Why become a member? ×

Tuning up

Kevin Dean

The guitarist in my band has to D tune for about 4 songs in our set , He has a spare that is supposed to be already tuned but He seems to take for ever.. Anyway a easy way round it is for me to have a spare or just tune up one semi tone ..The only question I have is this dangerous for the neck ?

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1465050694' post='3064966']
Now't to worry about, but why not fit a Hipshot D tuner to give you the low D on the E string and move your fingerings around for the other notes required?
[/quote] I've tried all of that stuff using a capo etc & I get confused when playing the same songs in other bands that don't need to change key .

Yep I'm going to tune up , I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to damage my neck , last gig He took over 2 mins !!! to tune . What I find really hard to understand is that he has a spare guitar that is supposed to be pre tuned but He stands there tuning the flipping thing ...drives me nuts ....It takes me about 20 seconds . I would use one of my other basses But I use a Roland GR55 .

Guitars can be sensitive to heat and often won't stay in tune when a room warms up. A spare guitar which is 'in tune' at the start of a gig will more often than not need re-tuning when the ambient temperature warms up in my experience.

[quote name='Japhet' timestamp='1465137138' post='3065524']
Guitars can be sensitive to heat and often won't stay in tune when a room warms up. A spare guitar which is 'in tune' at the start of a gig will more often than not need re-tuning when the ambient temperature warms up in my experience.
[/quote]

Very true, especially if the guitarist changes strings a lot.

(That said, 2 mins is a long time !)

To the OP, Kevin - have you spoken to the guitarist and mentioned he's taking a while to get tuned and it's holding things up ?

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1465137682' post='3065529']
2 mins :) Next your going to tell me he didn't do it silently
[/quote]

Ahh, the tuning song.

E E E E Eeeeeeeee E E E Eeeeeeeee,
A A A Aaaaaaa A A A A Aaaaaaaaaaaaaa,
D D D D D D D D D.........

Ow, what the hell did you just slap me for?

E E Eeeeeeee

Yep, won't hurt to go up to F, but if you're still concerned you could try dropping a string gauge, i.e., if you normally use 45-105, try 40-100 etc

EDIT: Or, try a capo, you might be OK with it. Dunno why your guitar player can't just do that too mind you?

Edited by LewisK1975