boards (save that the BC1 is being used on the European board so that Caveman board has disappeared):

BigBoards.thumb.jpg.7c032f7b84d3d8e2d213cc63a4526115.jpg

Edited by admiralchew
Fixed typo
  • Like 21

14 minutes ago, admiralchew said:

If there was any doubt whether I am a pedal obsessive it's been dispelled since I suffered a shoulder injury. I've played less bass so I found a different bass-related outlet: building boards! I recently put together a European board using excellent versions of each type of pedal I play using only European manufacturers, and using each manufacturer no more than once. The board, power supplies and cables are European too. I think only the velcro isn't (I went for American dual lock instead of Swiss velcro).

I've been meaning to put this together the European board since August but was waiting on a particular pedal. Ultimately I gave up (and it shipped today!!). In the meantime I put together other themed boards by manufacturer (Broughton, Iron Ether, Caveman, Noble and Cali76 (it may as well be one brand!), EAE and 3 Leaf):

Here's a photo of all of the assembled boards (save that the BC1 is being used on the European board so that Caveman board has disappeared):

My word!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, admiralchew said:

I've been meaning to put this together the European board since August but was waiting on a particular pedal. Ultimately I gave up (and it shipped today!!). In the meantime I put together other themed boards by manufacturer (Broughton, Iron Ether, Caveman, Noble and Cali76 (it may as well be one brand!), EAE and 3 Leaf):

All nicely done, well done sir ! 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, admiralchew said:

Heck! That’s an amazing haul. I think there’s just about every pedal I’ve ever gassed over on one of those boards!

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

the crazy thing is I'm pretty sure you've still got pedals not on boards too! 

What make are the pedalboards? 

They're all Rockboards. In the bottom picture, the two big boards at the top are Rockboard 4.3s, I think, the Broughton and IE boards are 4.1s, the 3 Leaf and EAE boards are 2.2s and the Noble one is either a 2.1 or 2.0. I really like them for routing options, they fit power boards easily and they're sturdy. The only thing I dislike is that the size up (so extra space at the top/bottom) doesn't really assist if you have top-jack pedals because of where the gaps are for wires. I'm not sure I want to go for three rows though!

I've got on more 4.3 board sat here, power connected but waiting for pedals. I have a couple of plans but they may take a while to do, so I though I'd share these pictures now.

10 hours ago, BassAdder60 said:

Having top input . Output jacks helps in every pedal !

That’s a good point. I’ve been trying to use top input jacks for each pedal and I think there’s only a half dozen amongst those that aren’t.