Why become a member? ×

Headless basses

Kevin Dean

• 2 weeks later...

I had a Hohner Jack a number of years ago (late noughties) I used it on gigs quite a bit, it was a very good piece of kit IMHO and I liked it, sounded decent, good range of available tones as i recall, the one I had was black and looked appropriate to what I was doing at the time. Should've kept it probably (like so many others!).. oh yes, and you could kill the active circuit with a switch.. so you don't die if your battery does! 

40 minutes ago, Open E said:

Doesn’t really answer the thread but I had a Status Series 2000 in the late 80s and I was gutted when I found out that the bass player in Bros was using one to mime along with. It was however awesome.

Wasn't that a Hohner Jack?

On 21/07/2016 at 19:32, Bassassin said:

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1469132055' post='3096081']
I always wanted a Westone Superheadless... dreadful name but a cracking instrument. I'd still like one.
[/quote]

That's high on my Headless GASlist too.

No. 1 is a Riverhead Unicorn:

http://medias.audiofanzine.com/images/normal/riverhead-unicorn-rub-1100-custom-bass-821230.jpg

Wanted one of these since 1985. Don't care that it's a bit (a lot!) of a Burns Flyte knockoff...

I found one on kijiji for a good price a couple of years ago, unfortunately a friend got to it before I did. Several weeks later he flipped to me to fund something else he was gassing for.

Great basses!

421ACB0D-4B42-49A3-B2DB-99DFDA5B4CD6.jpeg

I have a whole bunch of headless basses; Steinberger (Newburgh), Spirit, Hohner (3), Status, some stock, some modified. There are also at least 3 waiting for me to finish building. I love the looks of the Riverheads too, just not enough strings.

In the mean time I'm looking to fund an Ibanez EHB1006MS.

Headless rules.

23 hours ago, Open E said:

Doesn’t really answer the thread but I had a Status Series 2000 in the late 80s and I was gutted when I found out that the bass player in Bros was using one to mime along with. It was however awesome.

I was happily being a Metal God playing my black and white Aria ZZB (look, it was the 80s, OK?) when I turned on the telly and there was Rick Mayall using one (upside down, left handed, admittedly) in Bad News 2... 🙁

• Haha 1

I’ve got a Cort headless Flying V guitar.

C6A4436D-4CEA-4E52-B32B-48AC6A8A4083.webp.bfa7e11d01ca86425036fb8f0f2a5416.webp

Though mine is bright yellow at the moment.

One day, many years ago, I saw it’s bass twin in a guitar shop. It took me a couple of days to decide (to convince my wife…) but I went back to get it and it had sold!

2471E491-1A46-487C-8F53-1B6F73ED7B52.webp.241fff78ff78f1df74c631064309668e.webp

Would have been cool to have both. Oh well!

• Like 4

I've just acquired a headless (courtesy of Pete Young on here) short scale - a Honda Alien- and although it was bought for a very specific purpose (getting a bass onto a plane as cheaply as poss), I'm enjoying the form factor of it round the house...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/02/2023 at 17:06, Bassassin said:

That's a pretty decent price for a Jack these days. Looks tidy from the pics.

And it's gone, so someone got a good buy. Nice basses - the neck on the 5-string is a bit on the chunky side but the 4-string is fine. I like the Hohner headlesses enough to have a B2AV as a backup bass - takes up very little room, doesn't need a stand, makes a pretty good noise and reasonably playable.

On 05/02/2023 at 04:06, Bassassin said:

That's a pretty decent price for a Jack these days.

There was one in Australia a while back at a store I passed regularly. I gave it a look, and it was in VGC, but they were after $A1800/UKP1035. I laughed and left. It was still there ~2y later and they still wouldn't budge on price.