Why become a member? ×

Punk/Post-Punk Bassists.

Cabal

[quote name='Deep Thought' post='376642' date='Jan 11 2009, 10:38 AM']Pat-trip dispenser

Creep

Not up to much[/quote]

It's a bit of a private language isn't it? ;) . They've been pretty crap since Mark 'sacked' (ie assaulted) the band in New York in 1998 and Steve and the other decided they'd had enough.

I used to have a massive discrepancy between the music I enjoyed listening to (Wire, the Fall, Talking Heads, Gang of Four, etc) and the music I enjoyed playing on my bass (the usual Jaco/Stanley fusion/funk stuff). The people who put the two together - ie played lines that I really enjoyed covering - were Norman Watt-Roy, Colin Moulding, Foxton, Dave Allen and Bruce Adamson. It's hard to take Graham Lewis from Wire too seriously because he was so pompous. And I'm not convinced that Tina Weymouth actually wrote many of the Heads lines, but could be wrong.

Oh and the bloke from the Bunnymen was pretty good. I used to love playing 'Rescue' which had some funky little moments in it.

[quote name='Brother Jones' post='377090' date='Jan 11 2009, 08:04 PM']It's a bit of a private language isn't it? ;) . They've been pretty crap since Mark 'sacked' (ie assaulted) the band in New York in 1998 and Steve and the other decided they'd had enough.

I used to have a massive discrepancy between the music I enjoyed listening to (Wire, the Fall, Talking Heads, Gang of Four, etc) and the music I enjoyed playing on my bass (the usual Jaco/Stanley fusion/funk stuff). The people who put the two together - ie played lines that I really enjoyed covering - were Norman Watt-Roy, Colin Moulding, Foxton, Dave Allen and Bruce Adamson. It's hard to take Graham Lewis from Wire too seriously because he was so pompous. And I'm not convinced that Tina Weymouth actually wrote many of the Heads lines, but could be wrong.

Oh and the bloke from the Bunnymen was pretty good. I used to love playing 'Rescue' which had some funky little moments in it.[/quote]
I've heard of most of those but what band was Dave Allen in?

[quote name='Brother Jones' post='377090' date='Jan 11 2009, 08:04 PM']It's a bit of a private language isn't it? ;) . They've been pretty crap since Mark 'sacked' (ie assaulted) the band in New York in 1998 and Steve and the other decided they'd had enough.

I used to have a massive discrepancy between the music I enjoyed listening to (Wire, the Fall, Talking Heads, Gang of Four, etc) and the music I enjoyed playing on my bass (the usual Jaco/Stanley fusion/funk stuff). The people who put the two together - ie played lines that I really enjoyed covering - were Norman Watt-Roy, Colin Moulding, Foxton, Dave Allen and [i][b]Bruce[/b][/i] Adamson. It's hard to take Graham Lewis from Wire too seriously because he was so pompous. And I'm not convinced that Tina Weymouth actually wrote many of the Heads lines, but could be wrong.

Oh and the bloke from the Bunnymen was pretty good. I used to love playing 'Rescue' which had some funky little moments in it.[/quote]

Do you mean [i][b]Barry[/b][/i] Adamson?

[quote name='project_c' post='378576' date='Jan 13 2009, 03:54 AM']+1 on Mike Watt, also Rob Wright of Nomeansno, they're the reason i started playing bass.[/quote]
This thread is bringing back some great memories. I also saw No Means no at some stage. Also Husker Du, Bad Brains, Dinosaur jr, (saw Mike Watt with J Mascis more recently), Mudhoney, Tad, Harr Crews (with Kim Gordon on bass). Some great US bands at that time.

[quote name='WHUFC BASS' post='374949' date='Jan 9 2009, 11:51 AM']Warhead was for me! I love the UK Subs. They're playing this Sunday in London which I'll be going to. Other first basslines include "Wonderful World" by the 4Skins, "Tube Disasters" Flux of Pink Indians and "When ya Get Drafted" by the Dead Kennedys.

Two fantastic bass players, especially Bruce Thomas. I really rate his playing and his sound too. Get Happy is an absoloute milestone for new wave basslines.

