Why become a member? ×

Bass players more famous for other things

OldGit

[quote name='cheddatom' post='58261' date='Sep 10 2007, 03:49 PM']I know this might seem stupid to those of you who know what i'm talking about, but, what the hell is that funky bassline that Alan's airbassing to? I really want a copy of that song/album.[/quote]

I tihnk you'll find that was 'Music For Chameleons' by Gary Numan....Pino Palladino was playing with him about that time, not sure if it was him playing

[quote name='bass_in_ya_face' post='58297' date='Sep 10 2007, 04:57 PM']I tihnk you'll find that was 'Music For Chameleons' by Gary Numan....Pino Palladino was playing with him about that time, not sure if it was him playing[/quote]

nah, wasn't Music for Chameleons, was it? I thought it was Mick Karn & Japan. Well whaddya know!

learn summat new every day.

[quote name='bass_in_ya_face' date='Sep 10 2007, 04:57 PM' post='58297']
I tihnk you'll find that was 'Music For Chameleons' by Gary Numan....Pino Palladino was playing with him about that time, not sure if it was him playing

MB1. :)

Correct!....Pino it was!

[quote name='Shaggy' date='Jul 13 2007, 08:07 AM' post='31074']
Jonathan Ross was banging on until fairly recently about learning bass, but I guess he's given up!

Afraid so, gave up after trying to buy a wickenbacker in sound control apparently, wibble,wibble ,wibbly!

Edited by MB1

[quote name='MB1' post='58543' date='Sep 11 2007, 01:30 AM'][quote name='Shaggy' post='31074' date='Jul 13 2007, 08:07 AM'][/quote]
Jonathan Ross was banging on until fairly recently about learning bass, but I guess he's given up!

Afraid so, gave up after trying to buy a wickenbacker in sound control apparently, wibble,wibble ,wibbly!
[/quote]

Yeah The Sound Control Experience makes me want to give up sometimes ....

[quote name='bass_in_ya_face' post='58297' date='Sep 10 2007, 04:57 PM']I tihnk you'll find that was 'Music For Chameleons' by Gary Numan....Pino Palladino was playing with him about that time, not sure if it was him playing[/quote]
Thankyou very much! I'm downloading it as I type.

[quote name='lukeward2004' date='Sep 11 2007, 10:40 AM' post='58615']
Flea from RHCP was in the Back to the Future films...

Nothing Flea himself personally likes to brag about, and i do believe his solicitors will be in touch!
"You wouldnt let it lie!"......

Edited by MB1

[quote name='Scoop' post='58510' date='Sep 10 2007, 11:46 PM']nah, wasn't Music for Chameleons, was it? I thought it was Mick Karn & Japan. Well whaddya know!

learn summat new every day.[/quote]

No, Mr Numan 100%.

I'm a big fan of Pino & Mick Karn. I think Mick Karn played on the 'Dance' album (which he than proceded to slag off in a magazine interview afterwards) and Pino played on the album afterwards...err 'I Assassin' i think. Mick Karn's playing was much better IMHO.

If you like 'Music For Chameleons' it's worth checking out Japan's stuff and Dali's Car.

Edited by bass_in_ya_face

Interesting.

I just downlaoded a Gary Newman & Tubeway Army Greatest Hits! I haven't really heard any Gary Newman before, but I love "Music for Chameleons" the song. I know it from the Alan Partridge DVD menu. I may investigate your suggestions further, seeing as I don't listen to enough music.

[quote name='lukeward2004' post='58615' date='Sep 11 2007, 10:40 AM']Flea from RHCP was in the Back to the Future films...[/quote]
Yeah and he was Donnie the wild boy in the kids cartoon series called The Wild Thornburys too.
However that's the wrong way round as he's better known as a bass player than actor :)

[quote name='cheddatom' date='Sep 11 2007, 03:42 PM' post='58756']
Interesting.

I just downlaoded a Gary Newman & Tubeway Army Greatest Hits! I haven't really heard any Gary Newman before, but I love "Music for Chameleons" the song. I know it from the Alan Partridge DVD menu. I may investigate your suggestions further, seeing as I don't listen to enough music.

Cheddatom!...try..... Brilliant Trees - David Sylvian (ex Japan vocalist) you might like it!

• 3 months later...

The good news: If Mike Huckabee gets the job we may get a bass playing US president
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3o1cNQ92W5w"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3o1cNQ92W5w[/url]
The bad news (IMHO): He's a Republican and a Christian Fundamentalist and, oh dear me, a creationist who believes in Intelegent Design ...
Hummmmmmmmmm

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='OldGit' post='30792' date='Jul 12 2007, 03:37 PM']Well how about that
[url="http://www.film.com/photos/17/15435392"]http://www.film.com/photos/17/15435392[/url]

Daniel Radcliffe and Gary Oldman!

Wizard![/quote]

Chris Morris replaced me in a Cambridge band many years ago.

Not only is he much funnier than me, he was a better bass player too. Bastard!

Ronnie Wood. Apparently he influenced Stanley Clarke from what he did with the Jeff Beck Group. :)

Back when Bill Wyman quit The Stones there was a rumour that Ronnie was going to switch to bass and that Mick Taylor would return to the band. Sounds potty now but I remember that being the talk of the day.

[quote name='Sean' post='113668' date='Jan 4 2008, 06:00 PM']Ronnie Wood. Apparently he influenced Stanley Clarke from what he did with the Jeff Beck Group. :)

Back when Bill Wyman quit The Stones there was a rumour that Ronnie was going to switch to bass and that Mick Taylor would return to the band. Sounds potty now but I remember that being the talk of the day.[/quote]

That would have been one hell of a line-up!

[quote name='elom' post='113853' date='Jan 4 2008, 11:36 PM']Of course all over the news at the moment is possible next President of the USA Mick Huckabee[/quote]

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=2881&view=findpost&p=112954"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=112954[/url]

:)

• 2 months later...