As for JJ Brunel. He carried my bass amp into a rehearsal studio on the Holloway Road back in the 1980s. He's a really nice down to earth geezer.[/quote]

Tube disasters by Flux was my first bassline, along with El salvador by The Insane.

• Like 1

[quote name='WHUFC BASS' post='381880' date='Jan 15 2009, 11:15 PM']Blimey, El salvador by The Insane now there's a blast from the past.[/quote]

Mackie from Blitz was a big influence to me and Gary MacCormack of The Exploited.
[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=FoqG2wQ5PV4"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=FoqG2wQ5PV4[/url]

Edited by 16Again

[quote name='16Again' post='381913' date='Jan 15 2009, 11:41 PM']Mackie from Blitz was a big influence to me and Gary MacCormack of The Exploited.
[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=FoqG2wQ5PV4"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=FoqG2wQ5PV4[/url][/quote]

Troops of Tomorrow was one of my favourite albums back in the day. I still have UK82 on my iPod and listen to it regularly. Blitz were another brilliant band. Very underrated. One of my favourites:

[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=xlAS88lUulM&feature=related"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=xlAS88lUulM&...feature=related[/url]

Theres not many that can combine musicality aggression and energy more than these 3 IMHO.

1.Ali McMordie(SLF)

2. Seggs Jennings (Ruts)

3. Steve Garvey (Buzzcocks)

Learned to play following this deceptively difficult and often dismissed genre. Still obsessed and consumed when i listen to it ;)

Edited by cd_david

[quote name='Brother Jones' post='377090' date='Jan 11 2009, 08:04 PM']......Oh and the bloke from the Bunnymen was pretty good. I used to love playing 'Rescue' which had some funky little moments in it.[/quote]

Les Pattison. Apparently now a boat builder....

• 1 year later...

I cant believe i have owned a bass for 5 months and forgot about the manic bass line of [i]Love song[/i]! and i mean the Damned song, not the much later P.I.L. thing. [b]The Damned [/b]were the first 'proper' band i ever saw. It was 9th April of 1979 and queuing up at a local Chester club named Smartyz hoping i could pass for 18, for the towns biggest gig since the pistols played Quaintways two and a half years earlier. The difference was, this one was packed to the gills with punks, who must have shocked the town by appearing en masse that Monday night. The band eventually came on and blew me away. The club was so small that only half the PA was up and Rat was playing drums set up in the DJ booth (DJ moved to the back) For better or for worse My life was changed that night. I was already a kid punk rocker. I remember the Stranglers Peaches being on the radio in 1977 and loving the baseline even before i knew who JJ burnell was. I had borrowed my mates I[i]n the City [/i]and [i]Rattus Norvegicus [/i]albums, then bought Never mind the B0llocks. But it was all seen from afar till that night. The Captain (Nurses uniform) was still playing bass when i saw them, i think it was him who played bass on [i]Love Song [/i]as well.

Ahh good times, good times. I must have traveled all over and seen 200 bands over the next 3 years. Not bad for a non Londoner, who doesn't have the luxory of being able to go out and see a band any night he wishes. Seen so many i forget most of them. Sometimes ill hear a band or see the name written and it'll come back to me, "Didn't i see them supporting such and such in 1980, at The Band on the wall, Eric's, Electric Ballroom, The Futurama festival". Or wherever it was. I was lucky enough to see the unique [b]Gang of four[/b], gigging their album [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gang_of_Four_(band)"]Entertainment[/url]! at Eric's Liverpool. Andy Gill still had a bloodshot eye from a little disagreement with some NF skinheads in Leeds a few days earlier. It often got very heavy and violent being a punk in those days. Not like today when someone with spikey pink hair walking down the street doesn't raise an eyelid off a pensioner. My mum wouldnt even put one of my punk tee-shirts on the line, as it had a swear word on it!

But the Damned and the Stranglers remained firm favorites. I also saw in later years The Gang of four Entertainment album reach iconic status. With bass luminaries such as Flea stating it as a huge influence.

Oh yes, i have just got the ol bass out and riffed out the bar and a half of the Damned's best bass line. ie: Love Song. Great stuff, how could i of forgot it? (How could i of missed this thread)

Edited by daz